Converting a dead MES 40" digital (curb freebie) to analog/manual. Advice on temp controller?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Anytime , and back at ya .
This thread inspired me to put a 1500 watt analog controlled element in an old kettle I had sitting out back . I bought it while looking through this thread , and figured what the heck .
Just came up from the shop to wash the metal dust of my face .
View attachment 662996
Oh man that is freakin sweet! I had no idea you had a project like this going on?!
You know what this makes me think of? What if someone did this with a giant clay pot or brick type setup for electric claypot and brick ovens!

You you don't get the wood fired aspect of it (could still burn wood to the side I guess) but you get the benefits of the materials with the simple and low cost heat generation mechanism! :D

Reactions: chopsaw
I had no idea you had a project like this going on?!
I didn't either . Lol . I've had this kettle for a long time . 1974 Happy Cooker . Had some different plans for it , but this thread lead me in this direction .
There's more to it . Comes to me in my dreams . Lol . More to follow . If I don't do a thread , I'll PM you if you want . I cut the mortise for the element small , then worked all that by hand so it wouldn't look sloppy . 10 minutes with a grinder , 3 hours with a file . Lol .
What if someone did this with a giant clay pot or brick type setup for electric claypot and brick ovens!
There was an episode of Good Eats were Alton Brown used a big clay pot for a base , and a smaller clay pot for the lid . Used a 22 " grate , and a hot plate for the heat source , with a skillet and wood chunks . Smoked a pork butt .

By the way , I have the roto ring that has 2 cooking grate levels , and plan to ad access for the temp probe on my Auber . Plug the analog into the 1510 .

I didn't either . Lol . I've had this kettle for a long time . 1974 Happy Cooker . Had some different plans for it , but this thread lead me in this direction .
There's more to it . Comes to me in my dreams . Lol . More to follow . If I don't do a thread , I'll PM you if you want . I cut the mortise for the element small , then worked all that by hand so it wouldn't look sloppy . 10 minutes with a grinder , 3 hours with a file . Lol .

There was an episode of Good Eats were Alton Brown used a big clay pot for a base , and a smaller clay pot for the lid . Used a 22 " grate , and a hot plate for the heat source , with a skillet and wood chunks . Smoked a pork butt .

By the way , I have the roto ring that has 2 cooking grate levels , and plan to ad access for the temp probe on my Auber . Plug the analog into the 1510 .
Man so many cool projects!
If you don't post about it when done feel free to send me any info on it if you like but don't think it is mandatory. I'm simply nerding out on fun projects.

I'm about to start some fun projects on my own that are not cooking related.
Going to begin practicing hydrographic paint dipping so I can paint and dip a few of my plastic/composite hunting rifle stocks.

I'm a fan of savage rifles because I can easily work on them myself but all of mine have the same color and same looking stocks so I have to pick up and put back like 3 different ones before I pull the one I want out of the safe lol.

Hoping to paint them all different colors and do a hunting/camo related hydrographic film dip designs to each one so I can easily tell them all apart for range work or for going out to fill the freezer with wild game :D

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky