Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Anyone else find things cooking much faster on the 560 or is it just me? On 4th July I did a whole brisket, I forget the weight, but it was done in about 7 hours.

Yesterday I picked up an 8lb pork butt, put it on the smoker at about 1:45am thinking that if it took 1.5 hours per pound I'd be looking at it done after about 12 hours, or if it took 2 hours a pound, 16 hours.

Just went out to check on it after a little more than 6 hours and it's already reading 183F on the probe. Assuming that's a correct reading, I don't see it taking another 6-10 hours to finish. The smoker is set at 225F, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Still can't connect it to wifi. Set up an old router in the garage as a repeater with an 8 character password. It'll just sit there with a message saying that connecting can take up to 5 minutes.

I usually cook on the 2nd second grate in the 1060 or else stuff cooks pretty fast. I’ve mounted a probe in the middle of the smoker to better monitor the temps typically it runs about 10-15 degrees higher than what the controller says.
FBDB2882-FF95-4DEC-9132-44B7FD40EB6B.jpeg

I’ve also noticed it usually takes about an hour for the temperature to stabilize so I set the temp lower then I want until then and bump it up. Once it stabilizes it’s pretty much locked in for the rest of the smoke within +\- 5 degrees

I usually cook on the 2nd second grate in the 1060 or else stuff cooks pretty fast. I’ve mounted a probe in the middle of the smoker to better monitor the temps typically it runs about 10-15 degrees higher than what the controller says. View attachment 454525
I’ve also noticed it usually takes about an hour for the temperature to stabilize so I set the temp lower then I want until then and bump it up. Once it stabilizes it’s pretty much locked in for the rest of the smoke within +\- 5 degrees
What temp probes do you use?

Reactions: Will Squared
Anyone else find things cooking much faster on the 560 or is it just me? On 4th July I did a whole brisket, I forget the weight, but it was done in about 7 hours.

Yesterday I picked up an 8lb pork butt, put it on the smoker at about 1:45am thinking that if it took 1.5 hours per pound I'd be looking at it done after about 12 hours, or if it took 2 hours a pound, 16 hours.

Just went out to check on it after a little more than 6 hours and it's already reading 183F on the probe. Assuming that's a correct reading, I don't see it taking another 6-10 hours to finish. The smoker is set at 225F, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Still can't connect it to wifi. Set up an old router in the garage as a repeater with an 8 character password. It'll just sit there with a message saying that connecting can take up to 5 minutes.
You also need a shortened SSID for the router as well.

Reactions: abcdefghii
You also need a shortened SSID for the router as well.

That's what i did to get it connected, set up a virtual SSID with shorter password and it connected.

Pork came out delicious.

New question though, so I cranked the temp up to burn off some built up crud. Of course, grease around the switch on the lid caught fire and destroyed the switch. So, anytime know where I can get a replacement? I'm hoping it's easy to replace, just need to find one.

Edit: Found the switch, but can't find the rubber piece so if anyone knows where to get that I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
That's what i did to get it connected, set up a virtual SSID with shorter password and it connected.

Pork came out delicious.

New question though, so I cranked the temp up to burn off some built up crud. Of course, grease around the switch on the lid caught fire and destroyed the switch. So, anytime know where I can get a replacement? I'm hoping it's easy to replace, just need to find one.

Edit: Found the switch, but can't find the rubber piece so if anyone knows where to get that I'd appreciate it.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about that switch. Pull it, twist the two leads together, wrap with tape, push it back through the hole, and forget about it

Personally, I wouldn't worry about that switch. Pull it, twist the two leads together, wrap with tape, push it back through the hole, and forget about it

Not a terrible idea, all the switch does is tell me the lid is open, which I would know it is and cut the fan off while the lid is open.

That's what is confusing me about using mine as a super hot grill for steaks..
With the door open the fan quits blowing so how am I going to get super high temps (would love to see over 1000) with no fan?
And yes I know 1000 would probably burn a hole through the cooker!

With the door open the fan quits blowing so how am I going to get super high temps (would love to see over 1000) with no fan?
Eventually you'd have holes start to show up on the firebox. You'd also fry the temp probe, I doubt it's rated much more than 750 degrees.
You COULD plug the fan direct into a 12 v supply which would bypass the controller, then you would have a possible runaway grill. It's just not designed for a 1000 deg steak griller.

Shouldn't be much babysitting for searing steaks though, put it on, close the lid to keep heat in and fan going. Open the door, the fan stops so your arm hair doens't melt when you try to flip using shorter tongs, flip and close back. Repeat that again but on a 90 angle and the steak is done.

Reactions: Aledavidov
Anyone having their meat temp probe fault out? I've got a different setup that I use as well but it's annoying that the one provided has seemingly failed

I love this thing but... I keep losing the controller during the cook. Everything is fine and then it simply powers off for no known reason. I'm not talking about losing the wifi. The system turns off just like when you shut it down. I thought maybe we had a power interruption which we didn't know about so I purchased a battery backup system and the problem still occurs.

I contacted MS Customer Service about two weeks ago regarding this and they never returned a response. Any suggestions as to what this might be?

I love this thing but... I keep losing the controller during the cook. Everything is fine and then it simply powers off for no known reason. I'm not talking about losing the wifi. The system turns off just like when you shut it down. I thought maybe we had a power interruption which we didn't know about so I purchased a battery backup system and the problem still occurs.

I contacted MS Customer Service about two weeks ago regarding this and they never returned a response. Any suggestions as to what this might be?

I would keep trying to get ahold of them. Some guys get them through Facebook, or something like that.
I'll contact my GOTO guy for you tallbm tallbm

Bear

Reactions: tallbm

Hi there and welcome Sudz!

Sounds like you are having a problem like a short or something like.

I'm not very familiar with the electronics on the gravity feed unit but if its not flipping a breaker then something is happening with the electronics. Wish i could help more but that seems to be what is happening... unless it has a high temp safety switch which just just the whole thing off if the grill gets too hot. On the electric smoker this safety mechanism exists but it doesnt shut the whole thing off it just cuts power to the element.
With a gravity feed who knows.

Many complaints in other notes from owners of random shutdowns.. Horrible stories happening middle of night and big ticket meats having to be thrown out. I'd never trust this thing overnight without using a different controller.

Make sure your two year old doesn’t unplug it. Gets mine at least 3 times a cook.

Check your wires that are nearest to any heat source and see if there’s a melty looking one that could be shorting it out as the heat rises. Otherwise keep poking MB I’m going to guess it’s still in warranty.

Hope it works out for ya this thing impresses everyone when they stop over for dinner. Cooked a chuck roast this weekend for 6ish hours no problems. Held temp rock steady and still had a quarter of a hopper left not a bad cook at all.

Many complaints in other notes from owners of random shutdowns.. Horrible stories happening middle of night and big ticket meats having to be thrown out. I'd never trust this thing overnight without using a different controller.

I wouldn't trust any Smoker overnight, unattended, unless I had it at a place far enough from my house, garage, or anything that could catch fire, if the Smoker lit up & started on fire.

Bear

I wouldn't trust any Smoker overnight, unattended, unless I had it at a place far enough from my house, garage, or anything that could catch fire, if the Smoker lit up & started on fire.

Bear
Grease fire or something eh?

I haven't had the controller shut down, ever, unless I turn it off myself. I have a couple 20+hour smokes on it, and many shorter ones. Try getting a hold of them through facebook once you log a warranty ticket on the website. Seems like the only way to get a response from them these days.

I did get an Inkbird WIFI probe set for the constant disconnects from the masterbuilt app though. I can set one inkbird probe as smoker temp and set bracket alarms for it. If the temp goes above or below my setpoints, it lets me know. Already alerted me to one grease fire. Constant connection and temp graphing are what this grill should have come with from the factory.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky