Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a new use for the 560 that I am sure no one else would think of.
I am an archer and make bows. I intend to cure the risers of take-down bows in my 560.
The epoxy needs to be cured at 190' for 9 hours.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I would figure a cheap old electric oven would be a safer and cheaper alternative. do those risers really need smoke flavoring?

Reactions: Will Squared
Probably not.
The previous plan was to make a large "Easy Bake Oven" type affair.
Back to the Drawing Board...

I have not been on FB since 2015 when they required me to provide a photo ID with my home address. No thanks. But I am loving this Forum! There is a LOT of info here. Nice folks too.

I'm not a big FB fan. I have a minimal amount of personal information on FB. I just use it for groups like the one for the MB 560. Tons of good info including posts from Masterbuilt employees. FB didn't require a photo ID when I signed up.

Did these 3/4 thick pork steaks the other night on this beast and they were out of this world. This thing is a game changer for me at least. Soaked in Sesame Ginger overnight, just put SPOG on them and tossed them on. Smoked at 225 with hickory chunks in the ash bucket until a 130 IT then cranked it up to 400 for 2 minutes each side and got to 145-148 IT.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 332
  • griil.jpg
    griil.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 335
Ohhh man I shouldn't have wondered into here. I was just about to go and pick up a GMG Davy Crockett for my 8 year old daughter to cook on and because I need more capacity than my WSM. Now I want one of these. They seem easy enough outside of lighting for my daughter to cook on. It also appears there is some nice capacity to handle a larger brisket and full racks of ribs.

For folks considering this grill, be aware there are some software problems with the app for bluetooth and wifi. Seems iPhones work very well with it, Android is hit or miss. Masterbuilt is working on the problem and is aware of it affecting a LOT of us. One more thing: Be aware that everytime you will open the lid, lower door and upper lid and close it, you will have to push the lower button to reconnect. That's designed for safety reasons and can't be easily defeated.

Loved mine, until I didn't

Last night threw some pork chops on and seared them at 550. After moving the chops up when I tried to set the temperature the controller would cycle off, come up with the R and V numbers, cycle off and repeat. Unplugged it for 2 minutes, plugged it back in, same result. Unplugged it for 10 minutes, repeated and same results. It would come up at the 225 and seemed fine unless I tried to change temps. Was fine with any of the other functions. Unplugged over night, same issues. Back to the pellet pooper for the superbowl I guess.

The Good
When this works it is pretty much a set it and forget it. Amazed at how well it holds temperature as well as how accurate it is. The "smoke" is also incredible and being able to sear as well as smoke makes this unit worth the price point.

The Bad
As I have a MES 40 and a MES 30 I am familiar with Masterbuilts quality and construction so was not terribly concerned with what I saw. That being said the first time I cooked on it I ran a couple Chucks for six hours. Lump being what it is the design of the grate allowed a lot of small pieces to drop into the "ash bucket" filling it up 3/4 of the way with still burning coals which subsequently allowed enough heat to the door to burn the paint which resulted in the melting of the rubber gasket around the door. Needless to say that allowed extra air in which allowed the burn to move higher than it should which caused the paint on the hopper door to also burn. I personally don't need the app or really care about it but had the same issues with my android phone that everyone else has been having. The other "bad" which is really more of just a complaint is the terrible cord it comes with. Just don't really want to be BBQing with a cord that looks like it should be charging the wifes tooth brush.

The Ugly
As of today I have had this for a week as my wife picked it up for me last Friday for my birthday. A $500 price point for something I got to cook on 5 times in 6 days before it went south is...…. well in a word, crappy. It seems to me that this hit the market a little soon as I am not the only one having issues. Kinda like a car I guess, never buy one in the first model year.

• Wow
Reactions: Will Squared
Loved mine, until I didn't

Last night threw some pork chops on and seared them at 550. After moving the chops up when I tried to set the temperature the controller would cycle off, come up with the R and V numbers, cycle off and repeat. Unplugged it for 2 minutes, plugged it back in, same result. Unplugged it for 10 minutes, repeated and same results. It would come up at the 225 and seemed fine unless I tried to change temps. Was fine with any of the other functions. Unplugged over night, same issues. Back to the pellet pooper for the superbowl I guess.

The Good
When this works it is pretty much a set it and forget it. Amazed at how well it holds temperature as well as how accurate it is. The "smoke" is also incredible and being able to sear as well as smoke makes this unit worth the price point.

The Bad
As I have a MES 40 and a MES 30 I am familiar with Masterbuilts quality and construction so was not terribly concerned with what I saw. That being said the first time I cooked on it I ran a couple Chucks for six hours. Lump being what it is the design of the grate allowed a lot of small pieces to drop into the "ash bucket" filling it up 3/4 of the way with still burning coals which subsequently allowed enough heat to the door to burn the paint which resulted in the melting of the rubber gasket around the door. Needless to say that allowed extra air in which allowed the burn to move higher than it should which caused the paint on the hopper door to also burn. I personally don't need the app or really care about it but had the same issues with my android phone that everyone else has been having. The other "bad" which is really more of just a complaint is the terrible cord it comes with. Just don't really want to be BBQing with a cord that looks like it should be charging the wifes tooth brush.

The Ugly
As of today I have had this for a week as my wife picked it up for me last Friday for my birthday. A $500 price point for something I got to cook on 5 times in 6 days before it went south is...…. well in a word, crappy. It seems to me that this hit the market a little soon as I am not the only one having issues. Kinda like a car I guess, never buy one in the first model year.
Contact John McLemore? He's really good about getting back with people. Have been reading a lot of people talking about him helping to get their smoker corrected. Most of the time it's been simple things.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky