Max

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Yesterday we put our dog Max down. I hope he finds peace at the Rainbow Bridge.

max.jpg

Max 2004-2020

Steve, so sorry for your loss. As a lifetime dog owner and lover, I truly feel your pain. 16 years is a good long life. Our longest was 18 when we had to let her go, the last year or 2 were rough.
We have 3 now, 12, 11 + 5 years old. The older 2 may go right around the same year, which wil be lousy. But you have to know that going in. Doesn't make it any easier. They are truly part of the Family, and the loss is terrible.

Mike

Sorry to hear about this Steve. I've had at least one dog all my life. My wife and I decided that Skidmark is going to be our last one. Unfortunately I think his time is coming sooner then anticipated. His hind legs are starting to give out on him, and his breathing is getting congested. It's never an easy decision to make. Again sorry for your loss.

Chris

So sorry to hear steve! It's hard to put a beloved pet down, but also our responsibility...even though it still hurts. Just goes to show how much we loved them. But you always have the memories.

Ryan

Man Steve I feel for you we just did the same thing back in March. It is not an easy thing to do but they are at a comfortable rest now now pain.

Warren

Reactions: chopsaw
So Sorry, We had to do that last year.

Gary

Sorry for your loss. Losing your dog is an intense hurt. He was young and that is tragic. like john stated, the peace is the pain is gone for him. we lost Jack at 10 years old, he was my first dog. I was looking forward to him be a grumpy old fart and he was surely heading that way. stills get me choked up. sending thoughts and prayers.

Deepest condolences my friend. As stated, it's never an easy decision to make but we just can't let them suffer. As hard as it was, you did the right thing by Max and he'll be waiting for you on the other side of the rainbow bridge.

Robert

My sincere condolences Steve. RAY

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can’t be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they’ll tend.

Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been savd.

Don’t grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We’ve been so close — we two — these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

They are truly part of the Family, and the loss is terrible.
I am extremely sorry for your loss, Steve.... Please accept my deepest condolences.... I can't even imagine how painful this should be.... I never gone through this but I will have to at some point. I am looking at my 8 and 6 years old girls and noticing how color of their fur changes to gray (white) and how they are getting less active then they were just recently...

Hang in there the best you can . Seems like if you do , your next best friend shows up unexpected .

Very sorry to hear that Steve. I know how you feel, as we had to put our 14 yr. old boy (avatar pic) to sleep one month ago today. Maybe they are at the Rainbow Bridge playing together.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky