Masterbuilt 230s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Insta_Glazed

Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
Hi guys I just received a newer Masterbuilt 230s I'm going to play around with before I enter into the big boy smoker world. I have a few things I want to mod before I really get going and wanted some input.
First I'm looking to add a gasket seal to the doors, RTV to seal up and other leaky spots if needed, Inkbird IBT-4XS thermo to make temping easy and possibly a 5 x 8 smoker maze. Are any of these ideas overkill?
Also if anyone has a inexpensive make shift outdoor smoking hut for New England winters feel free to share your ideas.

Attachments

• 20200621_183856.jpg
    20200621_183856.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Welcome from central NY! The Inkbird IBT-4XS is certainly not over kill. I use mine all the time. With either using just 1 probe. Or all 4 of them. Sealing up any leaks is not a bad idea either.
I hope you enjoy your venture into smoking!

Reactions: Insta_Glazed
Welcome from Ga. Everything you mentioned is right on the money. You'll find this is the best place to be.

for a smoking hut...hard to beat a large corrugated cardboard box placed over the entire rig. Cut about a 4x8" slot at the bottom for air input and a 2" dia hole at the top for exhaust. If it's a little windy, put a 4x4 across the top to weight it down. If it's real windy, forget the box idea completely. :-) Prob ok for light snow as well. If it's raining hard, it'll work once. Keep ~6" spacing of the cardboard to the flame source...they're hotter down low than on top.

If you want something a little more durable, consider strapping together some corrugated steel roofing panels into a 4-sided box, with a scrap on top for a roof.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky