Competition wings - I simply cannot get the skin right

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have been working on my recipe for a competition wing cook coming up and although I think I have the flavor profile I want down, I simply cannot get the skin texture right.

Every time it comes out leathery and pulls off the wing in one bite. I tried lower temp cook, higher temp cook, I tried to Jaccard the wings but nothing seems to get me a bite through skin.

Where am I going wrong? :emoji_disappointed::emoji_face_palm:

JC :emoji_cat:
Are you running just on the smoker? When I did the couple of comps my teammate and I brought a small kettle grill to finish the wings off over some direct flame. Also got some cool grill marks that way which helped with appearance.

Are you running just on the smoker? When I did the couple of comps my teammate and I brought a small kettle grill to finish the wings off over some direct flame. Also got some cool grill marks that way which helped with appearance.

I was planning on doing them on my smoker only but after reading these replies, I may add an oil pan to fry them. I can do that in the smoker. The other option is to bring a kettle grill along for a smoke and grill. I will have to give this a try over the weekend. I think I will try the kettle grill option first as it seems to be the most practical for me. So much great advice from the forum. This forum rocks!!! :emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_drum::emoji_microphone:

Reactions: zwiller
I may add an oil pan to fry them. I can do that in the smoker.
Here's a thread I did awhile back . Might be an idea for you in there . This method takes little oil . If you pre heat the tray it may work for you . Just switch it up to fit what you're after .

Here's some others I did on the pellet grill . This was a homemade rub from fermented Carolina Reapers . Mixed with pineapple . Dried in the oven .
It's mixed with turbinado sugar that provides some fast color .
Cooked at 400 on the top shelf , so not direct heat . The fast cook rendered the skin and the sugar gave good color .
20221105_154915.jpg
20221105_160906.jpg
20221105_161343.jpg

Flats are easier to cook than drumettes, and they present better. I like to brine 2 or 3 hours, rinse, dry, and set in the fridge overnight to let the skin dry out. If the overnight time line won't work for the comp you're doing, dry the best you can with paper towels, and hold in the cooler.

~300° pit temp on a kettle with coals banked on one side so you can cook indirect if needed. After the first 15 minutes you could be ready to turn if they have good color and the rub is set. Then turn as needed to build color, 2 or 3 times. Cook time to 190° is 45 to 50 minutes, but practice will dial that in closer.

Grilled only works, but you could butter bath them (covered) for 10 minutes, then check tenderness of skin. Maybe 5 or 7 minutes more will make bite thru skin. Then sauce, and set the sauce.

Reactions: JC in GB
Flats are easier to cook than drumettes, and they present better. I like to brine 2 or 3 hours, rinse, dry, and set in the fridge overnight to let the skin dry out. If the overnight time line won't work for the comp you're doing, dry the best you can with paper towels, and hold in the cooler.

~300° pit temp on a kettle with coals banked on one side so you can cook indirect if needed. After the first 15 minutes you could be ready to turn if they have good color and the rub is set. Then turn as needed to build color, 2 or 3 times. Cook time to 190° is 45 to 50 minutes, but practice will dial that in closer.

Grilled only works, but you could butter bath them (covered) for 10 minutes, then check tenderness of skin. Maybe 5 or 7 minutes more will make bite thru skin. Then sauce, and set the sauce.

Comp require flats and drummies. Not sure the prep timeline yet. That will pretty much determine what method I will have to use. At least now I have several options to try...

I think adding the kettle grill is a great idea as I am FIRMLY in the 2 stage cook camp for wing/drums. Sear makes it IMO, same for ribs. I would do short brine in Pops LS, smoke typical temps and pull at 190F. Rest then cool. Fire up the grill, rub, and sear. Sauce if you want but I prefer only dry rub on smoked stuff. Also like keeping the wings whole.

Clip on fan can do pellicle too if pressed for time.

I have been working on my recipe for a competition wing cook coming up and although I think I have the flavor profile I want down, I simply cannot get the skin texture right.

Every time it comes out leathery and pulls off the wing in one bite. I tried lower temp cook, higher temp cook, I tried to Jaccard the wings but nothing seems to get me a bite through skin.

Where am I going wrong? :emoji_disappointed::emoji_face_palm:

Put a bit of baking soda in your rub, that will tenderize the skin, I learned that from cajuneric.

I season my wings and rest in the fridge for several hours. I cook on my BGE at 375 for just over an hour flipping at the 30 min mark. I never have rubbery wings. EVER. They area bite through skin like your referring to. All my friends love my wings

Comp require flats and drummies. Not sure the prep timeline yet. That will pretty much determine what method I will have to use. At least now I have several options to try...

Here is one more option to consider. No changes to cooking the flats I mentioned above, but how about making lollipops with the drumettes? The main advantage with this prep is that the ball of meat cooks more evenly, and the saucing hides areas of missing skin. I use scissors to snip any loose tags and to shape them. Foiling the bone will protect it during the cook, but sauce the bone when setting the glaze. For brining, arrange them upright to help them keep their shape. Notice I did remove the knuckle on the lower ones.
M7S7N6N.jpg

These are drumstick lollipops, but you can get the idea of how the drumettes will look. Top photo is Blues Hog Competition, the lower ones have Blues Hog Original.
J420uqp.jpg
BYsLvrg.jpg
Now this was a practice box, and I literally grabbed a handful of parsley just for a background color to see the color af the sauce looked against the greens.
evhHsuw.jpg

This video has a good section on how to lollipop both flats and drumettes.

I was planning on doing them on my smoker only but after reading these replies, I may add an oil pan to fry them. I can do that in the smoker. The other option is to bring a kettle grill along for a smoke and grill. I will have to give this a try over the weekend. I think I will try the kettle grill option first as it seems to be the most practical for me. So much great advice from the forum. This forum rocks!!! :emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_drum::emoji_microphone:

I hope it gets you what you are looking for. Never did wings like that but it worked great for thighs.

Here is one more option to consider. No changes to cooking the flats I mentioned above, but how about making lollipops with the drumettes? The main advantage with this prep is that the ball of meat cooks more evenly, and the saucing hides areas of missing skin. I use scissors to snip any loose tags and to shape them. Foiling the bone will protect it during the cook, but sauce the bone when setting the glaze. For brining, arrange them upright to help them keep their shape. Notice I did remove the knuckle on the lower ones.
View attachment 662298

These are drumstick lollipops, but you can get the idea of how the drumettes will look. Top photo is Blues Hog Competition, the lower ones have Blues Hog Original.
View attachment 662299
View attachment 662300
Now this was a practice box, and I literally grabbed a handful of parsley just for a background color to see the color af the sauce looked against the greens.
View attachment 662301

This video has a good section on how to lollipop both flats and drumettes.

Looks awesome. Thank you for that. I really like the Blues Hog sauces I have tried so far. With my current recipe, I like Killer Hogs Original better than the Blues Hog but I am going to try a different poultry rub next round so I will see how it pans out.

Thanks,

Just for fun, I made some drumettes on Sunday, and the lollipop method is way easier than it is with drumsticks, but with the skin so inconsistent, the main advantage is that the doneness was very even. These were good bites. I only cooked 8, but it would be easy to monitor the size and pull the smaller ones off earlier. Brining:
mxPQ0px.jpg
Pit time was about an hour to get around 175° internal
2NxVCGP.jpg
A very shallow butter bath (covered) to tender up the skin.
qUq2pjG.jpg
If you use your imagination, you can see that sauce will hide some of the areas of no skin.
W1KVx8N.jpg

I think I am going to abandon my Stump's Baby Sarina for the wing cook and go to a Weber kettle with a vortex burner. Logistics are far easier and I think I can get better skin on the vortex set up. The only downfall is I won't get on TV with my 70's era Weber kettle with rusted off wheels. :emoji_disappointed::emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky