Competition wing cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
All,

I am going to be competing in the Green Bay Meat Fest on 20 MAY 2023. The competition is for chicken wings.

Anyone ever do competition wings? Any hints, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My basic strategy is:

Chicken rub (forgot the name of it) :emoji_disappointed: then hickory smoke @ 300 - 325 F

toss with BBQ sauce and some Frank's Red Hot then a sprinkle of Killer Hogs Original on the back end.

Thanks for any advice you provide.

JC :emoji_cat:

I've never competed, but would suggest going with regional flavors.

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
Is it like a KCBS event or just for fun? Competition Q and backyard Q are quite a bit different. Judges looking for regional things and like sweeter sauces. I think you have a pretty good plan though. What are you cooking them on? I like to do wings on the kettle and it's hard to argue with the bird parts that come off of the kettle with the vortex. Crispy skin is a must.

Is it like a KCBS event or just for fun? Competition Q and backyard Q are quite a bit different. Judges looking for regional things and like sweeter sauces. I think you have a pretty good plan though. What are you cooking them on? I like to do wings on the kettle and it's hard to argue with the bird parts that come off of the kettle with the vortex. Crispy skin is a must.

Thanks for your reply.

That is a very good question. I think the formal rules will be presented closer to the competition. Right now, they just have wings and quantity for the cook. I am thinking this is NOT a sanctioned event just a backyard competition as there are 2 judging events, public and private judging.

I am going to cook them in my Stump's Baby gravity charcoal smoker. I can run that smoker up to 350 degrees if needed.

I am thinking this is NOT a sanctioned event just a backyard competition as there are 2 judging events, public and private judging.
"Backyard" events can have two meanings, as it often means a more informal competition with whatever standards and judging protocols that the organizers want...which is fine. But Backyard is also a KCBS sanctioned event, with the same rules and judged to the same standards as the KCBS Master division, except Backyard is usually two meats (always chicken and ribs, in my experience) while the Masters also have to cook brisket and pork shoulder. Which is also fine.

Just follow whatever rules they give you, and have fun with it. Your cook plan sounds good. Maybe consider brining the wings first, and do a practice cook or three to get your recipe dialed in. As noted, you want bite-through (or crispy) skin on the chicken. The higher temps you propose will help avoid the rubbery skin that is so often a problem with smoked chicken.

Don't forget to present the wings in as appetizing manner as possible. Even if the judges aren't giving an appearance score, people eat first with their eyes. Google some examples of BBQ turn-in boxes to see what I mean.

• Love
"Backyard" events can have two meanings, as it often means a more informal competition with whatever standards and judging protocols that the organizers want...which is fine. But Backyard is also a KCBS sanctioned event, with the same rules and judged to the same standards as the KCBS Master division, except Backyard is usually two meats (always chicken and ribs, in my experience) while the Masters also have to cook brisket and pork shoulder. Which is also fine.

Just follow whatever rules they give you, and have fun with it. Your cook plan sounds good. Maybe consider brining the wings first, and do a practice cook or three to get your recipe dialed in. As noted, you want bite-through (or crispy) skin on the chicken. The higher temps you propose will help avoid the rubbery skin that is so often a problem with smoked chicken.

Don't forget to present the wings in as appetizing manner as possible. Even if the judges aren't giving an appearance score, people eat first with their eyes. Google some examples of BBQ turn-in boxes to see what I mean.

Thanks for that information. This group is pretty new to the area so I really don't know what rules they will be using.

My presentation skills are horrid so I got a couple team mates to help with presentation.

I am going to do my first practice wing cook this weekend. If I have enough time, I was planning on doing a marinade or injection.

My basic strategy is:

Chicken rub (forgot the name of it) :emoji_disappointed: then hickory smoke @ 300 - 325 F

toss with BBQ sauce and some Frank's Red Hot then a sprinkle of Killer Hogs Original on the back end.

The best thing is, you will have plenty of practice time, and everyone loves wings. I can share a few things from a cook's side and a judges side...

Flats generally score better than drumettes. Flats are more uniform so they cook more consistently. They just have better eye appeal. I like to buy whole wings and trim myself, the bulk bags of pre-trimmed can have some rough cuts. There is a little flap of skin on one side of the flat that gets trimmed off.

Brine them for 2 or 3 hours, lightly rinse and blot dry. Rest them if you have time. I like Kosmos Chicken Soak or LC Fowl Play, but you can make a homemade brine too. Low sodium chicken stock works in a pinch. Some cooks inject the brine too.

Season with whatever rub(s) you like, and cook them hot, turning as needed to set the rub and balance out the color. I cook until the internal is in the high 190°s, but you will figure out your sweet spot during practice. Your next choice is crispy skin, or an easy bite 'butter bath' skin. Either way works fine.

Dunk in sauce and move to a small rack to drain. This prevents brush marks. Setting the sauce does not take any time at all. Maybe 2 minutes in your smoker. Watch the hot sauce. What you like might not be what the judges like. And too spicy might offend a couple of judges.

• Love
Reactions: TNJAKE and JC in GB
The best thing is, you will have plenty of practice time, and everyone loves wings. I can share a few things from a cook's side and a judges side...

Flats generally score better than drumettes. Flats are more uniform so they cook more consistently. They just have better eye appeal. I like to buy whole wings and trim myself, the bulk bags of pre-trimmed can have some rough cuts. There is a little flap of skin on one side of the flat that gets trimmed off.

Brine them for 2 or 3 hours, lightly rinse and blot dry. Rest them if you have time. I like Kosmos Chicken Soak or LC Fowl Play, but you can make a homemade brine too. Low sodium chicken stock works in a pinch. Some cooks inject the brine too.

Season with whatever rub(s) you like, and cook them hot, turning as needed to set the rub and balance out the color. I cook until the internal is in the high 190°s, but you will figure out your sweet spot during practice. Your next choice is crispy skin, or an easy bite 'butter bath' skin. Either way works fine.

Dunk in sauce and move to a small rack to drain. This prevents brush marks. Setting the sauce does not take any time at all. Maybe 2 minutes in your smoker. Watch the hot sauce. What you like might not be what the judges like. And too spicy might offend a couple of judges.

Thanks for that. Awesome advice.

Reactions: thirdeye
Thanks for that. Awesome advice.

You're welcome, wing contests can be a lot of fun. I forgot to mention that as more details, timelines and rules become available try and post them. There is no reason to not take advantage of all of the rules. For example, they might allow you to trim your wings at home, and if brining is considered 'prep' you could show up ready to go from cooler to smoker and eliminate that part of clean-up.

All,

I am going to be competing in the Green Bay Meat Fest on 20 MAY 2023. The competition is for chicken wings.

Anyone ever do competition wings? Any hints, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My basic strategy is:

Sorry, I have nothing to help you in your endeavor however, Your strategy/cook sounds tits to me !

I did my first test wing cook for the competition.

I really liked the flavor of the wings and the skin was close to perfect. It had a buttery bite through feel. It got a bit leathery on the ends though.

These wings turned out very well and had a pleasant heat on the back end. Just lacked some pop. Not quite sure what that might be. I am trying Blues Hog sauce on my next attempt.

First attempt:

Injection/Marinade:
Injected with chicken stock , Tapatio, and salt. Let also marinate in liquid for 45 minutes.

Rub:
Whiskey Bent - Bird
Killer Hogs - The BBQ Rub - Used right after saucing

Sauce:
Killer Hogs - The BBQ Sauce mixed with Frank's Red Hot

Method:
Charcoal smoker using Hickory chunks and Oak charcoal entire cook was done at 300 degrees F.

Test results below:

wings #1.jpg

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I would consider injecting the wings with a flavorful liquid for a comp. I’d likely do that in advance if rules allow. Completely dry outsides and dusting with baking powder pre rub I would do as well. Lastly , rules permitting I’d offer both wet and dry versions in the box.

Brewery I go to has killer wings. 90% sure they're cured. They offer them a bunch of ways but the dry rub is best. 2 step cook for sure, smoked then seared on a grill. Rubbed before the sear. They definitely use a pitmaster type wood blend and keep the wing together. VERY different take on it than most places. I run drums in Pop's low salt, smoke to 190F or so and cool (I actually do this a few days in advance). Rub and sear on gasser. Come out pretty close to theirs. One of the coolest things I did was cure/smoke but trued a bunch of different rubs on them to see which one we liked.

Sounds fun JC
I only have a couple of tips and you already used 1
Write EVERYTHING down. Don't lose the sheet (I've done that).
Offer both a flat & drumette in the box.
I think the local GFS had wings on sale. Costco Business center had pretty deal on wings, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky