1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

MES 130B Questions: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by nkpal624, Dec 11, 2018.

1. nkpal624

nkpal624 Fire Starter

Hi all,

I may have the opportunity to pick up a brand new MES 130B for under $100 at Lowe's this week. My main question is if it is worth the buy. I currently have an offset smoker that I have been using and love but it has a real-estate problem in the fact that I can typically only smoke one or two things at a time. I am considering grabbing an electric smoker to use in tandem with this for longer smokes or multiple side-dishes.

I like the set and forget idea of these electric smokers and from what I've read so far if I pick up one of the A-MAZE-IN Pellet smokers I can achieve that.

Please let me know your thoughts on this particular smoker and if it is worth the buy or I should hold off for a better option when there is more in stock in the spring.

For a little background, I worked at Lowe's for a while and finding deals like this through friends that still work there is not uncommon and I believe I could get a similarly low price (relative to the product) on any smoke that is in the store.

Interested to see what you all think.

Screenshot_20181211-213039_Lowe's.jpg

Thanks,

Nick

2. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I would say grab it.
    I have one just like it that is the JMSS (Signiture Series)
    I modified mine to suit me. The electronic controls are OK for the range they provide.
    But I do cold smoking as well, and for lower temperatures, the stock MES 30 can't hack it.
    So the AMNPS tray completely fills the need. With a "Mailbox Mod" this becomes the Little Smoker that Can!
    That separates the heat and smoke sources, gives you control over both.
    I like being able to do some subtle smoking, then finish cooking other ways.
    My little Smoker that Can has a permanent place next to my Gasser grill on my patio, and fills a tasty nitch.
    I vote for getting it.

3. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nick I have the MES 40 Blue Tooth I use for cold smoking and doing sausage.Last hot smoke I did it would not get above 245*F that was enough for me to finish my cook.
    You will need a good probe to monitor the Cooking Chamber as well as the meat.I cook by meat temp so for that price I would get it
    Richie

4. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit OTBS Member

For under $100 you mentioned I'd get it as an outdoor summer oven or holding oven for gatherings even if you smoke in a different vessel. At least you'll have the option to smoke in that oven. I never have seen a good deal like that for clearance etc on an Mes. I just hear about them and check with no luck. I'd have one at my parent's house, girlfriend's house. They'd be scattered all over the place for under $100.

5. normanaj

normanaj Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Under $100...I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Keep looking after the season you might even find better bargains.I grabbed my second MES30 for $69.99 earlier this year.Its why I have two.

6. PAS

PAS Smoke Blower

7. solman

solman Smoking Fanatic

8. PAS

PAS Smoke Blower

New on the shelf unopened. Also had a friend get one the same day!
    Do a search on top of page (MES 230G). Someone got one for $105.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. nkpal624

nkpal624 Fire Starter

Update: I was able to get the smoker for $90 brand new in the box. I picked it up today and an starting to season it now. I also ordered an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker (5"x8") which will hopefully be here in a few days. My first cook in this smoker will probably be scottish eggs that I found here on the forums. 20181215_130519.jpg 20181215_130534.jpg

10. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

That's a Good price on a good Hybrid smoker.
    They seem to normally run between $119 and $179, with some better sales and some stupid high prices here & there.

The only weakness that one has is that both the heating element & the top Vent are on the right side, but it doesn't seem to affect the 30" as much as it does the 40" Generation #1.

Bear

11. Bearcarver

12. nkpal624

nkpal624 Fire Starter

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I plan on doing my first smoke in the new smoker tomorrow. I will be sure to talk about how it goes and what I have learned from it.

Side Note: BearCarver, I just checked out your post about your different carvings and the step by step. You do some great work. I especially like the 6 footer in the step-by-step. Chainsaw carving is something I have wanted to try to learn for a while but I have not brought myself to do it yet.

13. Bearcarver

Thank You!!
    I wish I could still do that.
    I would love to carve a "Big Foot" or 3.

Bear

14. PAS

PAS Smoke Blower

Congratulations on the smoker. I would recommend you cover the bottom drip tray and top of the chip cover with foil and change if every smoke. I also dont use the water pan so it is removed. You will appreciated the pellet tray also!!