Saturday Brisket: 1st On The Cabinet Smoker (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Picked up a big prime whole packer at Costco a month and a half or so ago and been waiting for the right time to cook it up. Decided on this past Saturday to have a few friends over and enjoy a brisket feast. Did a little experiment on this one and it came out REALLY well. It was a 2-stage cook spread out over Friday and Saturday and turned out the most moist, juicy, and tender brisket I've ever cooked.

The brisket. It's pretty big at just under 20 pounds
01.jpg

Texas style: just salt and pepper
02.jpg

Onto the cabinet smoker about 8:00 Friday morning
03.jpg

4 hours in running 255. This is the only time I opened the smoker door the entire 9 hours of cooking
04.jpg

Mix up some beef gravy, beef broth, bourbon, salt, and pepper
05.jpg

After 9 hours on the smoker. Looking really good so far but nowhere close to being done
06.jpg

Put the brisket in a big roasting pan, cover with the gravy mixture, and into the fridge overnight with the lid on the pan
07.jpg

I took the brisket in the pan out to the patio about 7:30 Saturday morning, plugged it in, and got the temp dialed in right at 210. After several hours, I got some beans going
08.jpg

Made a Greek style salad with garden fresh zucchini and a bunch of other stuff. This was fantastic!!
09.jpg

At 3:00 in the afternoon the brisket is probing tender throughout. Please note all the liquid gold in the bottom of the pan. More on that in a minute :emoji_wink:
10.jpg

Time to wrap and put in the cooler for a couple hours
11.jpg

Jeff and Kandi brought a nice appetizer platter. Sadly all the folks tore into it while I was putting the finishing touches on the pool and before I could get a nice pic
12.jpg

Take all the liquid gold and some of the dark crumbles from the bottom of the pan, put it all in a bowl, and hit with the immersion blender. This is our "BBQ sauce" and it is pure beefy bliss in a liquid form
13.jpg

5:00 and time to slice this thing
14.jpg

WOW!! Once again the smoke ring eludes me but so juicy and so tender.
15.jpg

A little closer look
16.jpg

The whole spread. Not much here but it was more than enough. Add some pickles a la SmokinAl SmokinAl to round out the BBQ theme and we're ready to eat
17.jpg

As always, last through the chow line but I finally get my plate together and head to the patio
18.jpg

This was fantastic!! The brisket was melt-in-your-mouth tender. No way could I consider it "competition quality" because it'd never pass the bend test (and because no smoke ring) but more importantly, it was Tracy quality. The flavor was off the charts. It may have come from sitting overnight with the gravy concoction or maybe from the super low temp cook on Saturday in the roasting pan. Whatever it was, the end result was pure money. For the life of me though, I cannot figure out why I can't get a smoke ring with that smoker. It is set up exactly like the last 6 or 7 smokers I've had and always got that smoke ring with them, but not this one. I know it doesn't bring anything to the table as far as flavor but it sure adds to the visual appeal. Oh well, I'll do a couple more experiments, maybe even install some deflector plates inside but have pretty much resigned myself that it's just not gonna happen. It's OK though because that rig turns out some super fine Q and is a dream to cook on.

Well, sure hope everybody had / is having a great holiday weekend. the past couple weeks have been insane with work so I'm just enjoying a couple low key days to wind down.....and down a few margaritas :emoji_laughing:Y'all take care and keep those amazing meals coming!!

Robert

Freak'in fantastic looking meal Robert.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: ConrodM
Bro-You Nailed it!! Killer looking bark too
255@ 9 hrs
Counter rest before fridge? Down to what temp before fridge?
Counter rest for how long before 210 degrees?
Ran 210 until done?
Thanks

Wow Robert! That barks looks great and the moisture is perfection! Only thing missing was my plate of it :emoji_laughing:

Looks incredible Robert! Man, I want to be your neighbor!!!! That brisket looks perfect to me and I am going to try that sauce! Amazing! I’m not a smoke ring snob in anyway, but maybe try a AMAZN pellet tube? That’s the only way I’ve pulled one off in my pellet pooper. Points for sure!

Holy cow! That looks good! Hit that one out of the park! That beef gravy is a great idea. And that bark….wow! Forget the smoke ring. I’ll have a plate of that any day!

Wow! Your posts are the best. The picture journeys are what I look forward to seeing. And I love the idea about your BBQ sauce. Beefy is a great way to showcase the brisket since that’s what it is.

Bro-You Nailed it!! Killer looking bark too
Thank you!!
255@ 9 hrs
That is correct.
Counter rest before fridge? Down to what temp before fridge?
I have no idea. Didn't pay any attention because it really didn't matter. I let it sit a while watching a bit of TV so it'd cool down and not put the fridge into cardiac arrest with a heat overload.
Counter rest for how long before 210 degrees?
Huh? It's not gonna hit 210 sitting on the counter :emoji_wink: If I'm misunderstanding the question, there was no counter rest before taking it outside and plugging the roasting pan in. Straight from fridge to heat. I had all day so there was no hurry.
Ran 210 until done?
Correct.

Robert

Wow Robert! That barks looks great and the moisture is perfection! Only thing missing was my plate of it
Appreciate it Matt. I have no idea what happened to your invite. Must have gotten lost in the mail :emoji_laughing: Next time I'll make sure to send it certified to ensure delivery. There's plenty left though so come on down!!
Looks incredible Robert! Man, I want to be your neighbor!!!! That brisket looks perfect to me and I am going to try that sauce! Amazing! I’m not a smoke ring snob in anyway, but maybe try a AMAZN pellet tube? That’s the only way I’ve pulled one off in my pellet pooper. Points for sure!
Thank you Jed. TX is a pretty big lace so lots of room. You'd be a welcome addition to the neighborhood. I've never had any success adding a tube into a hot smoker. for some reason it just never seems to workout for me. As for the pellet pooper, that's odd. I've always gotten an incredible smoke ring with the Rec Tec. Not quite the depth of smokiness we want, but an amazing presentation.
That’s how it’s done! Fantastic brisket and meal Robert.
Thanks so much Eric, and thanks a million for the info!! You have me on a quest now :emoji_wink: Gonna figure this thing out or waste a few chords of wood in the process.

Robert

Reactions: schlotz and bauchjw
Awesome looking brisket, i am very interested in the two stage cook process. Will have to work on that
Thanks so much. The 2-stage cook was a hopeful way to overcome the last brisket, which was pretty much a disaster. Tried to do a hot and fast cook in one day on a whole packer. Getting late and the brisket wasn't close to tender so jacked the temp up and torched the meat. This took the guess work out of timing and turned out a great brisket.
Yeah buddy! that looks great!
Thank you Dave. I thought it came out looking pretty good..unlike my last one that did not get posted. It was ugly :emoji_astonished:
Holy cow! That looks good! Hit that one out of the park! That beef gravy is a great idea. And that bark….wow! Forget the smoke ring. I’ll have a plate of that any day!
Very much appreciate it Justin. Both steps with the gravy really worked out well. I've done the mid-cook baste several times but the "sauce" at the end was a newer idea, and we love it!! Folks were refilling their little bowls and sopping it up with bread when they finished their plates.

Robert

Looks nice and tender. At least you did not miss out on that. Nice having friends to share with
Thanks Brian. Once again, sorry to hear about your friend moving away. Sucks to have them go. You and Gretchen are always welcome and I assure you, you'll be among friends. BTW, how is Gretchen? I've not heard any mention of her in a while.
Wow! Your posts are the best. The picture journeys are what I look forward to seeing. And I love the idea about your BBQ sauce. Beefy is a great way to showcase the brisket since that’s what it is.
Thank you do much Sven. I used to try and do a Cliff's Notes version of my cooks and would spend a ton of time filling in the blanks later as people asked questions. Some folks would not see the answers so missed out on part of the info. Chef Jimmy and I became good friends and he's the one that recommended that I try to cover all the bases in the first post to minimize the Q's later. I take lots of pics, sort through them, and keep the best ones to post here if the meal is worth posting. I am honored that you enjoy some of the material I share here. People like you are the motivation for others to try and do the best they can documenting a meal.

Robert

Robert first I have to admit to some Texas jealousy, prime brisket @ $3.99 / lbs!! At least $2 / lbs cheaper than us Ohioans can get it. Your end result is beautiful. Smoke rings have 0 impact on flavor. With that gravy added I’d lick a plate or two clean for sure.

Good grief, what a incredible piece of work Robert! Forget the smoke ring, tho you might want a couple more slices of that beautiful brisky on your plate, nice job! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky