• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Masterbuilt 140S vs 20070311

njsmoker67

Joined May 24, 2018
Im completely new to smoking. im looking at the masterbuilt 40" to be my first electric smoker. i see everywhere has the 20070311 for around $320ish and then see the 20072618 140S from Academy for $199.99. whats the difference between the two? they look similar. not sure whats the difference when i compare them. sorry if this has been asked before. i saw posts here but got lost in it all. made me more confused.

thank you
andrew

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Im completely new to smoking. im looking at the masterbuilt 40" to be my first electric smoker. i see everywhere has the 20070311 for around $320ish and then see the 20072618 140S from Academy for $199.99. whats the difference between the two? they look similar. not sure whats the difference when i compare them. sorry if this has been asked before. i saw posts here but got lost in it all. made me more confused.

thank you
andrew

It would help if you give a link to show which one for $199 you're talking about.

Here's how to tell them apart & my thoughts on the various models:
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

Bear

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 13, 2017

thank you
andrew
Hi Andrew, Welcome to SMF!
The 40 inch model is highly prided here.
I lookied around but for what I wanted, and where I was going, and especially since I'm basically an Island here with my smoked meats love, I scaled back, and refined, and got a fairly basic digital MES 30.
Then, after one smoke in it, I corrected the things that were wrong about it for my specific needs.

Now, I love it. But holy moly, it's a far cry from out of the box. And a highly refined version of what I've done for a long, long time. (Which is basic Cold and Warm smoking.)
But since I'm almost the only one who likes smoked food in my immediate vicinity, a smaller smoker works fine for me.
But, like Bear does, you can grab the model that fits your wants (mine were simplistic), and add an AMNPS, and be a smoken Guru as fast as you can haul meat home.

I look at the pictures of a fortune in food all stacked up in a smoker (any smoker), and wonder how it tastes with everything dripping down on everything else. Because I know better.
So more's the reason for me to want a smaller smoker, too.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Andrew,
Just so you know, like many others here I started with an MES 30---9 years ago, because it's just me & Mrs Bear doing the eating. However like so many others it didn't take long to realize it's not how many are eating, it's how much room some things take.
I got tired of cutting my Rib Racks in half because the MES 30 was too narrow. And forget about a Brisket in an MES 30.
Then I made 10 pounds of Beef Sticks & found out I could only get 7 pound in the MES 30.
Plus the MES 30 only has an 800 Watt heating element, and the MES 40 has a 1200, and can recover in much less time.

So save your money by not buying an MES 30, and ending up buying the MES 40 later.

The voice of experience.

BTW: Whichever one you get, you can always use this to get you started.
They're All Step by Step How-Tos:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 13, 2017
Andrew,
Just so you know, like many others here I started with an MES 30---9 years ago, because it's just me & Mrs Bear doing the eating. However like so many others it didn't take long to realize it's not how many are eating, it's how much room some things take.
I got tired of cutting my Rib Racks in half because the MES 30 was too narrow. And forget about a Brisket in an MES 30.
Then I made 10 pounds of Beef Sticks & found out I could only get 7 pound in the MES 30.
Plus the MES 30 only has an 800 Watt heating element, and the MES 40 has a 1200, and can recover in much less time.

So save your money by not buying an MES 30, and ending up buying the MES 40 later.

The voice of experience.

BTW: Whichever one you get, you can always use this to get you started.
They're All Step by Step How-Tos:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear
:p

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.