drying biltongfor weeks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatfucreilly

Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Hey so heres the scenario

I am making my 3rd batch of biltong.
I have a biltong container with vents and a fan.
This time, I tried something new.
I hung the meat up as usual but this time put the box outside and left it without the fan running.
Without much airflow it has been slow to dry.
I am now on day 10 and I can see that some of the meat is finally turning dark.
In my previous experience it was day 3 or 4 that it would turn dark with the fan running.
It doesnt smell off. It smells normal.

I am just worrying that it is left out to dry too long.

My question is, does anyone have any experience slow drying biltong? is slow drying even a thing? how can I know if im going to poison myself?

FFC, I have never done that as I use the fans and go 3-4 days.I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve . What are the outside temps and if going that route did you add any cure ?

What was your reasoning for moving it outside as opposed to your usual proven method? Also, what is your outside temp these days?

Temperature and HUMIDITY will play a big part in the drying process. If you followed good practices for the biltong prep you should be fine IF the humidity is low enoguh for the meat to dry. Too low and it'll case harden, too high and it may not dry before mold sets in.

What was your reasoning for moving it outside as opposed to your usual proven method? Also, what is your outside temp these days?
I'm guessing that he's doing what a lot of us do, experimenting...

Missed something...

The nose knows a lot of the time if the meat is off. Also, mold setting in that is black or green is a very good indication that you may have issues.

If you used the vinegar and salting method at the concentrations that most do, you should be ok, but as I said above, humidity may be your enemy on this one.

I have never made it but I have read a lot about it. This forum has a lot of info on it.
Hopefully I am allowed to post this link. It is just one link, I'm sure if you search the forum you will find more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky