Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those are nice ! I need to invest in one of those and they deff keep you aware of what's going on. And good color on the brisket ! Could the drops be due to opening the lid ?

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Assembly took a couple hours and I had help. Lots of parts and pieces. I believe it weighs just over 200 lbs so you might need a little help with the box.
Seasoning took 3 hours for the grill and another half hour for the griddle. The instructions don’t mention seasoning the griddle but I found a YouTube video showing how:

Coming from a pellet smoker, I’m amazed at how well it maintains temperature.

Great. Thanks for the feedback. I hope to get it up and running, but we'll see. I'm in Seattle, which means rain for most of the week. Might have to wait until a full day off to get it assembled.

Glad to hear that it holds temps well.

Those are nice ! I need to invest in one of those and they deff keep you aware of what's going on. And good color on the brisket ! Could the drops be due to opening the lid ?

Yes, the drop are door opening, which I tried to avoid. But I also learned that this cooker recovers quickly.

Brisket finished with what I get on my stick burner .............

20210131_192018_resized.jpg

Reactions: Will Squared
I like the large vent on the back, it should help create a lot of air flow. That's what I don' like about my WSM, it has very little air flow.

But its also strange to walk around behind the cooker and look in and see the meat. Tom Horsman built a vent cover, but I'm not sure I wanna do anything that restricts air flow. Tom loves his MB560 more than any YouTuber I've seen , got a bunch of vids and mods

I found a magnetic strip that is designed to hold wrenches at Northern Tool. The Strip fits perfect and I can open the vent as much or as little as I like to adjust the amount of smoke in cook chamber. Works like a charm for shorter cooks

I found a magnetic strip that is designed to hold wrenches at Northern Tool. The Strip fits perfect and I can open the vent as much or as little as I like to adjust the amount of smoke in cook chamber. Works like a charm for shorter cooks

How does the strip help with snuffing out flare ups? i had a 4 alarm flare up last night and my misting bottle broke. 8 hour 2 pork butt cook then a 600 degree chicken cook. Probly should have cleaned a bit in hind sight.

How does the strip help with snuffing out flare ups? i had a 4 alarm flare up last night and my misting bottle broke. 8 hour 2 pork butt cook then a 600 degree chicken cook. Probly should have cleaned a bit in hind sight.
Yeah but didn't it give the bird great color and flavor LOL? I recently had the same experience myself And learned a valuable lesson. Clean after a long cook . That's why I use pans as much as possible

I've been wondering about grease flare ups or fires or whatever ya wanna call em also. I used a drip pan on the brisket cook. Put foil down on the grease tray and the manifold before my first chicken cook and replaced it for the brisket. I can see that keeping it clean is gonna be a chore, but necessary.

It was pure memory loss on my part to not clean haha. My ol lady cannot see the grill from the kitchen but sure did see the Clark Griswold sized flash.

I'm a bit confused, the pork butt and chicken were two separate cooks ? Or did the flare up occur during the pork butt cook ?

Kosmos did a vid on the 560 after Masterbuilt sent him one, this looks like a major flare up to me but did not seem to bother Kosmos, at all

I think I saw something about a mod that would allow a drip pan under the bottom grate ? It set on some brackets on the manifold, IIRC .
LSS mods sells a manifold cover with lips on the front and back that would direct the grease to the left side of the cook box and away from the openings of the manifolds. They also have brackets you can set into the lips that will hold a grease tray.

I'm a bit confused, the pork butt and chicken were two separate cooks ? Or did the flare up occur during the pork butt cook ?

Kosmos did a vid on the 560 after Masterbuilt sent him one, this looks like a major flare up to me but did not seem to bother Kosmos, at all

Yes different cooks. The butts were Sunday at 275 degrees then last night fired it up to 600 for chicken breasts and thats when the magic happened. i have seen that vid and mine was a bit more severe. I was more concerned with the materials taking a prolonged direct flame honestly. Probly nothing to worry about just paranoid.

Has anyone put gaskets around the cook chamber door ?

Tom Horsman put new gaskets on the hopper lid and ash bin door. I'm thinking of doing that.

Reactions: negolien
My brisket cook turned the inside of my hopper white, is this normal ? I was using B&B Char Logs and pecan chunks.

Here's the aluminum foil I put over the top of the hopper to protect the lid

20210204_112215_resized.jpg
20210204_112227_resized.jpg
20210204_112228_resized.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky