First BLT of the growing season!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
O.M.G!! Soooooo Awesome! I LOVE BLTs!! I have been looking forward to this sandwich for months!

IMG_20230609_184825.jpg

Tomatoes should start coming in pretty good for the next couple of months. But had a tragedy in the garden bed yesterday morning when I when out to check on it. Afternoon before, we had one hell of a thunderstorm roll through with strong straight line winds. Blew my tomato plants over at a 45* angle. I use 1/2" rebar 8' long as stakes and florida weave the plants to the stakes. Anyways, broke two tomato vine stalks when I tried to upright them. My garden bed soil is so loamy, loose and deep now that the stakes can't stay upright even when pushed 3' in the ground. So will correct this by going to 10' stakes and putting wire supports angling down on each side of the stake attached to the garden bed frame. That ought to hold them up in the wind....

hope to pick all the tomatoes off the broke vine plants real soon. Hope I don't lose many....

Looks good. 10 ft stakes? Dang. Can't hardly get a stake in 2 ft here
Thanks! So my garden beds have been build up over the years with compost, biochar, leaf mould, and a lot of well broken down wood chips. I estimate I've built it up 14-16" above the grade in my yard. The first few years, the soil was loose about 12" down, so add 10-12" to that and that's where I am now. 1 foot in the sub soil just is not enough to hold the stakes up anymore....

Reactions: crazymoon
That is my absolute favorite with the first garden tomatoes. I don't even care the source of the bacon.
Sucks about losing some plants. I lost a couple due to winds last summer. I use weld wire rebar cages around the Romas.

First blts of the year are the best! Sadly we are not close to that time... but I sure can imagine!!!

Ryan

Looks delicious! BLTs are about my favorite! And garden-fresh tomatoes is the primary reason I put in a garden in the first place! Looks like I’m maybe a week to 10 days from having a bunch of ripe tomatoes.

I had a little storm blow through late this afternoon with some medium-high winds…looks like my tomato vines weathered the storm pretty well, but one possible casualty might be a jalapeño pepper plant that was blown over. I stood him back up and staked him…now I guess we’ll just have to see…

Red

Reactions: indaswamp
Oh Yeah! I wanting on our farmers market to get some. I have decided that they really are not to expensive after all after few failed attempts to grow.

There's nothing like a BLT with a homegrown tomato. Has a flavor all its own.

My plants are growing out of the top of 6 foot cages. They're loaded with tomatoes but a little late ripening this year. I usually plant my seed on Super Bowl Sunday, but this year I waited another week. Its telling now.

Reactions: zwiller
Looks great Keith,
Love BLt's and always better with you own ingredients, bacon , tomatoes etc.

I made a bunch of Monte Cristo's last night , but would have sooner had your BLT's

But up here we barely have the plants in the ground.
Old saying for us is , don't plant until the first full moon in June

David

Sounds great, I got a long ways to go. Couldn't get garden in until May 27th so things just getting a good start.

Looks delicious! BLTs are about my favorite! And garden-fresh tomatoes is the primary reason I put in a garden in the first place! Looks like I’m maybe a week to 10 days from having a bunch of ripe tomatoes.

I had a little storm blow through late this afternoon with some medium-high winds…looks like my tomato vines weathered the storm pretty well, but one possible casualty might be a jalapeño pepper plant that was blown over. I stood him back up and staked him…now I guess we’ll just have to see…

Red

Gotta love a good BLT. Home grown makes it even better.

Now I can't stop there. I add an egg over easy and avocado BLTEA.

Oh Yeah! I wanting on our farmers market to get some. I have decided that they really are not to expensive after all after few failed attempts to grow.

Looks great, don't overlook fried green maters

There's nothing like a BLT with a homegrown tomato. Has a flavor all its own.

My plants are growing out of the top of 6 foot cages. They're loaded with tomatoes but a little late ripening this year. I usually plant my seed on Super Bowl Sunday, but this year I waited another week. Its telling now.

Looks great Keith,
Love BLt's and always better with you own ingredients, bacon , tomatoes etc.

I made a bunch of Monte Cristo's last night , but would have sooner had your BLT's

But up here we barely have the plants in the ground.
Old saying for us is , don't plant until the first full moon in June

David

Sounds great, I got a long ways to go. Couldn't get garden in until May 27th so things just getting a good start.
Thanks guys!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Funny thing is, I planted 3 weeks early this year. We had so much unusually warm weather, I gambled. Tomato plants were doing great, then we got a freeze last day of winter. I had to cover my plants. It has been a challenge this season. Left for vacation and the army worms attacked my plants. I have never had a problem with army worms this bad. Still don't know how many tomatoes I will have lost from them.....

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky