Making dust from pellets...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Mr T told me he makes dust all the time for some of his smoking needs.. He ground the pellets in a food processor or something.. I tried it and it seemed a little tough on the machine.. Pellets are HARD !!!..
So I threw them in warm HOT water.. in about 4 minutes they were falling apart... I stirred them.. not much help, so into the blender they went... skip the blender part.. makes too fine a dust... just stir, stir and stir until they are crumbled.. decant the water and dump onto a sheet pan that was lined with paper towels... The towels help wick away water from the wood dust and keeps the dust from sticking to the sheet pan....

Wet dust....... the pictures suck...
001.JPG ... 002.JPG

Dust...
004.JPG ... 003.JPG

Burned slow and cool... another option when smoking stuff... I think this is good for cheese and salmon... I'm looking forward to trying it...
Dust 004.JPG .. Totally burned up... I forgot to take a picture... That pile took about 1.5 hours ... I think.. just looked at my watch and didn't write anything down...
Dave...

Last edited:
I had an open large bag of pecan pellets accidentally get wet when I left it in the back of my truck. No drying them out. They absorbed the water, bag expanded, and I ended up with saw dust. I kept it and use it. Makes great smoke for a longer time in my set up. Happy accident!

The pellets were designed for pellet smokers. The dust had to be pressured into pellets so the pellet auger on the pellet smoker could feed it to the smoker.

Dust is far better if you can use it IMO.

My cousins have been using dust for years, they buy it as dust. comes in a pretty good sized box. I think they get it from sausage maker. Might check that out dave instead of buying pellets and having to make dust.

Didn’t know you could do that brother Dave. I burn Todd’s dust rather than pellets. The dust seems to burn better in my rig. I’ve never had a tray of lit dust go out. This is a handy tip. Like!

Reactions: hoity toit
Can you use dust in an AMNPS tray?? Or do you need the dust tray that Todd sells?
I've got some pellets I wouldn't mind turning into dust.
Gary
Howdy Gary. Hope all is well. Yup I’ve been just using my pellet maze. Works great. But after the burn I need to give it a once over with a wire brush to open this breather holes in the bottom of the tray. The dust seems to clog them a bit more than the pellets. But I like the burn. Todd did warned me about a flair up . But do not believe that’s occurred to me.

How long do you get out of one row of dust in the 5x8? I have used dust and pellets both from Todd for going on 5 years in a mailbox mod and MES 30. I acquired a Smokin-It 3 and am experimenting? Tonight I got 3 hours out of one row, when I pulled it, it had slowed way down but was working its way around the corner. Air flow/oxygen is a issue with these units. I smoke my salmon for the first couple hours at 110 with smoke and that is not going to happen with chunks or even with the AMNPS inside the Smokin-It. I tried it without any food, set temp at 110 and with dust burning temps went to 140. That was with a ambient temp of around 65.

How long do you get out of one row of dust in the 5x8? I have used dust and pellets both from Todd for going on 5 years in a mailbox mod and MES 30. I acquired a Smokin-It 3 and am experimenting? Tonight I got 3 hours out of one row, when I pulled it, it had slowed way down but was working its way around the corner. Air flow/oxygen is a issue with these units. I smoke my salmon for the first couple hours at 110 with smoke and that is not going to happen with chunks or even with the AMNPS inside the Smokin-It. I tried it without any food, set temp at 110 and with dust burning temps went to 140. That was with a ambient temp of around 65.
Yes sir. I was about to replace my old MES with your unit. Bear convinced me to stick with MES. It’s what I am use to cooking with And I like the glass window. But I sure admire those sturdy Smokinit units.
No first hand knowledge but have read the only thing to use are chunks of wood in smokinit.
I read low airflow May not keep the maze lit. It’s evident that they are built tight.
I’ve not timed the burn using dust. But will and report back to you. My method with dust is that butts and brisket take a full load of dust. Poultry takes a half load. Not scientific but everyone seems to enjoy the meal. LOL. B

I have the Smokin- It 4 and use the 5x8 tray without any issues as recommend by Martin (Diggin Dog Farm ) a
few years back but I enlarged the drain hole a little when it first arrived . I was going to buy a used blender
for making sawdust but we already have a Vita Mix blender and they have one with different blades for dry
I use Todds Pellets and it works great ( for me ). I also micro my pellets and dust which I learned from this site

HTH Paul
IMG_0623.JPG

Dave, Thanks for the information. I have one question(s): How long does it take to dry the pellets out enough to use them and do you air dry, oven or nuke them to dry?

Chris

Dave good info thanks! Going to make some Cob & Hickory dust.
Richie

Richie, morning... I just had a friend deliver "cob" from tractor supply... I'm looking forward to smoking some belly with it... Let us know how grinding the cob works... I'd like cooler, less smoke, longer cold smokes to try on my bacon.... Trying to achieve "long ago" smoking techniques...

Reactions: SonnyE
Richie, morning... I just had a friend deliver "cob" from tractor supply... I'm looking forward to smoking some belly with it... Let us know how grinding the cob works... I'd like cooler, less smoke, longer cold smokes to try on my bacon.... Trying to achieve "long ago" smoking techniques...

I think I will wet them I know they will fall a part,then dry them plan on doing a Ham for Easter I remember you said you were getting some Cob Pellets
Richie

That it doe,no TS in my area so when I was in Ga. I got a bag,stopped at Cabelas one day and they had 40# bag of Hickory $6.00 It is a win win for me
Richie

I've got a Traeger supplier down the road that has good deals on 30# bags.. I think they are 30#'ers...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky