Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I need to go through all the comments. But, I’m upgrading from my MES40. Would you all recommend this gravity MES or a pellet smoker. I know that’s a broad question, but I have time to decide as I have no issues with my electric smoker. I just need to up my game.
Overall I love it 560 , hope they will fixed small bugs

Reactions: Will Squared
I need to go through all the comments. But, I’m upgrading from my MES40. Would you all recommend this gravity MES or a pellet smoker. I know that’s a broad question, but I have time to decide as I have no issues with my electric smoker. I just need to up my game.

There's a lot of guys/girls that have gotten rid of their Traegers and other brands to buy a 560 or 1050 Masterbuilt. Poopers, from what I've read, will give good smoke flavor, but can't do a real sear job on a steak. Comparing a MES 40 and the 560/1050 is apples and oranges. One gives you a good solid low and slow cook. The other gives you a good low and slow cook, then turns around and lets you sear meat at 700 degrees.

There's a lot of guys/girls that have gotten rid of their Traegers and other brands to buy a 560 or 1050 Masterbuilt. Poopers, from what I've read, will give good smoke flavor, but can't do a real sear job on a steak. Comparing a MES 40 and the 560/1050 is apples and oranges. One gives you a good solid low and slow cook. The other gives you a good low and slow cook, then turns around and lets you sear meat at 700 degrees.

From what I’ve read, you don’t get that “great” smoke flavor from a pooper, unless you supplement with a tube (which is what I do with the MES). I won’t need any searing capabilities from my smoker as I have a blaze grill with infrared sear burner built into our outdoor kitchen right next to the smoker.

I guess I’m really looking for a “set it forget it” smoker with best flavor and ease of use.
My electric smoker has been faithful, but, I’d really like to improve the quality of my smokes and have heat capabilities over 275 degrees.

The Gravity Feed is a Game Changer.
It blows the pellet poopers out of the water.

Hey guys I've been following the forums for awhile and finally joined after getting my first smoker. I gotta say this MBGF 1050 is flat out awesome. I've never been able to get a charcoal fire up to temp as fast as this grill does were talking 5-6 minutes tops and your cruising at 225. And the smoke flavor is much better than some food I've had off of a pellet grill. Only issue I've noticed is this thing eats charcoal up like nobody's business. I remember the 3 hour seasoning used up about half a bag and then a 3 hour cook killed off the other half. Does anyone have some recommendations on this? A different brand ( I used cowboy) or switching to briquettes?

• Love
I'm not sure about the 1050 but at 225 i was getting 10 hours on 1 hopper with Royal Oak lump.
I did mod the grate a bit so smaller pieces couldn't fall through as easy.
Please can you snap pictures of grate ?
Thank you

I'm not sure about the 1050 but at 225 i was getting 10 hours on 1 hopper with Royal Oak lump.
I did mod the grate a bit so smaller pieces couldn't fall through as easy.

I've been sifting the ash bin and tossing the bigger chunks back in the hopper before I cook just to get some extra life out of a bag. I thought the grates seemed a little more spaced out than they had to be.

What did you do to modify the grate?

Does anyone have some recommendations on this?

I burn a 50/50 mix of Lump and Briqs. I layer it in the stack.
Home Depot is selling Kingsford double 20 lbs bags (40 lbs) for $20.
I still have about 40 lbs of Mesquite Lump left but will be on the search soon.

I have experimented with burning other fuel.
I burned all Oak Chunks once... it was a little harsh...
There are Apple, Orange, and Olive groves around me that I will hit up for wood.
I will try chunks of these.

Your rate of burn depends on several factors.

I’m almost convinced to go with the GF smoker. What’s the ability to do overnight smokes? With my current electric smoker or any of the pellet grills that’s not an issue. What about with the charcoal smoker?

I’m ok with adding charcoal in the morning, just want to make sure I can really get 10 hours from a full hopper.

Lastly, what would be the difference between lump and briquettes was far as burn time? I guess my thought of mixing charcoal and actual wood chunks in the hopper would give more flavorful smokes but maybe sacrifice burn time?

Hey guys I've been following the forums for awhile and finally joined after getting my first smoker. I gotta say this MBGF 1050 is flat out awesome. I've never been able to get a charcoal fire up to temp as fast as this grill does were talking 5-6 minutes tops and your cruising at 225. And the smoke flavor is much better than some food I've had off of a pellet grill. Only issue I've noticed is this thing eats charcoal up like nobody's business. I remember the 3 hour seasoning used up about half a bag and then a 3 hour cook killed off the other half. Does anyone have some recommendations on this? A different brand ( I used cowboy) or switching to briquettes?

Try the B&B Char Logs. Almost completely burns, lasts longer than most briquettes; mix them half and half with whatever wood chunks you want. Academy stores and Ace Hardware stores carry it for sure

I took an old Smoker grate and cut a couple of rods to length and wove it into the 560 grate. Stays put 100% , no welding required, and completely reversible.

Attachments

• Grate.jpg
    Grate.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 282
Stocking up for when I pull the trigger and buy a MB gravity series grill.Walmart had a 2 bag bundle of royal oak briquettes on sale for 8.88 thats 4.44 per 18lb bag 36lbs altogether. I wasn't sure of the price until I bought the 1st bundle cause they didn't out a price tag on the pallets. At that price I had to go back for more. 108lbs of charcoal for 27 bucks! When I go there tomorrow for mothers day presents ill get more if they have any left.
20200508_135636.jpg
20200508_140903.jpg

Only choice left for me to make is 560 or 1050.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky