Menu help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
My birthday is on Mon. and what I like to do is cook ( smoke ) for my friends. Planning on Jeffs Bacon Shooters, cheese and crackers for starters. D. W. is doing dessert. I will smoke Costco beef ribs. Question is what to serve as sides with the ribs??? Smoked mac & cheese, cole slaw, potatoes, green salad, baked beans, veggies ???
Any ideas?
Thanks

How about ice cold lettuce wedges, creamy ranch dressing, jalapeno corn bread, , a tangy coleslaw to cut the richness of the ribs, and some smoked baked beans to ladle over the corn bread ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
Smoked App's, Ribs, and Beans is enough Smoke for one meal! Regular Mac & Cheese is great with Q. Coleslaw adds crunch. A Green Salad is always welcomed by most folks...JJ

Reactions: xray and siege
Some good BBQ beans is always good with BBQ. I have found that grilled veggies go very well with BBQ as well. I have a grill wok that I use for this purpose. I really have no recipe but usually follow this basic recipe. I use seasonal vegetables so the recipe changes throughout the year.

Use one of each unless specified other wise.

Red bell pepper
green zucchini squash
Yellow summer squash
Yellow onion
8 oz white mushrooms
8 oz crimini mushrooms
8 oz cherry tomatoes
1 lb asparagus

Cut veggies into bite sized pieces. Put all pieces in a large bowl and add Jeff's Texas Rub. Mix thoroughly.

Add about 2T of olive oil to coat the veggies. Leave to macerate for about an hour.

Cook in grill wok over med-high heat, stirring occasionally, until veggies start to brown.

JC :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

JC, I do something similar, same veggies, marinated in EVOO, Balsamic Vinegar, Garlic and Fresh Basil. I have to give the Rub a shot...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
I’m with JJ and Holly on the smoke. I don’t like everything smoked, it’s usually either or.

The corn that SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan mentioned is good. I haven’t made it for a large scale party though although he has, so I’m not sure how much of a pain it is for larger crowds....but you could make an elote bowl as mentioned in the thread.

For larger crowds, you could do cooler corn.

Or how about a cucumber tomato salad? That could be scaled up pretty quick and it’s a cheap option to fed a crowd...plus it gets better when it sits so you could make it in advance.

As usual you folks are the greatest! Just thought of a side I haven't done for years, red onion cut in half, beef bouillon cube, pat of butter and brown sugar placed on top, wrapped in foil and on the Q for about 45mins. Then a salad, either watermelon, cuc. tom. or coleslaw. Think you guys were right about too much smoke.
Thanks for all the input.
Dale

JC, I do something similar, same veggies, marinated in EVOO, Balsamic Vinegar, Garlic and Fresh Basil. I have to give the Rub a shot...JJ

Oh yes, some balsamic vinegar would really make those veggies sing. I am going to add a bit of that next time around.

Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky