Memorial Day Weekend Menus?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
on my new Lang smoker/gill i think i will do about 3 racks of candy apple red bbq baby backs and a lemon pepper chicken smoked...some fish, pork chops, and hamburgers grilled.

Try to take all the pics i can of my cook and make a thread or two!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Can I ask what candy apple red is? Kind of sounds good.

I've read mixed reviews on fresh ham and whether it's too lean to cook to 200 and pull for pulled pork sandwiches. Has anyone done it and confirm it's not too dry? My thought was a 4-6 hour smoke to get a bit of bark and smoke flavor, and then finish in the oven or on the grill at 325 or so to keep it from running for ridiculously long on the smoker. If it has to be a slicing roast, I can probably get it to 160 in a reasonable time, I'm thinking...

You aren't old enough to know that color.
It was most popular on Hot Rods back in the 50s & 60s. (See Pic below)
Bear
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 11.00.17 AM.png

I've read mixed reviews on fresh ham and whether it's too lean to cook to 200 and pull for pulled pork sandwiches. Has anyone done it and confirm it's not too dry? My thought was a 4-6 hour smoke to get a bit of bark and smoke flavor, and then finish in the oven or on the grill at 325 or so to keep it from running for ridiculously long on the smoker. If it has to be a slicing roast, I can probably get it to 160 in a reasonable time, I'm thinking...

Similar to a Pork Butt, but not quite as good. IMHO
Mine go to about 205° for pulling.
But if you want it tender & able to slice, I would go to the 190° to 195° range.

Bear

it is a sauce i make leaves my ribs candy apple red color (see my avatar) and take kinda candy applish in flavor
i have updated it recently i am going to post at the bottom -- it is design not to burn to a dark color under lower temps so if you keep it 250-275 you should get a nice red color on your ribs...

IMG_20170701_105029.jpg

Candy Apple Red Sauce
1/4 stick margarine or butter(butter prefered)
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup AC vinegar
1/4 cup of apple juice
3/4 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic
3 Tbsp paprika (mild)

mix ingredients in a small pot.
bring to low boil and simmer for 20 minutes. let sit in fridge after cooling for a couple of hours.

can substitute brown sugar for raw sugar but will burn much easier.
can spice it up with cayenne pepper and hot paprika.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

going to brothers house for house warming saturday - im bringing the bourbon and sparkling, chicken thighs and tri-tip sunday, golf monday morning so hot dogs that night.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Nothing to crazy this year.Usually we'd be at a friends house that we've been going to for the past 16yrs but alas that ain't happening this year.

A rack of ribs for the wife and I tomorrow.Race night I'm thinking a flank steak maybe.I'm hoping to bang some bluefish this weekend...they should be here by now.

Tonight it's Reuben sammies and onion rings. Not getting home until 7PM. So easy meal tonight.
Tomorrow still not 100% sure yet. Leaning towards a shrimp dish. Or a chuck tender in the smoker.
Monday it'll be surf and turf. Rib Eyes. And Goody Girl taters.

Was hoping to do a nice butt or chuckie, but it looks like rain here on and off all weekend. Since the only smokers I now have are electrical appliances, and I don't have a covered outdoor spot, I'm sticking to short smokes. I'm thinking pork loin and meatloaf. Sure do miss my old stick burner sometimes!!

Today smoking a butt, already 16.5 hours in and just hit 190', wrapped and waiting 203'. plus a rack of Spare Ribs. Tomorrow Chicken kabobs on the grill. Monday Italian Hot Dogs. I too was hoping to do a Brisket, but pricing is ridiculous.

Tri tip French dips.
Smoked turkey breast open face Thanksgiving sandwiches with cranberry, stuffing/ dressing and gravy.
St Louis ribs. Dutches Baked beans or corn on the cob and rainbow macaroni salad and sliced watermelon or Strawberry short cakes and gallons of sweet tea. Its gonna be hot here the next few days they are calling for 100* plus..............yuck!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky