Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking good so far! Put some mileage in on it and let us know what you think.
What's not good about the app?
How is heat distribution around the cooking area?
Is the controller temp fairly accurate to cooking chamber?
What about temp swings?

The app has some connectivity issues. It works but spotty. Didn't really test the temp in different areas. To be determined on the temp controller. I think its accurate but the grill temp probe may be in a bad spot. My thermoworks grill temp probe was reading about 25 degrees lower so to run at 250 I had to turn it up to 275. The grill temp probe is under that metal flap and you can see the thermopro in front of it. Also in very bottom of the lower left corner you can see the masterbuilt meat probe tip. It was reading the same as my thermopro

20191124_073351.jpg

Any updates on this smoker?
It’s been awesome. I’ve had it since last week and have done 3 cooks on it so far. I reverse seared tri tip and made some CSR’s. The smoke flavor has been great. The one area I appreciate is the amount of time it takes to get up to temp. I can get to 200 in about 5-7 minutes from a cold start and then when I need to bump it up to sear my steaks, I can get to 700 in about 2-3 minutes. Overall I am very happy with this grill and it’ll be my go to smoker/grill now.
There are some issues with shipping these grills. There is a FB group for the Gravity feed where multiple people are reporting damage to the grill during shipment. I was one of them; mine fame damaged. MB will hopefully fix the shipping issues. Other than that, the grill has been awesome.

It’s been awesome. I’ve had it since last week and have done 3 cooks on it so far. I reverse seared tri tip and made some CSR’s. The smoke flavor has been great. The one area I appreciate is the amount of time it takes to get up to temp. I can get to 200 in about 5-7 minutes from a cold start and then when I need to bump it up to sear my steaks, I can get to 700 in about 2-3 minutes. Overall I am very happy with this grill and it’ll be my go to smoker/grill now.
There are some issues with shipping these grills. There is a FB group for the Gravity feed where multiple people are reporting damage to the grill during shipment. I was one of them; mine fame damaged. MB will hopefully fix the shipping issues. Other than that, the grill has been awesome.

Glad to hear that grill is working out well for you. I was concerned that the axial fan for air delivery may not have enough oomph to get your pit up to temp quickly. Glad to see that concern is unfounded.

I will be following users of this grill as I think it is an interesting design and want to hear about how it is used and how it works.

Happy cooking! :emoji_cat:

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Will Squared

Just curious, what was the starting ambient temperature? That's one of my biggest things is that I somehow always end up having to cook on super cool days and burn a lot of fuel just getting up and going.

That's Great, T8!!!
I'm glad to hear the good news on it!!
Please continue to update, when you can.

Bear

Just curious, what was the starting ambient temperature? That's one of my biggest things is that I somehow always end up having to cook on super cool days and burn a lot of fuel just getting up and going.
I’m in southern California. It’s not usually too cold here. Last night it was about 46 outside when I fired up the grill. So it wasn’t too warm outside but I’m sure much warmer than other parts of the country.
I need to really pay attention, but I feel like on a smoke, it’s burning about 1.5 - 2 pounds of fuel an hour. Pretty on par with my Rectec. Only thing is that I have to fill it frequently. My next cook I’m gonna weigh what I put in and track how much exactly I get from a long smoke.

For those of you already using charcoal, this probably isn’t as exciting. But I came from a pellet grill so I get pretty happy with this. This was the amount of smoke coming off the grill at 250. Even at high temps, I can still get really great amounts of smoke. This was always an issue with my pellet grill, at about 250- 275, the level of smoke decreased significantly. Was gonna post a video but apparently all I can post are photos. Always difficult to see in photos but this was tbs, but hope this helps

Attachments

• 6DE7160F-066B-439E-84DB-2BB6B09DF0FD.jpeg
    6DE7160F-066B-439E-84DB-2BB6B09DF0FD.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 247
For those of you already using charcoal, this probably isn’t as exciting. But I came from a pellet grill so I get pretty happy with this. This was the amount of smoke coming off the grill at 250. Even at high temps, I can still get really great amounts of smoke. This was always an issue with my pellet grill, at about 250- 275, the level of smoke decreased significantly. Was gonna post a video but apparently all I can post are photos. Always difficult to see in photos but this was tbs, but hope this helps

Are you putting wood in with rev charcoal or the bottom basket below the charcoal?

And how was the smoke flavor compared to the pellet smoker? More intense?
Yes for sure. Reminded me of when I used my offset smoker years ago. In my offset I would use a combo of charcoal and wood in a basket. Did this for a long time till I had my second kid and didn’t have time to sit and monitor the offset for extended cooks. This is why I went with the pellet grill, which has been solid, but lacks in the smoke department. I think because I had used the offset with charcoal/wood for so long, I knew what I was missing and was never 100% happy with it. This MB560 is nowhere built the same as the rectec, but I’ll take the better smoke flavor I get with the MB. Price point on this grill is really good too.
They just need to figure out the shipping issues as there are quite a few getting damaged in delivery.

Thanks for the info. I started with a Weber Smokey Mountain and also bought a RecTec due to the ease of use. Will the Masterbuilt be able to smoke a brisket overnight without worrying about the charcoal running out?
That’s a great question. I think it depends on the fuel, lump or briquettes. People are getting better times with briquettes on this grill vs lump. I’ll probably do a pork butt this weekend, I can report back on how much fuel I use. I believe Masterbuilt clames the hopper will hold 10 pounds of lump and 15 pounds of briquettes. If I’m truly burning 1.5 pounds per hour, then the 10 pounds of lump will get me 6-7 hours. So it may not get you through the night. If I have time this weekend, I’ll do a long cook and let you know.

I have been running lump exclusively until my last cook (tried some B&B charlogs). I don't mind the reloading because it's super easy. Just open the top to the hopper dump in lump, close it up and continue with what you were doing. A good briquette like weber brand will be good for overnight cooking.

Just purchased this from MB (only place to get cover to for me) after a few weeks of looking at propane, pellet and electric...Wanted something to both grill and smoke and was not thrilled at the auger issues on pellet grills. New to smoking so hoping this will be a good investment to learn. Wil keep checking the thread here. thanks for the info

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky