Make your own English muffins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
The price of tasty English muffins where I shop has gotten ridiculous, like 60-70 cents per muffin. There are cheaper muffins, at 30 cents per, but they are meh.

The price of muffins encouraged me to try making my own. My first attempt with a different recipe was a friggin' disaster, making six of the densest bricks I've ever tasted. My wife wouldn't eat them. I ate every one of those six muffin monsters.

Then comes today and a different recipe. I just made 12 incredibly light, tender, cranny-filled mega-muffins for less than $1. My wife just came downstairs from working and raved about the one I toasted, buttered, and gave her.

First, let me apologize that I didn't think of taking pics until I'd started fry baking the muffins. I didn't want to document another disaster. Now, I wish I had taken pics. I will next time, unless one of you want to give them a shot and beat me to it.

Here''s the recipe I adapted off the Internet.

ENGLISH MUFFINS

Recipe adapted from The Kitchn
Online Author: Buttertooth

Ray's notes: I made this recipe with King Arthur AP flour. Result was light, tender, cranny-filled English muffins. Tastes like Thomas EM but at fraction of the cost. Sooooo easy to make. I also made a few changes. Two tricks: work dough with wet hands, and use semolina like you would on pizza dough.

I did not cold ferment the dough in the fridge and these muffins were still full of nooks and crannies. A cold ferment will give the dough a light sourdough flavor.

INGREDIENTS
For the poolish:
¾ cup King Arthur AP flour
½ cup water
½ teaspoon active dry yeast

For the English muffin dough:
1 cup milk, whole or 2%, warmed to 100F.
1 teaspoon active dry or instant yeast
2 tablespoons honey or granulated sugar.
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups King Arthur AP flour
Semolina for dusting

INSTRUCTIONS
Make the poolish the night before mixing the rest of the ingredients. Mix the flour, water, and yeast together in a 2-3 cup bowl until glossy. Cover and allow to sit on the counter for 8-12 hours before continuing to the next step. Poolish should be bubbly before proceeding.

When ready to start fry baking, mix the salt and flour in a bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, combine the warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Check for small bubbles after a few minutes to ensure yeast is alive. It will not get foamy like it does in water.

Incorporate the poolish with a spoon, spatula, or whisk. It melts into the milk. Mixture will be frothy.

Add the beaten egg to the mixing bowl and incorporate with a whisk.

Slowly add the flour/salt and mix with the dough hook until a shaggy dough forms. Scrap the sides as necessary.

Using the hook attachment of your mixer, knead the dough on medium until it comes together as a shiny, smooth ball—about 7-8 minutes. If the ball is still clinging to the sides of the bowl, increase the speed to medium high until the gluten develops, the dough ball forms, and the dough no longer sticks to the sides. Another 2-3 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap, and let rise until doubled in size, about two hours. Alternatively, you can allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator overnight (and up to 3 days). Longer resting times means a more developed flavor.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface and divide into 12 equal pieces using a dough scraper. Shape into smooth balls with wet fingers and drop into a bowl of semolina to coat.

Dust a baking sheet with semolina and place muffins there for an additional rise until doubled in size, 1-2 hours. Dust the top of each muffin with more semolina.

Prep a metal spatula with semolina. Place a little pile of semolina next to each dough ball.

Warm a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Throw some semolina into the pan.

Quickly slide the spatula under a dough ball and transfer it to the warm pan, flipping the ball upside down. Fix any mishapes with the spatula.

Sprinkle more semolina on each muffin. Cover the pan and begin cooking your muffins. Each muffin will require about 4-6 minutes on each side, depending on your pan. Check it doesn't get too dark. Turn down the heat if it does.

Once both sides are cooked, insert an instant read thermometer into the muffins and check for 195F minimum.

Muffins are soft and tender on the inside, firm on the outside due to the AP flour. Cut with a serated knife.

Toast and serve. Store extras in an airtight container. Will last 3-5 days on the counter, or more than a week in the refrigerator.

First side in the covered frying pan.
20201230_130037.jpg

Ooops. Let these go 6 minutes and they were a bit too brown, but still tasty!
20201230_125502.jpg

Adapted the timing and got a better exterior.
20201230_130600.jpg

The nooks and crannies of these English muffins.
20201230_131343.jpg

Toasted and ready to butter and jelly.
20201230_131719.jpg

Last edited:
I am impressed!! Excellent job. Tracy loves English muffins, as do I. Looking like I may have the day off tomorrow so these may well wind up on the agenda. thanks so much for sharing.

Robert

Reactions: noboundaries
I am impressed!! Excellent job. Tracy loves English muffins, as do I. Looking like I may have the day off tomorrow so these may well wind up on the agenda. thanks so much for sharing.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. And you're welcome. I almost never baked a thing, except bread occasionally, and pizza. Now I can add EMs to my repertoire.

The price of tasty English muffins where I shop has gotten ridiculous, like 60-70 cents per muffin. There are cheaper muffins, at 30 cents per, but they are meh.

The price of muffins encouraged me to try making my own. My first attempt with a different recipe was a friggin' disaster, making six of the densest bricks I've ever tasted. My wife wouldn't eat them. I ate every one of those six muffin monsters.

Then comes today and a different recipe. I just made 12 incredibly light, tender, cranny-filled mega-muffins for less than $1. My wife just came downstairs from working and raved about the one I toasted, buttered, and gave her.

First, let me apologize that I didn't think of taking pics until I'd started fry baking the muffins. I didn't want to document another disaster. Now, I wish I had taken pics. I will next time, unless one of you want to give them a shot and beat me to it.

Here''s the recipe I adapted off the Internet.

ENGLISH MUFFINS

Recipe adapted from The Kitchn
Online Author: Buttertooth

Ray's notes: I made this recipe with King Arthur AP flour. Result was light, tender, cranny-filled English muffins. Tastes like Thomas EM but at fraction of the cost. Sooooo easy to make. I also made a few changes. Two tricks: work dough with wet hands, and use semolina like you would on pizza dough.

I did not cold ferment the dough in the fridge and these muffins were still full of nooks and crannies. A cold ferment will give the dough a light sourdough flavor.

Next batch, try King Arthur bread flour to see the difference. Suspect it will be a firmer muffin.

INGREDIENTS
For the poolish:
¾ cup King Arthur AP flour
½ cup water
½ teaspoon active dry yeast

For the English muffin dough:
1 cup milk, whole or 2%, warmed to 100F.
1 teaspoon active dry or instant yeast
2 tablespoons honey or granulated sugar.
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups King Arthur AP flour
Semolina for dusting

INSTRUCTIONS
Make the poolish the night before mixing the rest of the ingredients. Mix the flour, water, and yeast together in a 2-3 cup bowl until glossy. Cover and allow to sit on the counter for 8-12 hours before continuing to the next step. Poolish should be bubbly before proceeding.

When ready to start fry baking, mix the salt and flour in a bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, combine the warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Check for small bubbles after a few minutes to ensure yeast is alive. It will not get foamy like it does in water.

Incorporate the poolish with a spoon, spatula, or whisk. It melts into the milk. Mixture will be frothy.

Add the beaten egg to the mixing bowl and incorporate with a whisk.

Slowly add the flour/salt and mix with the dough hook until a shaggy dough forms. Scrap the sides as necessary.

Using the hook attachment of your mixer, knead the dough on medium until it comes together as a shiny, smooth ball—about 7-8 minutes. If the ball is still clinging to the sides of the bowl, increase the speed to medium high until the gluten develops, the dough ball forms, and the dough no longer sticks to the sides. Another 2-3 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap, and let rise until doubled in size, about two hours. Alternatively, you can allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator overnight (and up to 3 days). Longer resting times means a more developed flavor.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface and divide into 12 equal pieces using a dough scraper. Shape into smooth balls with wet fingers.

Dust a baking sheet with semolina and place muffins there for an additional rise until doubled in size, 1-2 hours. Dust the top of each muffin with semolina.

Prep a metal spatula with semolina. Place a little pile of semolina next to each dough ball.

Warm a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Throw some semolina into the pan.

Quickly slide the spatula under a dough bal and transfer it to the warm pan, flipping the ball upside down. Fix any mishapes with the spatula.

Sprinkle more semolina on each muffin. Cover the pan and begin cooking your muffins. Each muffin will require about 4-6 minutes on each side, depending on your pan. Check it doesn't get too dark. Turn down the heat if it does.

Once both sides are cooked, insert an instant read thermometer into the balls and check for 195F minimum.

Muffins are soft and tender on the inside, firm on the outside due to the AP flour. Cut with a serated knife.

Toast and serve. Store extras in an airtight container. Will last 3-5 days on the counter, or more than a week in the refrigerator.

First side in the covered frying pan.
View attachment 477735

Ooops. Let these go 6 minutes and they were a bit too brown, but still tasty!
View attachment 477736

Adapted the timing and got a better exterior.
View attachment 477737

The nooks and crannies of these English muffins.
View attachment 477738

Toasted and ready to butter and jelly.
View attachment 477739
We make homemade English muffins also. Okay, I shouldn’t say, “we” my wife makes English muffins!
Homemade makes everything better! Your muffins looks great!

Thank you, Justin. To me, English muffins were always one of those products that seemed beyond the reaches of the home baker. Nope! Glad to hear your wife keeps you muffined.

My wife got me some muffin rings following my disaster. Didn't use them today, but will on my next batch.

Mighty fine job well done. I think you are more than beginner or did you just get lucky?

... My first attempt with a different recipe was a friggin' disaster, making six of the densest bricks I've ever tasted. My wife wouldn't eat them. I ate every one of those six muffin monsters.
There's the motivation to improve.
I, too eat my failures as a reminder to get better

The muffins look absolutely delicious! I love English muffins as well and made 5 butches of them during last three months... Every time I used different recipes because I wasn't satisfied with the final result - muffins were tough and I didn't like the texture.... I'll try your recipe for my next butch for sure...

Mighty fine job well done. I think you are more than beginner or did you just get lucky?
Thank you.

Well, it was only my second batch ever, but I have developed a bit of instinct from making pizza doughs and breads. Four examples in the above recipe are using AP instead of bread flour, the stand mixer instructions, covering the pan when fry-baking the muffins, and the addition of semolina.

AP flour has less gluten. I followed the recipe''s instructions "to mix 7-8 minutes until a shiny ball forms." I did that and had a sticky, gluey dough. Instinct kicked in and I cranked up the mixer speed to med-high to develop the gluten and it worked.

Covering the pan when fry-baking, not something I did on my disaster batch, just made sense to me. It really worked nicely.

The original instuctions had no mention of semolina, and it fry-baked in butter. My disaster fry-baked with butter. What a burned mess unless you wiped the pan after each batch. Using semolina made the dough easier to handle and fry-bake. It added to the crunch, too!

There's the motivation to improve.
I, too eat my failures as a reminder to get better
Yep. Nothing better than a disaster to analyze what went wrong.

The muffins look absolutely delicious! I love English muffins as well and made 5 butches of them during last three months... Every time I used different recipes because I wasn't satisfied with the final result - muffins were tough and I didn't like the texture.... I'll try your recipe for my next butch for sure...

Thank you. I thought about trying bread flour the next time, even put it in the recipe. My wife said don't change a thing. I did use King Arthur AP flour, which is 11.7% protein. That's more protein than a lot of AP flours that can be as low as 10%. I have King Arthur bread flour in the cabinet but knew the KA AP would probably give a lighter result. Boy, did it ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
EM's look great Ray. Excellent work. Love EM's, never tried to make before. We've been using Ray's instead of Thomas' from the grocery store lately. Happy New Year!

The muffins look great. We make them all the time too, but we use the flat top, dusted with cornmeal. We don’t cover them either. That way you can cook the whole batch at once.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky