Macaroni & Six Smoked Cheese Croquette Stuffed with a Beef Brisket Burnt End

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jarjarchef

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 30, 2010
Central Florida
Nov/Dec 2012 "The Scarbelly Throwdown"

Mac & Smoked Cheese

2 Tbl                        Butter

1 ea                         Small Onion Fine Diced

1 Tbl                        Chopped Garlic

½ c                          Flour

6 c                           Milk

4 oz                         6 ea different cheeses smoked and shredded

(Monterrey Jack, Mozzarella, Swiss, Mild Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar and Extra Sharp Cheddar)

Here is the link for the cheese smoke (First Cheese Smoke).

1 Lb                        Raw Elbow Macaroni

In a large pot bring enough salted water to boil to cook the elbow macaroni. I prefer to cook my noodles to soft when making mac & cheese. For me, it seems to suck up less moisture and help keep it creamy. Drain and set aside.

In the same pot add the butter, onion and garlic. Saute on medium heat until light golden brown. Add the flour and continue to mix and cook until the flour starts to turn color. Add the milk and mix until smooth. Bring to a simmer to allow the sauce to thicken. Simmer for 10 minutes to cook the flour taste out of the sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses until smooth. Add the pasta back into the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste.

If making a casserole place into dish and top with some shredded cheese and bake at 375 till top is golden brown (20-30 min).

If making croquettes, spread the cheese and pasta mixture out on to cookie sheets and cool in the fridge. Directions Below....

Sauteing the onions and garlic......

Added the milk and thickening.....

After adding the cheese.....

All mixed up......

Croquette Assembly

For my Burt Ends I used this Brisket Cook.

You will need the following for the Croquettes:

2 Qt                         Vegetable Oil (Preheated to 350 degrees)

5 ea                         Whole Eggs

2 c                           All Purpose Flour

2 c                           Panko Bread Crumbs

5 c                           Mac & Smoked Cheese (Cold)

20 ea                       Burnt End Cubes (Cold)

Place 1/4c of the mac & cheese into the palm of your hand. Spread it out.....

Place the burnt end cube in the center.... (you can use pulled pork in place of the burnt end)

Form the mac & cheese into a ball around the burnt end cube..... a little larger than a golf ball is the size you are looking for....

When done making all of the mac & cheese balls. Place them into the freezer for about 30 minutes to set the cheese. It will make it a lot easier to handle for the next steps.

While the mac & cheese balls are chilling in the freezer. Set up your breading station: seasoned flour (salt, pepper, onion and garlic), egg wash (3 parts egg and 1 part water) and bread crumbs.

Coat with flour........ (keeps the breading on the mac & cheese balls)

Give a bath in the egg wash by rolling it around to ensure it is completely covered....... ( I will let it stay in here for a minute, to allow the egg to soak into the flour)

Coat with the bread crumbs.... then place onto a sheet pan. I will place the pan with the croquettes in the fridge to allow them to re-chill while the oil is getting hot....

So your oil is up to temp.....

Carefully lower the croquettes into the oil, so they do not splash hot oil onto your hands or face..... I use a slotted spoon...

Fry until they are a golden brown.... if your croquettes are too big they may need to finish off in a 375 degree oven for a few minutes...

For a great dipping sauce I take some of the Aus Jus from the Brisket Cook and mix it with a little sweet BBQ sauce and serve on the side.

I have taken some of the croquettes and froze them for later use. I will fry them from a frozen state, but the oil will be a lower temp of 325 degrees.

I frequently have Leftover Mac n' Chz. This will be a nice change, once I get Brisket nailed. Nice Job and Congrats...JJ

That is Awesome Jeramy!!! I've been waiting a long time for this recipe, ever since I saw the TD entries! This was definitely my favorite if you know what I mean! I have to try this, seems like you could use almost any meat. I have a bunch of ham leftover from Xmas I was going to use in some mac-n-cheese but I think i am going to try this instead!!

Thanks for your inventiveness!!!

Jeramy, I forgot something, did you bread and then freeze without frying to fry later? I love to stuff my freezer so I want to get it right.

Thanks!

That is Awesome Jeramy!!! I've been waiting a long time for this recipe, ever since I saw the TD entries! This was definitely my favorite if you know what I mean! I have to try this, seems like you could use almost any meat. I have a bunch of ham leftover from Xmas I was going to use in some mac-n-cheese but I think i am going to try this instead!!

Thanks for your inventiveness!!!
x2 I rally think a good chunk of Smoked Ham in there, a slice of Jalapeno, Mac and Cheese Reverse Fattie!!! Oh there's another idea sausage meatball covered in Mac!

Nice step by step.  My family loves mac n cheese.  It's going on my list of things to try soon.  Thanks for posting.

Jeramy, I forgot something, did you bread and then freeze without frying to fry later? I love to stuff my freezer so I want to get it right.
Thanks!

Yes, I froze without frying. I am sure you could fry for a short time to set the breading and then reheat in the oven later.

I will keep you posted on how the frozen one work out when I do those.

Thank you all for the kind words. I do not recall exactly what got me going in this direction. But I worked all out in my head as I spoke with a friend on the phone. You can put almost anything you want in the middle. I would suggest making sure it was precooked. The Latin culture has something around here that has ground beef and peas wrapped with mashed potatoes. They bread with different type of bread crumbs.... They are very good, but usually the size of a baseball....

Thank you I had fun with this one........

Congrats!......... looks really delicious.......
first.gif

Jar jar. Omg. These look great!!   I have to try these!  I just finished eating my first prime rib and saw these on your posts.  Wow. Now I'm hungry again. LoLoll these are next on my wish list.  

Thanks for sharing. 

Jar jar. Omg. These look great!!   I have to try these!  I just finished eating my first prime rib and saw these on your posts.  Wow. Now I'm hungry again. LoLoll these are next on my wish list.  

Thanks for sharing. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky