Memphis Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Ok. I admit it. I am a wet rib junky. I like those sweet/spicy/sticky ribs. However, I am also addicted to experimenting. So, while I had made Memphis style rubs, I haven't done dry Memphis style ribs. This is my effort.

First, let me apologize to anyone from Memphis. This is a fat old Canadian's attempt at your great dish so it is doomed to not be authentic.

I started by making a Memphis Rub:

125 ml (1/2 cup) paprika

90 ml (1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon) brown sugar

50 ml (1/4 cup) garlic powder

25 ml (2 tablespoons) black pepper

25 ml (2 tablespoons) ginger

25 ml (2 tablespoons) onion powder

15 ml (1 tablespoon) thyme

15 ml (1 tablespoon) oregao

15 ml (1 tablespoon) kosher salt

Of course I made a classy, home made container for my creation.

I took the silverskin off the back of the ribs.

I gave them a good rub with the spices and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge.

Into the pellet smoker preheated to 230 F with apple pellets in the smoker and the A-Maze-N Tube smoker. Note I put the probe from my Blue Therm Duo into the ribs. I cook by temperature and not time. I also don't foil.

While the ribs were cooking, I made a mop sauce:

125 ml (1/2 cup) cider vinegar

25 ml (2 tablespoons) prepared mustard

I cooked the ribs for 2 hours and gave a brush with the mop sauce and a sprinkle more rub.

After another hour I gave another mop and rub sprinkle.

I cooked to an internal temperature of 190 F and gave it another mop and rub sprinkle.

I smoked for another 40 minutes and took them off.

Let them rest and then cut them into single ribs.

We served it with a couple of great salads and garlic bread.

You'll note a bite pulls clean from the bone but the meat doesn't fall off the bone.

The Verdict

I can see why people love Memphis ribs. They have a great crust with a spicy/herby taste that is very good.

I still prefer wet ribs but these dry beauties will be regulars in the rotation!

Disco

Good looking ribs, Disco! I've only tried dry ribs once and there's a reason only once. I will have to try your rub recipe and give them another go.

Good looking ribs, Disco! I've only tried dry ribs once and there's a reason only once. I will have to try your rub recipe and give them another go.
I will agree I prefer wet ribs but these were good. They aren't as sweet as wet ribs and She Who Must Be Obeyed did have bbq sauce on the side and dipped. I tried one and it was very good too.

Thanks for the kind words.

Disco

Ribs look great Disco! I really prefer simple dry ribs over sauced. My boys like the saucy ribs.
I'm with your boys but these did taste pretty good. 

Question for you, Case. Have you ever tried to run your mini at lower temperatures? 150-180 F?

Very tasty lookin ribs Disco, we really like Memphis Style ! :drool I owe you a point, I'm over my limit today !

Very tasty lookin ribs Disco, we really like Memphis Style !
drool.gif
I owe you a point, I'm over my limit today !
Har! No points necessary, Justin. The kind words are more than enough!

Looks tasty,I'll be trying your rub! I prefer dry ribs most of the time.

Looks tasty,I'll be trying your rub! I prefer dry ribs most of the time.
Thanks, B1. It is a new thing for me. The rub only has a little sugar and more herbs. Very tasty but I am still a wet rib guy.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky