Competition wings - I simply cannot get the skin right

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I have been working on my recipe for a competition wing cook coming up and although I think I have the flavor profile I want down, I simply cannot get the skin texture right.

Every time it comes out leathery and pulls off the wing in one bite. I tried lower temp cook, higher temp cook, I tried to Jaccard the wings but nothing seems to get me a bite through skin.

Where am I going wrong? :emoji_disappointed::emoji_face_palm:

JC :emoji_cat:

Have you tried rubbing in oil or spray duck fat to help crisp? Edit. I have not participated in a comp, just throwing ideas around

Reactions: JC in GB
Have you tried rubbing in oil or spray duck fat to help crisp? Edit. I have not participated in a comp, just throwing ideas around

I have not tried that. I have some duck fat; so next cook I may go higher temp use duck fat and try for crisp skin. I thought bite through would be easier to achieve but so far not so much. :emoji_face_palm: :emoji_laughing:

When I do wings I start out around 200 degrees for about 30-45 minutes to get the smoke flavor then crank it up to 375-400 until done

I have been working on my recipe for a competition wing cook coming up and although I think I have the flavor profile I want down, I simply cannot get the skin texture right.

Every time it comes out leathery and pulls off the wing in one bite. I tried lower temp cook, higher temp cook, I tried to Jaccard the wings but nothing seems to get me a bite through skin.

High temps is what works for me (325F+) BUT wings cook so fast that just smoke on low low temp like 150F and turn on the propane grill.

After I get enough smoke on them I cook/finish them on the grill. NO issues this way but takes more fooling with. If I don't grill I definitely go 325F+ and usually get bite through skin or better if I'm not doing too many wings.

Also if you tent/cover the wings after you pull them off the skin will absorb steam/moisture and start to toughen back up so keep em uncovered and eat when they come off.

I hope this info helps :)

If you steam the wings for 15 minutes and then place them on a racked baking sheet in the refrigerator over night the skin will come out crispy every time when you cook them.
We often par boil chicken then on to the smoker with sauce to bake that sauce on. It’s a cheap crutch but it works well.

wish I could help, but have graduated to making wings on in the air fryer. no smoke but crispy and wondermous when sloshed in buffalo sauce. I think crispy skin will require ,as mentioned above, will require the duck fat treatment nd high heat at the end.

Corn starch in the rub. Dry wings. 325° and add some butter or oil to the mop/spritz mixture. The fats in the oil and butter will help break down the fat in the skin just like when deep frying.

. I have read it on here a few times, I think it was baking powder, but again I don’t recall.
It's baking powder . Changes the PH of the skin and lets it break down faster .
I do most wings hot and fast . I mix the Baking Powder with kosher salt .
Sprinkle it on the wings and rest uncovered over night . Or mix the baking powder with the rub you use .

I have had good results using flour and potato starch too . Just let them rest before cooking .

Edit , I use about 1 tsp baking powder to 1 TBL spoon of salt or rub .

I hand dry each wing and sprinkle with a baking powder and salt mix. I put those in the frig overnight uncovered for at least 8 hours. I cost in avocado oil then and sprinkle with rub. I smoked at 275F and at the end sail on up to 300-350F. I get bite through skin using that method.

Last edited:
Corn starch in the rub. Dry wings. 325° and add some butter or oil to the mop/spritz mixture. The fats in the oil and butter will help break down the fat in the skin just like when deep frying.
I have good results rubbing with flour or starch too . Let rest uncovered in the fridge .
I use a sheet tray on my gas grill . Not the same as smoking , but makes a great wing .
These are rubbed with starch , salt and pepper . High heat . 400 ish .
1680614875247.jpeg
Come out just like a fried wing .
1680614915812.jpeg

I have good results rubbing with flour or starch too . Let rest uncovered in the fridge .
I use a sheet tray on my gas grill . Not the same as smoking , but makes a great wing .
These are rubbed with starch , salt and pepper . High heat . 400 ish .
View attachment 662184
Come out just like a fried wing .
View attachment 662185

My smoker will run up to 400 F so I am going to give this and some other similar suggestions a try next go around.

I hand dry each wing and sprinkle with a baking powder and salt mix. I put those in the frig overnight uncovered for at least 8 hours. I cost in avocado oil then and sprinkle with rub. I smoked at 275F and at the end sail on up to 300-350F. I get bite through skin using that method.
Corrected to baking powder not soda!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky