• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Masterbuilt 230s

Insta_Glazed

Joined Sep 22, 2020
Hi guys I just received a newer Masterbuilt 230s I'm going to play around with before I enter into the big boy smoker world. I have a few things I want to mod before I really get going and wanted some input.
First I'm looking to add a gasket seal to the doors, RTV to seal up and other leaky spots if needed, Inkbird IBT-4XS thermo to make temping easy and possibly a 5 x 8 smoker maze. Are any of these ideas overkill?
Also if anyone has a inexpensive make shift outdoor smoking hut for New England winters feel free to share your ideas.

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Welcome from central NY! The Inkbird IBT-4XS is certainly not over kill. I use mine all the time. With either using just 1 probe. Or all 4 of them. Sealing up any leaks is not a bad idea either.
I hope you enjoy your venture into smoking!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome aboard!
Looking forward to seeing that new rig in action!
Al

MJB05615

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 12, 2018
Welcome from Ga. Everything you mentioned is right on the money. You'll find this is the best place to be.

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
for a smoking hut...hard to beat a large corrugated cardboard box placed over the entire rig. Cut about a 4x8" slot at the bottom for air input and a 2" dia hole at the top for exhaust. If it's a little windy, put a 4x4 across the top to weight it down. If it's real windy, forget the box idea completely. :-) Prob ok for light snow as well. If it's raining hard, it'll work once. Keep ~6" spacing of the cardboard to the flame source...they're hotter down low than on top.

If you want something a little more durable, consider strapping together some corrugated steel roofing panels into a 4-sided box, with a scrap on top for a roof.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.