Made the first pass with the tiller yesterday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
Tilled up a 16x24 area for my garden. Spread a few bags of Miracle Gro stuff on it. It has manure, peat moss, and plant food in it.

Went to make a second pass on it just a minute ago, and the pull rope broke :( Bad thing is it's my neighbor's tiller. Guess I will ask him where I can buy a new rope for it and change it out. All of my seedlings look good too.

Get her done Chris,

Go grab a shovel and turn that dirt over, then rake it real hard and chop up the big pieces with a hoe.  We don't need no stinken Tiller!  BTW did you spray the grass with Round Up a couple of weeks before tilling?

Negative on the Round Up. Not much grass there anyway. I had a garden in one corner of it last year. I just made it bigger this year. I'm not using a shovel, lol. I don't even have a shovel, or a hoe. I have a little garden spade though.

We had ours tilled up last fall and will do it again when the weather stops snowing and raining.  I am going to put a load of cow manure on it before tilling again.

Sounds like a great start.
icon14.gif

Got it done. I replaced the rope and made two more passes last Saturday. I got all my plants in the ground yesterday. Well, the ones I had room for. I guess next year the whole backyard will be a garden. I only got to put in about half the plants I started inside.

Sounds like a great garden. What all are you planting? Down here in Florida our gardening season is just about to end. We have a couple of months left, but after June 1st it just gets too hot to grow vegetables. We've had peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, & a bunch of herbs.

Pots? No way. My dog would probably knock them over right off the bat. I had to put some "garden fence" around my garden. I bought that 18"x10' white fencing st Wal-Mart and put around it. I keep him in the house, but when he goes out back to do his thing, let's hope there are no cats in the back yeard. He hates them. I have three neighbors that have cats, that they leave outside. They are always in the alley, and do come into my yard when the dog is inside. He went thru the privacy fence between my yard and the one neighbor's yard a couple of weeks ago. I replaced those two boards he knocked out.

Al, I have Roma tomoto plants, jalapeno peppers, TAM jalapeno peppers, Anaheim peppers, bell peppers, sweet banana peppers, and yellow straightneck squash.

Little jealous with all the garden talk.  Where I live I can't get anything in the ground until usually June 1st sometimes late May but if we get low temps the frost can kill everything that has sprouted.  Nothing worse than planting everything and then replanting everything!! 

My first garden I planted two weeks too early. Tilled up a 20'x30' area. Had a ton of stuff planted. Had a freak snow in April and lost everything in there. That was a different house than where I am now. I wish I had the backyard that house had.

My first garden I planted two weeks too early. Tilled up a 20'x30' area. Had a ton of stuff planted. Had a freak snow in April and lost everything in there. That was a different house than where I am now. I wish I had the backyard that house had.

A freak snow in April, I wish!!  We expect snow in April and have freak snow in June. 

LOL. We get snow every few years- in Jan or Feb usually.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great garden. What all are you planting? Down here in Florida our gardening season is just about to end. We have a couple of months left, but after June 1st it just gets too hot to grow vegetables. We've had peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, & a bunch of herbs.

North Central Florida is still going strong. Starting to pick tomatoes on some plants, on others, not even blooms yet. Got Onions, turnips, broccoli, cukes and several types of peppers. Some Sugar Snap Peas (not sure they will make it thru the coming heat) and some Red Potatoes in a 55 gallon drum that are getting real close to being done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky