Mad Hunky Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I usually make my own salmon brine but I got some Mad Hunky Dry Salmon Cure and it is easier to use a mix so I gave it try.

The product is easy to use. It comes with a pack of salmon cure spices and a curing salt. You mix 50 ml (3 tablespoons) of the spices with 25 ml (2 tablespoons) of the curing salt. You then use 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of the mixture per pound of salmon.

I mixed the spices and sprinkled it on a nice Sockeye fillet that weighed about 500 grams (1 pound).

Mad-Hunky-01-1024x384.jpg

I wrapped the salmon in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 36 hours.

I smoked it at 180 F to an internal temperature of 145 F. That took about 1 1/2 hours.

Mad-Hunky-02-300x225.jpg

Mad-Hunky-03-300x225.jpg

Mad Hunky 04.jpg

I did a video of this project:

The Verdict

The salmon was firm but not hard. The cure starts with a sweet taste but follows with onion and herbs. It isn't too salty, just right. I really liked this.

Disco

Beautiful Disco!
And Wow! What an appetizing plate!

So it looks like you dug out the smoker.... :emoji_dizzy_face::emoji_grinning:

Last edited by a moderator:
The product is easy to use. It comes with a pack of salmon cure spices and a curing salt. You mix 50 ml (3 tablespoons) of the spices with 25 ml (2 tablespoons) of the curing salt. You then use 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of the mixture per pound of salmon.

This brings up the question:
If you have a Product that calls for adding curing salt, can you keep any left over that is mixed?
Or just mix it in a batch and save it for when ready to use it?

Or does it degrade once mixed? (I suspect this is what it doesn't come premixed.)

I know, real rookie question. But one I've wondered about. :emoji_thinking:

Di you find it in Canada ?? Was there a problem at the boarder importing it??
You can order it from Canada but the shipping is steeper. I had it sent to some friends in Montana who were coming to visit.

Beautiful Disco!
And Wow! What an appetizing plate!

So it looks like you dug out the smoker.... :emoji_dizzy_face::emoji_grinning:

Mad Hunky Meats:
https://madhunkymeats.com/shop/
Sadly, I have had the pleasure of digging out the smoker several times. She Who Must Be Obeyed suggests I am a few fries short of a happy meal and a sane person would wait for spring to smoke. Fortunately, I am still not sane.

This brings up the question:
If you have a Product that calls for adding curing salt, can you keep any left over that is mixed?
Or just mix it in a batch and save it for when ready to use it?

Or does it degrade once mixed? (I suspect this is what it doesn't come premixed.)

I know, real rookie question. But one I've wondered about. :emoji_thinking:
Curing salts, if kept dry will last almost indefinitely. Curing mixes with herbs and seasonings will degrade over about six months. I personally would never keep any dried herbs longer. So, if you've mixed the two, I would suggest keeping the mixture for no more than six months.

Fine looking plate of salmon Disco. I like it paired with the vegetable melody. The Mad Hunky sounds like a tasty rub.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky