Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I reckon I am spoiled, my Weber performer has a ash catch can mounted on the bottom so no mess hitting the floor or deck, still looking for info on the bigger size and time table it will hit the market and the price. the grates /cooking area are pretty small imo.

560 big enough to cook 7 racks of ribs lol just sayin. The ash bin is sealed not sure how people have stuff falling out I call bs /shrug.

Charcoal is a little more expensive I use a 12 bag every 3 cooks probably maybe little less. I usually cook for a few hours like 6 and do burn offs before and after

The MB has a sealed charcoal hopper with an ash bin. The 560 has been plenty big for my family of four but if you need to cook more than 6 pork butts it’s not for you. The larger model had been released to independent dealers but not sure why it’s not on the MB website. The MB Fan Facebook group already has pictures and videos of it in action.

I thought it sounded small. 22"×14" is not very big. I cook 12-6oz Burgers or 6 Beef Rib Steaks at a time. Will it meet my need?...JJ

Reactions: Will Squared
I got rid of my Masterbuilt propane smoker a few years ago and have been debating about getting a pellet grill to replace since then. There are so many options and price points out there. I seriously debated about buying a rec tec, but didn't want to spend a $1,000 on a grill. After looking at the reviews and comments on multiple forums, the 560 interested me. The local fleet farm had a 10% off sale, so I picked it up at $450.... Assembled and seasoned it yesterday and I'm ready to cook today.... A couple of initial thoughts, much of this has been discussed in previous posts.

1. I'm a pretty handy guy, assembly took me about 2 1/2 hours; there are a lot of parts to assemble. The biggest pain was attaching the handle. I tried attaching it by myself and dropped 3 screws inside the cover, luckily I was able to get 2 of the screws out. When you attach the handle, a second set of hands would be helpful.
2. I had a heck of a time trying to light the charcoal using crumpled up paper (it was a bit windy yesterday), so I bought some tumbleweed fire starter at wallyworld and it started right up.
3. For a charcoal fueled grill, I'm amazed at how well it held it's temp. I was within +/- 5 degrees of the target all day. Even when I opened the door, it was very quick to get back to the target temperature. Once you have it going, it reaches high temps quickly. I'm curious to see if I'll get the same result with food on it. I'm guessing I will.....
4. I was using an Iphone and didn't have any issues connecting; however, I didn't have a chance to use the app., so the jury is still out on that....

Now on to cooking food!!!

I got rid of my Masterbuilt propane smoker a few years ago and have been debating about getting a pellet grill to replace since then. There are so many options and price points out there. I seriously debated about buying a rec tec, but didn't want to spend a $1,000 on a grill. After looking at the reviews and comments on multiple forums, the 560 interested me. The local fleet farm had a 10% off sale, so I picked it up at $450.... Assembled and seasoned it yesterday and I'm ready to cook today.... A couple of initial thoughts, much of this has been discussed in previous posts.

1. I'm a pretty handy guy, assembly took me about 2 1/2 hours; there are a lot of parts to assemble. The biggest pain was attaching the handle. I tried attaching it by myself and dropped 3 screws inside the cover, luckily I was able to get 2 of the screws out. When you attach the handle, a second set of hands would be helpful.
2. I had a heck of a time trying to light the charcoal using crumpled up paper (it was a bit windy yesterday), so I bought some tumbleweed fire starter at wallyworld and it started right up.
3. For a charcoal fueled grill, I'm amazed at how well it held it's temp. I was within +/- 5 degrees of the target all day. Even when I opened the door, it was very quick to get back to the target temperature. Once you have it going, it reaches high temps quickly. I'm curious to see if I'll get the same result with food on it. I'm guessing I will.....
4. I was using an Iphone and didn't have any issues connecting; however, I didn't have a chance to use the app., so the jury is still out on that....

Now on to cooking food!!!

Just remember, each time you open a lid or door to the grill, if you're using the app, you MUST press the connect button at the bottom of the control panel. When you open it up, the app will disconnect

Me too.
My wife had to help me with the handle.
She has smaller fingers too and got the screw out of the lid.

I cold smoked some cheese this morning in my 560.

Sliced med cheddar.
Apple pellets in smoke tube.
20 minutes each side.

Now the hard part...
the one week wait.

Interesting...........I wish they would outlaw them cheap plastic wheels, they have always been the weak link for me. I like the fact that you can bump up the temp so fast.

I'm not sure what's happening, but I can't seem to locate the 560 or the larger one.
Ace Hardware is out of stock till late April/ May (while they are still offering free assembly and free delivery).
Can't get WalMart to answer the phone in lawn and garden (online shows they have them in stock). But that turns out to be not true, 80% of the time.
Amazon is showing these at over $600 each. AND, not available till mid April to mid May.
If I purchase at MasterBuilt website, I'm going to pay $50 shipping and I can't tell if they are even in stock or when it would ship.
Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

Interesting...........I wish they would outlaw them cheap plastic wheels, they have always been the weak link for me. I like the fact that you can bump up the temp so fast.
The wheels on the 560 aren't the cheap plastic ones that end up getting a flat spot. Also solid axle on it instead of a tube, was pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: negolien
I got my 1050 last Friday from The BBQ HQ. Got it setup and cooked some chicken on. I posted a bit about it on another forum. So far loving this thing. It’s really easy to use, but it’s also got a learning curve to get the best results. Looking forward to a lot of cooking on this thing.

I got my 1050 last Friday from The BBQ HQ. Got it setup and cooked some chicken on. I posted a bit about it on another forum. So far loving this thing. It’s really easy to use, but it’s also got a learning curve to get the best results. Looking forward to a lot of cooking on this thing.

Gotta see some pics !
Did some thighs on my 560 today...
LOVE IT !

Reactions: negolien
Ross is right..LOL dude you can cook 7 racks of ribs horizontally how is that not a decent size? Some spoiled people on this planet just saying.. racks are 22x 14 yes but that's times 3 not a single 22x14. Now I get that alof of straight smokers tend to be huge. The point of this grill was to be a catch all for people that wanted to smoke AND grill it's also meant to be at a substantially lower price point than other decent smokers..people tend to forget that I think.

The 560 is legitimate and can easily cook 12 burgers with the 3 racks but I wouldn't say this grill/smoker's the #1 choice for hamburgers. I wouldn't want the fat on the heat manifold and additional cleaning so I would personally pull out the Weber Kettle for those cooks.

The 2 top racks on the MB 560 are half racks so you would want to buy additional full size racks. The larger grill, the 1060, is also available now. For my family and personal use, the 560 is plenty big and going to be more efficient than the larger version but I know some need a larger grill. If I was cooking that much, I think I would be looking at other options like barrels, professional models, etc.

You will have a hard time getting the 560 or the larger 1050 version although there are BBQ sites that have inventory.

I have done brisket, dry aged prime ribeyes and NY strip, smoked pasta, smoked salmon, etc. This has been a great distraction in quarantine

The 560 is legitimate and can easily cook 12 burgers with the 3 racks but I wouldn't say this grill/smoker's the #1 choice for hamburgers. I wouldn't want the fat on the heat manifold and additional cleaning so I would personally pull out the Weber Kettle for those cooks.

I was hoping to use it to replace my smoker and charcoal/gas grill combo. I was originally worried about how much charcoal it would use for quickly cooking some burgers, but hadn’t thought about all the grease going to the heat manifold... Would cooking the burgers on one of the upper racks with a grease pan on the bottom rack solve the issue?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky