Making jerky and FOOD SAFETY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
for what it's worth....

Why is temperature important when drying meat and poultry jerky?
There have been illnesses from Salmonella and E. coli O157:H7 from homemade jerky that raise questions about the safety of traditional drying methods for making beef and venison jerky.

To make jerky safely at home, the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline recommends that consumers cook all meat to 160 °F and all poultry to 165 °F before they begin the dehydrating process. This cooking step ensures that any bacteria present will be destroyed. Most dehydrator instructions do not include this step, and a dehydrator may not reach high enough temperatures to heat meat and poultry to these safe temperatures.

After heating meat to 160 °F and poultry to 165 °F, maintain a constant dehydrator temperature of 130 to 140 °F during the drying process. This is important because the process must be fast enough to dry food before it becomes unsafe; and it must remove enough water so that microorganisms are unable to multiply.

[Top of Page]

Why is it a food safety concern to dry meat without cooking it first?
The danger in dehydrating meat and poultry without cooking it to a safe temperature first is that the dehydrator will not heat meat to 160 °F or poultry to 165 °F — temperatures at which bacteria are destroyed — before the jerky dries. Bacteria that are not destroyed by cooking can survive dehydrating and cause foodborne illness.

In a dehydrator or low-temperature oven, most of the heat is absorbed by evaporating moisture. Thus, the temperature of the meat does not begin to rise until most of the moisture has evaporated. Therefore, when the dried meat temperature finally begins to rise, the bacteria have become more heat resistant and are more likely to survive. If these surviving bacteria are pathogenic (types that cause foodborne diseases), anyone who consumes the jerky can get a foodborne illness.

good to know. I have a question however. With thin sliced jerky it will be difficult to tell when it gets up to 165 because you can't get a thermometer in the meat. My guess is to run the temp at 200-225 for the first hour then lower it down to 13-140. In the past I always did 130 for 24 hrs. I may have to re-think this. Any comments/ideas?

HT

Any comments/ideas?
I've was not setting out to do what Dave talks about above , but I have made jerky from homemade dried beef and pastrami leftovers . So it was cured and smoked whole , to 160 , then sliced thin and further dried .

If you use a liquid marinade, you can heat the marinade to 165 for 10-15 minutes and that should kill it all.. then do what ever you do..

good to know. I have a question however. With thin sliced jerky it will be difficult to tell when it gets up to 165 because you can't get a thermometer in the meat. My guess is to run the temp at 200-225 for the first hour then lower it down to 13-140. In the past I always did 130 for 24 hrs. I may have to re-think this. Any comments/ideas? HT

I just got off the phone with a friend that has been making jerky for decades. He said he steams the meat to an IT of 165, then cuts it and dries it. Put the rope away. I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just repeating what he told me.

Reactions: SonnyE
Rope not necessary. I think 165* is 165* no matter how you get there. I don't know about steaming them though. Just like I'm not sure about boiling ribs before smoking, but some people have staked their commercial Q business on that very process.

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky