Mahogany wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Years ago I was given several bags of Mahogany chips that I used on the Weber . I don't see any mention on this forum about it's use so I wanted to share the info. It has a very tasty smoke flavor so if you can get your hands on some give it a try. There is a Meatshop in Bishop California that only uses it for their product and they do sell the chips but they are pricey. Best bet is to go to the mountains and find some fallen branches and bring them home .

Are you sure you don't mean Manzanita wood?

Mahogany sawdust is potentially harmful and taste bad. It has some carcinogenic properties.

And as far as I know the only place where actual Mahogany grows in the U.S. is Florida.

Manzanita on the other hand taste good, is safe, grows all through the Western regions of the U.S. and is regularly sold for BBQ/smoking.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Sorry I will sit in the timeout chair for the rest of the day ! Anyhow you can purchase the chips from the place in Bishop and see for yourself just how good these are..

I've worked with enough mahogany to know you'd be poisoning yourself if you used it in the smoker.

Ipe smoked brisket anyone?

Reactions: zwiller
You don't have to sit in chair my friend. Have family who uses what they call mahogany (which as hili stated is mountain and not a true mahogany, but a hard wood of some type) for bbqing. They are in eastern Nevada where between them and cotton wood is about all you can q with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky