Meat Fest Competition cook 20 MAY 2023

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. Well, it was quite a weekend here in Green Bay. I competed in the first annual Meat Fest in Green Bay and there was a chicken wing cook. Although my wings turned out as expected I didn't place in either the public or judged events. Really bummed as I thought my wings turned out perfectly. Skin was perfect bite through. Here are some pics. Wings were judged on flavor only.

JC :emoji_cat:

Attachments

• box.jpeg
    box.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Cook.jpeg
    Cook.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 53
  • tray.jpeg
    tray.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 53
What rub did you use ? They judged on flavor maybe they preferred a different profile. Cause yours look great.

Here was my formula:

RUB:

Whiskey Bent - Bird
Killer Hogs Original mixed with baking powder

Sauce:

Sauced with Killer Hogs Original mixed with Franks Red Hot (Not too spicy)

They were technically perfect IMHO. Maybe not the flavor profile folks were looking for?

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Look great to me! Hope you had a good time.
Sheesh what do they know! Looks like winners to me!

Jim

They look good

Thanks. They really did turn out well for flavor and texture. Just wasn't my day.

A good sunburn and a hole in my wallet is about all I got to show on Monday morning. :emoji_laughing:😂:emoji_laughing:

Worst thing is I dropped my smoker when I was unloading it. I don't think there is any major damage to her. The one good thing is she is built like a tank so if there is damage, some metal and a welder will be all I need to make it right.

Reactions: JLeonard
Here was my formula:

RUB:

Whiskey Bent - Bird
Killer Hogs Original mixed with baking powder

Sauce:

Sauced with Killer Hogs Original mixed with Franks Red Hot (Not too spicy)

They were technically perfect IMHO. Maybe not the flavor profile folks were looking for?

That makes it tough when all they judge is taste. I’d chalk’s it up to them being excess cigarette smokers with bad tastebuds. Yup that’s what it was for sure.

Those wings sure look good to me! (About perfect IMO). Did you get a chance to ask the winners what their flavor profile was like?
Nice smoker 👍

Reactions: JC in GB
Those wings sure look good to me! (About perfect IMO). Did you get a chance to ask the winners what their flavor profile was like?
Nice smoker 👍

No I didn't. Would have liked to get a taste if the winning wing though to see where I went wrong. I could just chalk it up to no one in Green Bay knows what good BBQ is. :emoji_laughing: 😂

What can I say?, I had a good cook. My wings turned out better than my practice runs so I was really happy with my turn in.

No I didn't. Would have liked to get a taste if the winning wing though to see where I went wrong. I could just chalk it up to no one in Green Bay knows what good BBQ is. :emoji_laughing: 😂

What can I say?, I had a good cook. My wings turned out better than my practice runs so I was really happy with my turn in.

Maybe wearing a Cheese Hat would have swayed the judges decision. :emoji_laughing:

In a previous thread I think we had a conversation about the visual appeal of flats verses drumettes, and looking at your pictures, both of them look pretty good to me. Even though the judges are scoring for taste, it's hard for the brain to disregard appearance. Did they happen to rank all the teams in order of scores or did they only list the top 4 or 5? And do you happen to know how many judges there were?

The best thing is, you had fun and that's what counts.

Those look pretty dang good to me and what thirdeye said, having fun and cooking good grub is the real deal!

That makes it tough when all they judge is taste. I’d chalk’s it up to them being excess cigarette smokers with bad tastebuds. Yup that’s what it was for sure.
LoL. 10 years ago I competed in a wing cook off where I seen 3 of 5 judges. Inside a smoking area section with a mixed drink and cigarette in their hand. Finished my smoke and headed back to tent. Immediately grabbed my hot cajun spice and lit their a$$ up.
Took second!

In a previous thread I think we had a conversation about the visual appeal of flats verses drumettes, and looking at your pictures, both of them look pretty good to me. Even though the judges are scoring for taste, it's hard for the brain to disregard appearance. Did they happen to rank all the teams in order of scores or did they only list the top 4 or 5? And do you happen to know how many judges there were?

The best thing is, you had fun and that's what counts.

5 judges for the second round. I didn't get a ranking for that one. First round was public taste and vote. I think there were 25 judges for the public round. I finished second to last in the public. I was really surprised as my cook went off nearly perfectly. Just like my training runs. I know you can't win them all but when the cook goes this well for me, I usually place. My last competition didn't go well and my cook was off. I knew I wasn't going to win SH*T and I didn't. LOL

This was the first Meat Fest and they asked for suggestions. I said I wanted to do St Louis cut ribs for next year's contest. We will see what happens.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky