Memorial Day Brisket And A Couple Yard Birds w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Haven't smoked a brisket in quite awhile and just happened to have a couple hanging out in my freezer I had stashed away. What better day to do it than Memorial Day? Had stopped in the grocery a couple days prior and picked up a couple whole chickens on manager clearance for $.72 a lb so figured why the hell not throw them on too.

So the original plan was to put the brisket on Sunday night and let it roll all night. Well I spent all day Saturday and Sunday doing yard work and was dead tired Sunday night and fell asleep about 10. Plan B...hot and fast. Have only done it one time on a butt and wasn't a fan of the results but was out of options at this point.

Here she is:
Memorial1.jpg

Trimmed about 3 pounds of fat off and seasoned up with Miners Mix XXX Garlic.
Memorial2.jpg

Into the smoker running about 300. Hickory and Apple were the only things I had on hand so mixed the two. Nice TBS.
Memorial3.jpg

Got the two birds spatched and ready. Both were about 7 pounds a piece. Injected one with creole garlic and seasoned both with Tony C's No Salt.
Memorial4.jpg

Running about 325 with a small pan of beans getting some smoke.
Memorial5.jpg

Grilled some Corn.
Memorial7.jpg

Birds out and pulled.
Memorial6.jpg

Memorial8.jpg

Let the brisket rest for about an hour. It took about 6 hours to get to 203 and get nice and jiggly.
Memorial9.jpg

Memorial10.jpg

Memorial11.jpg

Flat and Point both sliced up.
Memorial12.jpg

Kept the sides simple...some smoked beans, grilled corn, and a couple hush puppies.
Memorial13.jpg

Ok so the verdict on the hot and fast. I was highly surprised and impressed. Just as good if not better than the ones that take 18-20 hours. The thing was moist, juicy, and had great bend. Forgot to mention earlier I wrapped it in butcher paper around 165 and let it ride the rest of the way. The chicken was also moist and had great smoke flavor. No BBQ sauce was even needed. Great memorial day and a big thank you to all of those who have served our country! Thanks for looking.

John

Every little things looks to be absolutely smoked to perfection John, big Like! Love the prices you got too, that'd be worth another Like if I could! I'm too old to stay up 18 hours tending the fire, I'll soon do a brisket on my SQ36 hot and fast, 7-8 hours piece of cake. RAY

That looks truly amazing! Thank you for sharing this beautiful meal with us. I’m heartbroken as I currently can’t find brisket, and if I could, couldn’t afford it with the current prices. Maybe someday...

Reactions: xray
NICE! Hellofadeal on that brisket! I failed at picture taking this weekend. but it was similar to yours!

Wow...what a stellar meal!! That is the epitome of the perfect Memorial Day weekend back yard BBQ. You nailed it across the board. I read this earlier but did not respond. When I came back into the forum I was about half expecting to see this on the ride. It is certainly worthy!! Great job my friend and here's a roll of quarters for the hopeful recognition that's well deserved.

I want some of that dinner!!
Robert

Nailed it... all of it... amazing! Great cook sir! Phenomenal! Complete package. Ride worthy!
I swear I can almost jiggle the brisket from here haha!
p.s. my only hot and fast attempt looked nothing like this. I failed bad, but this makes me want to go back and try again!

Zach appreciate the kind words man! Nothing like picking up that brisket and it just feels like jello in your hands. I too had only tried hot and fast once and it sucked so stayed away but didn't have a choice yesterday and it worked out well. I would give it another shot just don't experiment on one of those CPB briskets haha

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Zach appreciate the kind words man! Nothing like picking up that brisket and it just feels like jello in your hands. I too had only tried hot and fast once and it sucked so stayed away but didn't have a choice yesterday and it worked out well. I would give it another shot just don't experiment on one of those CPB briskets haha
I'll revisit for sure. Your post gives me hope!

Sad thing is those CPB briskets are cheaper than Costco right now! Last trip the primes were 5.19/pound! Usually 2.99-3.49.

I think I may try one again next time hot and fast.

Every little things looks to be absolutely smoked to perfection John, big Like! Love the prices you got too, that'd be worth another Like if I could! I'm too old to stay up 18 hours tending the fire, I'll soon do a brisket on my SQ36 hot and fast, 7-8 hours piece of cake. RAY

Ray appreciate it my friend! The prices were great. Couldn't turn that down. Thinking I might make the wife some chicken salad out of the leftovers. If you can score a brisket try it out man 6-8 hours and you will be in brisket heaven!

That looks truly amazing! Thank you for sharing this beautiful meal with us. I’m heartbroken as I currently can’t find brisket, and if I could, couldn’t afford it with the current prices. Maybe someday...

Thanks Lance! I had gotten this one a couple months ago for $1.99 lb. They were running them $2.99 lb this past week. Have heard other folks around the country saying they want an astronomical amount for them though.

Reactions: lancep
NICE! Hellofadeal on that brisket! I failed at picture taking this weekend. but it was similar to yours!

Thanks Dave! Yeah that price was a hell of a steal. Got one more in the freezer. And no worries on the pics man it happen sometimes haha would have loved to have seen it though! Did you go the hot and fast route as well?

Wow...what a stellar meal!! That is the epitome of the perfect Memorial Day weekend back yard BBQ. You nailed it across the board. I read this earlier but did not respond. When I came back into the forum I was about half expecting to see this on the ride. It is certainly worthy!! Great job my friend and here's a roll of quarters for the hopeful recognition that's well deserved.

I want some of that dinner!!
Robert

Edit: thing is being a POS right now and giving me errors!

Thanks man! I remembered your last brisket post a couple weeks ago rolling hot and fast and that kind of pushed me. It was either hot and fast or no brisket yesterday and damnit I wanted some brisket!

I'll revisit for sure. Your post gives me hope!

Sad thing is those CPB briskets are cheaper than Costco right now! Last trip the primes were 5.19/pound! Usually 2.99-3.49.

I think I may try one again next time hot and fast.

That's crazy! This one was angus choice for $1.99 lb and running $2.99 lb this past week. I have never seen one like the CPB you posted in your thread. I have seen Roberts but never really noticed how little fat there was until I saw yours.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky