Machine oil burn off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leon1972

Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
hello! Just got my Traeger Pro 780. Question about burning off the machine oiL.
After about an hour it still smelt funny. Does that happen when it burns hot enough or is it still the machine oil?
I did the usual “seasoning” steps. 30 minute at 350 then 30 at 450. Still smelt after all that. How long does burn off usually take?
Thanks guys.

I'm late to the party but lownslow for a hour or 2 will put out some smoke to coat it more than likely

Set it at 450 and let it run for several hours... Since you did it once already, now spray the inside with veggie oil before cranking up the heat the second time to condition your new smoker......

Won’t I just be covering the remaining machine oil?
Won’t it have to burn off the veggie oil before it gets to the remainder of the machine oil?

Maybe a stupid question, but I’ve never conditioned a grill. Your saying just spray the grates or the whole interior?

hello! Just got my Traeger Pro 780. Question about burning off the machine oiL.
After about an hour it still smelt funny. Does that happen when it burns hot enough or is it still the machine oil?
I did the usual “seasoning” steps. 30 minute at 350 then 30 at 450. Still smelt after all that. How long does burn off usually take?
Thanks guys.

Leon1972, welcome to SMF... After an hour of running your grill on the high temp setting, the manufacturing oils should have burned off and your grill should be safe to use. The initial oil burn off and the “Seasoning” of your grill is a little different. You never described the type of funny smell You were smelling, but again after a good hour of running your grill at 400* degrees or the high temp setting on your Traeger, You should be fine with bbqing something simple like some Spares to help Season your grill. It takes a few cooks to Season your grill and “quite a few” to get it just right... If the oder You’re smelling now truly concerns you, then I would reach out to Traeger for their input.

From Traegers Owners Manual...
If I have any problems, or questions about how my Traeger is functioning, who can I contact? At Traeger, we are here to help 7 days a week between 5am and 7pm PT. You can call us toll free at (800) 872-3437 or visit us online at www.traegergrills.com to chat with one of our customer service representatives...

Good luck and post back what was Traeger’s response.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Leon1972, welcome to SMF... After an hour of running your grill on the high temp setting, the manufacturing oils should have burned off and your grill should be safe to use. The initial oil burn off and the “Seasoning” of your grill is a little different. You never described the type of funny smell You were smelling, but again after a good hour of running your grill at 400* degrees or the high temp setting on your Traeger, You should be fine with bbqing something simple like some Spares to help Season your grill. It takes a few cooks to Season your grill and “quite a few” to get it just right... If the oder You’re smelling now truly concerns you, then I would reach out to Traeger for their input.

From Traegers Owners Manual...
If I have any problems, or questions about how my Traeger is functioning, who can I contact? At Traeger, we are here to help 7 days a week between 5am and 7pm PT. You can call us toll free at (800) 872-3437 or visit us online at www.traegergrills.com to chat with one of our customer service representatives...

Good luck and post back what was Traeger’s response.

The smell reminds me of burning plastic.

The smell reminds me of burning plastic.

Burning Plastic... I don’t think that’s normal, could be for Traegers though. I never smelled anything like that from my PB Austin XL.. I would reach out to Traeger and let them tell You if that’s normal or not...

Burning Plastic... I don’t think that’s normal, could be for Traegers though. I never smelled anything like that from my PB Austin XL.. I would reach out to Traeger and let them tell You if that’s normal or not...

As much as I think it’s it plastic like I could be wrong. I have never smelt burning machine oil before. Lol.
And there was a LOT of the stuff! My kids could have made fingerpaintings on the thing! I think I might wash it with soap and water then put the tray back in and see what happens.

I had a similar smell when i first got my grill. Not sure that it was plastic but it was not a wood burning smell. I just let it go until the only thing i could smell was the wood. This took about 3.5 hours for me to feel comfortable. I started on the smoke, moved to 225 after 30 minutes i went to 350 and let it run for an hour. I then went to 450 for an hour then went back down for about 30 minutes each way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky