Memorial Day Vietnam Story

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Since it's time again to remember our fallen Brothers I thought it was a good time to tell an old True story I remember from Vietnam.
I told this on another Thread, but thought I should give it a Thread of it's own.

This happened over 49 years ago:

When I was in Vietnam, we caught our Base Camp Mess Sgt taking our monthly ration of Steaks & selling them to the Vietnamese in "My Tho".
No--Nobody Fragged his Butt, however they shipped him out to protect him from the rest of us, after they busted him.

So from that day forward, we voted to save the Steaks, and not let the cooks ruin them by making them in the Mess Hall. Army cooks were Great at ruining any kind of food they came in contact with. That's why all the guys in my Hooch had at least 2 cases of C-Rations under our bunks.

Instead, we had a Company picnic once a month.
if you weren't out in the boonies at that time, you were invited.

We had a few 50 gallon drums cut in half , with Framed mesh wire for grill racks, and we made Chicken Drums & Thighs, and Steaks. We also washed out a Jeep Trailer & packed it with Ice & Beer (cans of 3.2 Beer).

End of Story.

Bear

Great story John!
I was never in the service, I was married with children at 19, so no draft for me.
I often wonder how my life would have changed had I gone to Vietnam.
Al

Thanks for sharing . I like to hear the stories , I know some aren't easy to remember .
Can't trust a guy with your food ,,,, that's just wrong .

This comment was from Gwanger:
I deleted your duplicate thread & he had already responded so his post was deleted too.
So here is what he wrote.

Bear
I wasn't able to go bc of health reasons and football injuries, but tried bc all my friends were sent to vietnam or Germany.Thank you for your service time and coming back alive. I love all your posts.

Thank you for your service Bearcarver! I hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable Memorial Day. I will raise my glass and toast you and all the other brave men and women who protect our freedoms. Happy Memorial Day!

Since it's time again to remember our fallen Brothers I thought it was a good time to tell an old True story I remember from Vietnam.
I told this on another Thread, but thought I should give it a Thread of it's own.

This happened over 49 years ago:

When I was in Vietnam, we caught our Base Camp Mess Sgt taking our monthly ration of Steaks & selling them to the Vietnamese in "My Tho".
No--Nobody Fragged his Butt, however they shipped him out to protect him from the rest of us, after they busted him.

So from that day forward, we voted to save the Steaks, and not let the cooks ruin them by making them in the Mess Hall. Army cooks were Great at ruining any kind of food they came in contact with. That's why all the guys in my Hooch had at least 2 cases of C-Rations under our bunks.

Instead, we had a Company picnic once a month.
if you weren't out in the boonies at that time, you were invited.

We had a few 50 gallon drums cut in half , with Framed mesh wire for grill racks, and we made Chicken Drums & Thighs, and Steaks. We also washed out a Jeep Trailer & packed it with Ice & Beer (cans of 3.2 Beer).

End of Story.

Bear
I was thanking you for your service for fighting in our worst war for the abuse you guys were subjected to during and after. I lost some close friends and those that returned were very affected by the war, thank you for your time in service and for all your posts, they are the best!!

Good story Bear, I missed the draft by a few years, but many good folks in my area went and some didn't make it back. Our high school football field was renamed after the first graduate of our school not to make it back.

Chris

Oh gosh! 3.2 beer! That brings back memories....

LOL---Funny how after you drink enough 3.2 Beer, they seem to effect you just as much as the stateside real beer.

And at $2.40 per case, we had no complaints!!:D

Bear

Great story John!
I was never in the service, I was married with children at 19, so no draft for me.
I often wonder how my life would have changed had I gone to Vietnam.
Al

Thank You Al.
Hard to say, some people it might have helped but not as many as it hurt.

Bear

Thanks for sharing . I like to hear the stories , I know some aren't easy to remember .
Can't trust a guy with your food ,,,, that's just wrong .

I hate to say it, but that guy actually helped us, because the Grilled Chicken & Steaks we made were a lot better tasting than the garbage served in the Mess Hall. And the Beer wasn't bad either.
I could tell a lot of stories, without even getting into the bad, gory, or scary ones!!

The one I told here just fit right on this Holiday on a Smoking forum.

Bear

Thank you for your service Bearcarver! I hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable Memorial Day. I will raise my glass and toast you and all the other brave men and women who protect our freedoms. Happy Memorial Day!

Thank You Erik!
We all Appreciate that.

Bear

I was thanking you for your service for fighting in our worst war for the abuse you guys were subjected to during and after. I lost some close friends and those that returned were very affected by the war, thank you for your time in service and for all your posts, they are the best!!

Thank You.
And I Thank You for those who gave their all.
They deserve all the praise they get.

Bear

Thanks for the great story Bear, and a Big Thank you to all that were, and are in the Military

Gary

Cheers to you John.
And just so you know, I’ve got something in my raised hand that’s a little better than that old 3.2 . B

Thank You Gary, Brian, Justin, and Joe!!
I'm glad you all liked my Story.
Have a Great & Safe Memorial Day!!

Bear

Bear,

My heart goes out to you and all those who served in Vietnam. Most of my friends who went never returned alive. I visited my dear old dad's grave (WWII Vet) Saturday and just couldn't contain myself thinking of that Great Generation and all those who followed them. Thanks Bear and to your comrades for your service! It's men and women like you who made this country the greatest!

I drank several Iron City Beers (local beer here in Pittsburgh) yesterday in tribute to those who drank it prior to leaving their homes to go off to war.

Sincerely,

John

Last edited:
Brother John as always thank you for your service and the little story.
Richie
memorial_day_two_flags_animation.gif

Bear,

My heart goes out to you and all those who served in Vietnam. Most of my friends who went never returned alive. I visited my dear old dad's grave (WWII Vet) Saturday and just couldn't contain myself thinking of that Great Generation and all those who followed them. Thanks Bear and to your comrades for your service! It's men and women like you who made this country the greatest!

I drank several Iron City Beers (local beer here in Pittsburgh) yesterday in tribute to those who drank it prior to leaving their homes to go off to war.

Sincerely,
John

Thank You Much, John!!

Bear

Brother John as always thank you for your service and the little story.
Richie
View attachment 365573

Thank You My Brother Richie!!
And right back at you, on this Memorial Day!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky