Memphis Ultimate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kiwigirl

Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Hello
I have the Memphis Ultimate. Its been working great but last time I used it the cord got hot. I am currently smoking a 15 pound brisket...about half way through and it keeps tripping the breaker. Changed extension cords and its still tripping the breaker. Any suggestions on what I could try? I have now got our brisket in the charcoal grill using off set heat

Reactions: JLeonard
You MUST plug the unit into a grounded, 3 prong GFI (ground fault interrupter) outlet. Use a 3 prong grounded extension cord rated 12 amps. Or, risk burning down your house.

Reactions: SmokyMose
Welcome to SMF!
As said above an extension cord is a no no, unless it’s at least 12 gauge wire. And they are expensive. You would be better off if you could get the smoker closer to the outlet you are using.
Al

Hello
I have the Memphis Ultimate. Its been working great but last time I used it the cord got hot. I am currently smoking a 15 pound brisket...about half way through and it keeps tripping the breaker. Changed extension cords and its still tripping the breaker. Any suggestions on what I could try? I have now got our brisket in the charcoal grill using off set heat

I had the actual cord heat up on my "Show-Time Rotisserie", years ago.
I thought the cord was too thin, and since I got a Smoker back then, I put it away.
Then a couple months ago I wanted to use it, so I got it out & we looked closer.
It turned out the wire was broken inside the Plug, so all we did was cut the old plug off & put a new one on. Works great now & doesn't heat up at all.

Bear

Reactions: Kiwigirl
You MUST plug the unit into a grounded, 3 prong GFI (ground fault interrupter) outlet. Use a 3 prong grounded extension cord rated 12 amps. Or, risk burning down your house.
Thanks for responding. That's what I had it plugged in to. We have it at our trailer park so they came and set us up with an additional 30 amp outlet. The cord on the smoker is super short so the electrician is going to replace it and wire directly from the smoker to the 30 amp outlet. Brisket was amazing even though I did have to finish it on the charcoal grill side with off set heat and wood chips.

Using a extension cord is not recommended. It is probably not heavy enough to carry the load. Can you plug in directly to an outlet? If not. Then you'll need to get a extension cord that is either 14 ga. Or 12 ga wire.
Thanks for responding. That's what I had it plugged in to. We have it at our trailer park so they came and set us up with an additional 30 amp outlet. The cord on the smoker is super short so the electrician is going to replace it and wire directly from the smoker to the 30 amp outlet. Brisket was amazing even though I did have to finish it on the charcoal grill side with off set heat and wood chips.

Thanks for responding. We have it at our trailer park so they came and set us up with an additional 30 amp outlet. The cord on the smoker is super short so the electrician is going to replace it and wire directly from the smoker to the 30 amp outlet. Brisket was amazing even though I did have to finish it on the charcoal grill side with off set heat and wood chips.

Welcome to SMF!
As said above an extension cord is a no no, unless it’s at least 12 gauge wire. And they are expensive. You would be better off if you could get the smoker closer to the outlet you are using.
Al
Thanks for responding. We have it at our trailer park so they came and set us up with an additional 30 amp outlet. The cord on the smoker is super short so the electrician is going to replace it and wire directly from the smoker to the 30 amp outlet. Brisket was amazing even though I did have to finish it on the charcoal grill side with off set heat and wood chips.

Nice save!
Glad your brisket turned out so well!
Al

Reactions: Kiwigirl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky