Maggi Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sack1971

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Grey Eagle, MN
I am expecting my Cosori 10 tray dehydrator to arrive Thursday. I am so ready to get going. Any body here using a product called Maggi Seasoning? Its a liquid seasoning similar to soy, except it uses wheat.

Any body here using a product called Maggi Seasoning? Its a liquid seasoning similar to soy, except it uses wheat.
Soy uses wheat. Most soy sauces are fermented using a ~50/50 mix of wheat and soy.
Tamari uses soy exclusively (which is how it's gluten free).

Have you tried it before to know what it tastes like? What are you trying to accomplish with the Maggi?

It's closer to Worcestershire than it is to soy sauce, IMO. First time I had it was when I was in Switzerland years ago. Thought it was soy sauce, put it on a LOT of my meal. I was... less than excited after I started eating. So, if you're interested in using it, I'd try some first, if you haven't.

Making jerky marinades aren't really much more complex than making any other marinade, outside of the addition of cure.

Since (if I recall correctly) this is your first time making jerky, I wouldn't use seasonings/spices you've never used before. If you wouldn't put a cup of garlic powder in a marinade you'd use to cook a steak, I wouldn't use a cup of garlic powder in jerky marinade. If you've never used a certain seasoning before, I wouldn't be inclined to use it for the first time in your first batch of jerky either.

Get the process down first with a simple proven recipe, then mess around with flavours once you get the basics dialed in.

Last edited:
Maggi seasoning isn't a soy sauce. I use it in beef gravies, soups, and stew. A little of this stuff goes a long way. We just used it last night in Frikadellen. I see no reason not to use it in jerky.

Maggi seasoning isn't a soy sauce. I use it in beef gravies, soups, and stew. A little of this stuff goes a long way. We just used it last night in Frikadellen. I see no reason not to use it in jerky.
Given previous Caesar/Bloody Mary conversations, now I kind of want to try using it in my next mix... 🤔

Soy uses wheat. Most soy sauces are fermented using a ~50/50 mix of wheat and soy.
Tamari uses soy exclusively (which is how it's gluten free).

Have you tried it before to know what it tastes like? What are you trying to accomplish with the Maggi?

It's closer to Worcestershire than it is to soy sauce, IMO. First time I had it was when I was in Switzerland years ago. Thought it was soy sauce, put it on a LOT of my meal. I was... less than excited after I started eating. So, if you're interested in using it, I'd try some first, if you haven't.

Making jerky marinades aren't really much more complex than making any other marinade, outside of the addition of cure.

Since (if I recall correctly) this is your first time making jerky, I wouldn't use seasonings/spices you've never used before. If you wouldn't put a cup of garlic powder in a marinade you'd use to cook a steak, I wouldn't use a cup of garlic powder in jerky marinade. If you've never used a certain seasoning before, I wouldn't be inclined to use it for the first time in your first batch of jerky either.

Get the process down first with a simple proven recipe, then mess around with flavours once you get the basics dialed in.
I used Maggi when I lived in Austria. We moved to the US in 1981. I was 10. Mom served it in soups, which always tasted (and still do), very savory. I ordered the german version of Maggi called Maggi Wurze. Not cheap but superior to soy in the flavor department. Unless you tried it, its hard to explain. I see how this rabbit hole of jerky can take a hold of you. The possibilities... But I will start with small batches and see what works and doesn't. Taken notes and measurements! Where is that damn UPS driver lol.

Reactions: Steve H
I used Maggi when I lived in Austria. We moved to the US in 1981. I was 10. Mom served it in soups, which always tasted (and still do), very savory.
Yeah, if you've used it before I see no reason not to. It's a good flavour. I might try it in my next batch and kick out the wooster sauce.
I see how this rabbit hole of jerky can take a hold of you.
lol that's just the start, don't you worry...

There are At Least two versions of Maggi sauce. There is the European version as Sack mentioned (Maggi Wurse) and the Asian version which is very much like soy sauce. The European version seems to be hard to find in the U.S. and I haven't found it and tried it yet.
Whoever likes one version often seems to dislike the other version.

Frikadellen
Now that's something I haven't seen in quite a while! Many years ago I'd eat a whole plate of them. Makes since that Maggi would work. Some places has it on the table.

Back when I first got into Amazon I went through a foodie phase ordering a bunch of stuff I could never find in the store and amongst them was Maggi. I wanted it to be magic in the worst way. Nope. I think some msg/Accent in a traditional jerky brine would do better and some cure as well. That said, for jerky, Owens mixes for me. No other way. Shockingly good and total pro results.

https://www.owensbbq.com/collections/jerky-mixes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky