Meat Prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marylandsmoker

Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
South MD
How much do you guys pay for meat?? I know it depends on the quality but how a bout an average quality pork butt about 8 lbs. or even a brisket? Im new to smoking big slabs of meat. Just wanted an idea of how much to pay.

Last edited:
That depends. For festivals and events I am buying from my local Sam's Club and seeing Boston Butt for $1.36/lbs and packer brisket for $2.24/lbs. For my own personal consumption I am paying $1.56/lbs for organic Boston Butt and $2.79/lbs for packer briskets.

okay great. I was looking online  and was finding $50-$60 briskets. and other very expensive stuff. ill check out sams club next. thanks again

This is good information. My best place for meat around here is Stater Brothers. In most cases  they have beaten Sam's club prices! Plus they actually have a real butcher on premises these days! Unfortunately I don't recall the exact price I paid last week on the Boston Butt I got there.

As we head into the holiday season beef prices will usually go up as suppliers take advantage of people making big dinners for family, especially on primes and tenderloins...not that I could afford those anyway...lol.

When I'm doing pulled pork shoulders for the office, we get them in the 2 per pack cryo-vac packages at Sam's Club.  I have found the price on the single price at the display counter is always higher (which is nothing more than a 2 pack busted open and repackaged).  Sometimes they don't even have the 2 packs on display and I have to ask for them.  I usually get the case price when buying them that way too.  Lowest I got this year was $1.19 per pound and most recent was $1.39.  Single pack that same day was $1.79

Oh, sort of off topic but they will also sell you the big thick Nathan's hot dogs like they sell at the front snack counter.  You have to buy a case and it's around $85.  They also have the Nathan's potato buns for the dogs.  Not exactly smoking meats, but those dogs are a crowd pleaser for a summer get together.  They come in several cryo-vac packages in the case box so you are not stuck with dealing with 96 dogs if you don't need to.  I like to hit them with a little olive oil, sprinkle them with Q-rub and grill 'em up......

Last edited:
Last week at Sam's I got the 2 pack cryo pork butts for either $1.48 or $1.68/lb...I really can't recall which.  I also got a prime packer brisket for $2.48.  I'm almost scary surprised by what a prime brisket goes for there.  Makes me wonder, but I've seen it three times like that now (I really only go to Sam's when I need smoking meat, which is much rarer than I'd like).  Every time I've gotten a prime brisket for around 2.50, and the choice ones 6 ft down the case are about .10/lb less. 

This was the first time I've bought pork butts at Sam's (I'm recently converted from Costco), and I wasn't impressed.  They were big (a total of 21 lbs for the pair), but one had some black stuff on one side that appeared to be blood (dark red, almost black, and not runny, more like a gel) along with some other stuff I couldn't decipher what it was (almost like a big vein, firm white thing) that I hadn't seen before on a butt.  This was on the smaller of the two, and it cooked up a lot different.  Much tougher than the larger one, which was so tender I couldn't pull it out of the foil in one piece...even using both hands!  I mixed the two meats together, and the end product tasted fine, but I was thinking the whole time how much better it could have been.  The briskets I've got their, however, have been the best that I've ever made.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky