Making dust from pellets...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey... GMC.... Just saw your post... HOLEY KEE RAP am I slow...
Anywho... On the tray, in the oven/smoker set on 250-270 for a couple hours... done...

Sorry about the slooooooooow response.... Dave

No problem Dave, thanks for the info.

Chris

OK--I read every post on this thread, and I remember hearing about this a long time ago, but will somebody please answer the question asked earlier:
Why not just buy Dust & Pellets, like I've been doing for 8 years, instead of grinding some of your pellets into dust?

Bear

OK--I read every post on this thread, and I remember hearing about this a long time ago, but will somebody please answer the question asked earlier:
Why not just buy Dust & Pellets, like I've been doing for 8 years, instead of grinding some of your pellets into dust?

Bear
Hi all,
Have been following this thread & want to add that in my travels, have run across some local individuals that buy 8' logs that they cut up into stove length firewood to sell. I stopped at one place that cut up red oak that way to sell to local BBQ joints. When I asked him about what he did with the sawdust he said I could have all I wanted for free. I got 3, 5 gallon buckets. Still have most of it. Only problem was it had rained just before I got there, but spread it out in the sun to dry stirring it occasionally. Can't beat the cost.
Alan

Bear

Hi Bear
For me It`s just easier buying pellets . I put in what flavor I want 1 wiz for about 60 seconds I`m
done Like I say that`s just for me . I only wiz enough for the 5x8

Paul

Bear, morning.... pound for pound, pellets are way cheaper... and you have the convenience of 2 types of fuel...
Anyhow, that's how this dummy looks at it...

Bear

Bear, morning.... pound for pound, pellets are way cheaper... and you have the convenience of 2 types of fuel...
Anyhow, that's how this dummy looks at it...

Thanks Dave!
Now that's a good reason---Strange that they are, but a good reason.

Bear

Richie, morning... I just had a friend deliver "cob" from tractor supply... I'm looking forward to smoking some belly with it... Let us know how grinding the cob works... I'd like cooler, less smoke, longer cold smokes to try on my bacon.... Trying to achieve "long ago" smoking techniques...

You are going to like the cob pellets, it is all I use on bacon and most pork.

Afternoon HT... I have heard sooooo much about how good it is... I'm waiting to try it...

Having ruined our wedding present (1978) Cuisinart trying to grind up wood chips, I am not a fan of this process.

How did it fail? The blade shattered and the bowl melted. Fortunately, the motor was OK. I was able to buy a new blade and bowl off eBay, so my wife is still speaking to me.

Most people that do this buy a $5 swapmeet blender and use that. I can't imagine doing it in a $500 Vitamix.

But I'm with Bear on this one: just buy the dust from Todd.

A while back I needed some material to try and make pucks for my Bradley puck pusher.
I found a 20# bag of Hickory Pellets at Walmart for $10.95 IIRC.
Anyway, some in a coffee can with some warm water and POOF, damp sawdust.
I managed to make some pucks, but they were inferior to real super expensive Bradley pucks.
But heck yeah, if you want dust, just wet some pellets, then dry them in the sun.
But not on a windy day. Nope. Your hard won dust will be gone like a fart in the wind... :(

Yep... A little water takes all the work out of the blender... Like making a smoothie...

I was glad my wife wasn't home when I microwaved some pellets to dry them out.
The house smelled like my shop. But it aired out before she got home. LOL!

Taking this a step further today...
I wanted some 'reduced fuel' for my new smoker. So I put a small handful on the concrete and started tapping the pellets with a 2 pound steel hammer. Just enough to bust them down.
Now, admittedly, not the best method. No. But I wanted dry fuel.
So in a few minutes I had about a cup full of reduced pellets to play with.

Makes me wish I had Dad's old iron mortar and pestle for ore samples.
If you have one for crushing herbs, might think about trying that. ;)

OK, smoker ought to be hot about now... :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky