MES 130B Questions: Is it worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
Boston, MA
Hi all,

I may have the opportunity to pick up a brand new MES 130B for under $100 at Lowe's this week. My main question is if it is worth the buy. I currently have an offset smoker that I have been using and love but it has a real-estate problem in the fact that I can typically only smoke one or two things at a time. I am considering grabbing an electric smoker to use in tandem with this for longer smokes or multiple side-dishes.

I like the set and forget idea of these electric smokers and from what I've read so far if I pick up one of the A-MAZE-IN Pellet smokers I can achieve that.

Please let me know your thoughts on this particular smoker and if it is worth the buy or I should hold off for a better option when there is more in stock in the spring.

For a little background, I worked at Lowe's for a while and finding deals like this through friends that still work there is not uncommon and I believe I could get a similarly low price (relative to the product) on any smoke that is in the store.

Interested to see what you all think.

Screenshot_20181211-213039_Lowe's.jpg

Thanks,

Nick

I would say grab it.
I have one just like it that is the JMSS (Signiture Series)
I modified mine to suit me. The electronic controls are OK for the range they provide.
But I do cold smoking as well, and for lower temperatures, the stock MES 30 can't hack it.
So the AMNPS tray completely fills the need. With a "Mailbox Mod" this becomes the Little Smoker that Can!
That separates the heat and smoke sources, gives you control over both.
I like being able to do some subtle smoking, then finish cooking other ways.
My little Smoker that Can has a permanent place next to my Gasser grill on my patio, and fills a tasty nitch.
I vote for getting it.

Nick I have the MES 40 Blue Tooth I use for cold smoking and doing sausage.Last hot smoke I did it would not get above 245*F that was enough for me to finish my cook.
You will need a good probe to monitor the Cooking Chamber as well as the meat.I cook by meat temp so for that price I would get it
Richie

For under $100 you mentioned I'd get it as an outdoor summer oven or holding oven for gatherings even if you smoke in a different vessel. At least you'll have the option to smoke in that oven. I never have seen a good deal like that for clearance etc on an Mes. I just hear about them and check with no luck. I'd have one at my parent's house, girlfriend's house. They'd be scattered all over the place for under $100.

Under $100...I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Keep looking after the season you might even find better bargains.I grabbed my second MES30 for $69.99 earlier this year.Its why I have two.

New on the shelf unopened. Also had a friend get one the same day!
Do a search on top of page (MES 230G). Someone got one for $105.

Last edited:
Update: I was able to get the smoker for $90 brand new in the box. I picked it up today and an starting to season it now. I also ordered an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker (5"x8") which will hopefully be here in a few days. My first cook in this smoker will probably be scottish eggs that I found here on the forums.
20181215_130519.jpg
20181215_130534.jpg

That's a Good price on a good Hybrid smoker.
They seem to normally run between $119 and $179, with some better sales and some stupid high prices here & there.

The only weakness that one has is that both the heating element & the top Vent are on the right side, but it doesn't seem to affect the 30" as much as it does the 40" Generation #1.

Bear

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I plan on doing my first smoke in the new smoker tomorrow. I will be sure to talk about how it goes and what I have learned from it.

Side Note: BearCarver, I just checked out your post about your different carvings and the step by step. You do some great work. I especially like the 6 footer in the step-by-step. Chainsaw carving is something I have wanted to try to learn for a while but I have not brought myself to do it yet.

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I plan on doing my first smoke in the new smoker tomorrow. I will be sure to talk about how it goes and what I have learned from it.

Side Note: BearCarver, I just checked out your post about your different carvings and the step by step. You do some great work. I especially like the 6 footer in the step-by-step. Chainsaw carving is something I have wanted to try to learn for a while but I have not brought myself to do it yet.

Thank You!!
I wish I could still do that.
I would love to carve a "Big Foot" or 3.

Bear

Congratulations on the smoker. I would recommend you cover the bottom drip tray and top of the chip cover with foil and change if every smoke. I also dont use the water pan so it is removed. You will appreciated the pellet tray also!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky