Me? The smoker? Or the method?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoupGarou

Original poster
Sep 1, 2022
I am having my meat come out dry and not tender, I am using a new 120 gal offset that I just built. I want to focus on my last cook, chuck roast.

1. Temperature ranged from 220 to 275 (I feal I need to tighten this swing down)
2. Used water pan
3. Wrapped in paper after 3 hours, cooked 3 more hours.
4. Internal temp to 205deg
5. Did not rest (we were ready to eat)
6. Result, dry and not tender
Notes: I did not spritz because the meat looked very moist, less bark that I would like, water is not evaproating much from water pan.

Grill.jpg

Thanks in advance

resting the meat would help redistribute the juices back into the meat and help with the dryness and make it more tender. did a lot of juice come out of the roast when you cut it to eat?

Reactions: 912smoker
Your temp swings really aren't that extreme. I cook chuckies like I would a small piece of brisket flat. I take it to 150~160° on the grate with a foil pan under it, then put it in a foil pan with the drippings and some liquid (broth, beer, etc), cover the pan with foil and cook till probe tender (usually around 205°). And definitely allow for some rest time after it comes off the smoker.

Are you sure it was a true chuck roast, some places will cut the shoulder clod into roast and call them chuck roast,

Are you sure it was a true chuck roast, some places will cut the shoulder clod into roast and call them chuck roast,
Would it matter if I cooked it at an average of 250deg until internal temp was 205?

Actually it was marbled, but I did not tie a string around it to keep it tight and it separated some, this probably hurt the end product. Thanks for the info DougE, so leaner meat should be cooked to a lower temp, got it.

Like others have mentioned, most all barbeque (with the exception of arguably pork ribs) should be cooked until "probe tender". Internal temperature just let's you know when to start proving. Meaning don't take it off until a probe inserted goes in like it would into warm butter, basically no resistance.
Also personally, I think chuck does best when finished braised, whether in a pan with juices, smothered in sauce ala burnt ends, or other method.

Reactions: tallbm and G8trwood
Way to high for chuck internal. Imho.

Temp swings aren’t as bad as you think. Water helps stabilize. You’ll get the hang of it with fire management. Probably slightly smaller pieces to stabilize swings.

How was the flavor

I will try the suggestions, focus on probing for tenderness instead of temperature. Smaller sticks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky