Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
ok ill bite. how do you connect to your grill from 4 miles away? Mine connects via bluetooth. It updated via wifi but I have no idea how you get the app to use internet.

Never mind. It appears if you just clsoe it when it asks if you want to turn blue tooth on it will just use wifi. lol
I think once the grill is connected to WiFi and paired with the app, the temp data is transmitted to MB servers. So while I was no longer on WiFi, I was signed into the app through their servers and the grill was connected to their servers vi WiFi.

I should also mention, I think the Bluetooth is really only for pairing with your phone so you can connect the WiFi using your phone keyboard. Once WiFi is connected it seems it only uses the WiFi connection. And at that point you are not really connecting your phone to the 560. But instead the 560 is connected to the MB servers and your phone is connected to the MB servers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will Squared
New guy here. Not only new to the site, but new to smoking. The last time I smoked any meat was about 20 years ago on a cheap Weber kettle smoker.

Just bought a Masterbuilt 560 and it is on the way to my local HD. Hope to hang around here and learn a thing or two from you guys.

Shakey

New guy here. Not only new to the site, but new to smoking. The last time I smoked any meat was about 20 years ago on a cheap Weber kettle smoker.

Just bought a Masterbuilt 560 and it is on the way to my local HD. Hope to hang around here and learn a thing or two from you guys.

Shakey
The 560 has some bugs to work out but it is a revolutionary Machine. There are a few tweeks but Guys here will help you through. I have had mine since January and have done maybe 50 cooks.
I LOVE MINE !
It is very versatile.
I can hold low temps @ 155' and have used it to Dry.
Like I might smoke some Chipotles @ 180' then drop to 155' until dry ( a few hours).
I have sterilized soil for my Wife's seed starters 190' for 45 minutes !
The two fixes that I have done is weave two 1/4" rods in the fire grate ( to make the dropping coals smaller), and replace the Fire Box with 12 gauge Stainless. The factory box lasted maybe 38 cooks or so.
We use it all the time.
It is the Best way to Reverse Sear !

I have read the issues with the firebox. Where is the best place to buy the stainless replacement?

His Mod Kit has four separate plates and is 12 gauge.
Another mod I saw was welded as a box and was 14gauge.
It is better to piece the plates back in.
They fit like a glove.

He also sells SS rods for the grate mod but that is something you can find cheaper.
Heck... I used a stake from a pop-up and a broken screwdriver. LOL
Works fine.

Reactions: Aledavidov
This 560 feels almost like cheating. So easy and good
20200703_141851.jpg
20200703_164234.jpg
20200704_194622.jpg
20200704_195716.jpg
20200705_151052.jpg

Lots more info in here than the other 560 thread, still happy with mine even if I'm not thrilled with some of the build quality issues. I'll likely be ordering the firebox mods soon, think I'll also set up an old router in the garage to use just with the 560 to connect it to wifi.

I posted this in the other thread, but how are you all cleaning yours? Specifically the manifold and grills, I can never get all the greasy crud cleared off.

My grill will be at the store on Monday. I have seen videos of people covering the manifold and cook area with foil. I thought about trying that.

I posted this in the other thread, but how are you all cleaning yours? Specifically the manifold and grills, I can never get all the greasy crud cleared off.
I try to clean while it's still warm. I take one damp towel and wipe it down. I'll use some warm water on the towel. If I need to, I brush it, but don't really need to do that much unless I've let it cool down too much. I dry it with another if needed. Then, I take a wash cloth with some avocado oil on it, and wipe down everything inside.

He also sells SS rods for the grate mod but that is something you can find cheaper.
Heck... I used a stake from a pop-up and a broken screwdriver. LOL
Works fine.

:emoji_thumbsup: possibly the cheapest and easiest mod that helps to save on fuel. I'm hardly seeing any chunks in my ash bin anymore since i did that. I cut the curled portion of two 1/4" kabob skewers off and used those.

I screen my ashes and run the pieces back through the stack... a few here and there.
This always ensures hot coals coming through to the bucket.
I regulate the amount of chunks and chips in the ash bucket for the smoke.
The rods sure cut down on the size.
I was getting almost full size Briqs falling through...
No mas...

Anyone else find things cooking much faster on the 560 or is it just me? On 4th July I did a whole brisket, I forget the weight, but it was done in about 7 hours.

Yesterday I picked up an 8lb pork butt, put it on the smoker at about 1:45am thinking that if it took 1.5 hours per pound I'd be looking at it done after about 12 hours, or if it took 2 hours a pound, 16 hours.

Just went out to check on it after a little more than 6 hours and it's already reading 183F on the probe. Assuming that's a correct reading, I don't see it taking another 6-10 hours to finish. The smoker is set at 225F, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Still can't connect it to wifi. Set up an old router in the garage as a repeater with an 8 character password. It'll just sit there with a message saying that connecting can take up to 5 minutes.

Anyone else find things cooking much faster on the 560 or is it just me? On 4th July I did a whole brisket, I forget the weight, but it was done in about 7 hours.

Yesterday I picked up an 8lb pork butt, put it on the smoker at about 1:45am thinking that if it took 1.5 hours per pound I'd be looking at it done after about 12 hours, or if it took 2 hours a pound, 16 hours.

Just went out to check on it after a little more than 6 hours and it's already reading 183F on the probe. Assuming that's a correct reading, I don't see it taking another 6-10 hours to finish. The smoker is set at 225F, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Still can't connect it to wifi. Set up an old router in the garage as a repeater with an 8 character password. It'll just sit there with a message saying that connecting can take up to 5 minutes.
Yes. If you cook on the main grate it will get done faster.

Interesting, I'll have to remember to use the top grate next time. Just over 7 hours now and reading 190F.

Managed to get the wifi connected finally, took a few attempts but connected and updated. Inside the house was just outside of bluetooth range, so the wifi is handy.

Briskets and shoulders I've cooked so far have not stalled and just pushed right through. They came out great so if it cooks faster it's a bonus IMO.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky