M7's build thread. Reverse Flow trailer mounted with storage compartments.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mtmseven

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Austin, Texas
I've just signed up for the forum - feel free to say hi on the welcome board.

Here's my project:

• approx 200 gallon smoker

• 2 6' utility truck bedsides to act as cutting boards and storage

• independent torsion axles with adjustable spindles to get ride height correct.

• custom adjustable trailer coupler to adapt to different tow vehicles

• more to come I'm sure but that's about how far I am at this point.

Here come the pics. (everybody loves those)

Chamber as it arrived:

Brainstorming the bedside placement

End cap lopped off - there will be a warmer box above the fire box.

Torsion axles fresh off the UPS truck

Axle width testing

more testing of placement

frame finding it's new home.   4" square tubing. (a little too beefy but the 24' link was free!)

axle in place(ish)

boxes getting squared up and tested

skipped a few steps here... boxem mounted, frame capped and adjustable hitch created and tacked on.

1st test pull after I stitched the frame and hitch together.

Wheel width is almost the same as the Mule. - much less than a full size truck.

Building my wood storage area

Floor in place, cardboard side on there to simulate sheetmetal.

this is where it sits tonight - more work to be done tomorrow. 

My current challenge is learning how to cut the doors , mount hinges and add strap to seal the doors without warping.   I'll poke around for help from other builds but if someone has a stickie that they've saved then please post it here to I can find the answers faster.

Thanks!

-M7

M7, evening and welcome to the forum....  Check Ribwizzards posts about "stringers" to keep the door from "returning to a flatter state"....    Cutting can be done with a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder or plasma torch...  Partially cut the door and weld on the hinges....  Notch the door with a grinder and weld on the seals from the inside.....  just tack type welds..... reduces the door warping....  blind welds if that makes sense....   You can use thick or thin metal for the seal, I prefer 14-16 ga....    then I can shape it with a hammer to fit the curve if necessary....  Building a smoker is a big job and thinking outside the box is important as some rules don't apply....     

Dave

@DaveOmak - yep, I understand - I'll add some stringers in the inside after the doors are cut to keep them from straightening out. - I found some big 'ol chain to use as hinges so long as I can get it to clear the seals. Next weekend I'll be giving that a shot.

@RibWizzard - the tops of the boxes will be a little taller than counter height in a kitchen.  I can stand at it and touch the back of the CC without leaning too far.  If it ends up being too tall, I'll put on smaller tires and lower the spindles on the axles (they're adjustable).   As for a canopy, I've considered umbrellas that will break down and fit in the compartments. I can zap on some pipe to slip them into pretty easily.

I welded in the front sheetmetal and installed the swivel jack this weekend.   The jack just about killed me because I did it after the sides were on; that was a mistake. :(  pretty much had to weld while standing on my head.

Also, I found some drive chain from a motor grader to use as door hinges.   I'll see if I can make that work next weekend.

How far in can I recess the firebox into the cooking chamber on a reverse flow?  I want to have as little hanging off the back as possible so recessing the fire box into the chamber seems to be one easy way to do that.

Also, is the FR plate generally positioned at 1/3 or just below half or where?

The further in you go, the more you will have to engineer out a hot spot at the beginning of the reverse flow plate. Generally you don't see them much further in than where the edge of the cooking chamber door or cooking grate would be.  I extended the firebox way in on #19 and the beginning of the reverse flow plate got so hot that the burning off of the grease drippings overwhelmed the flavor of the food. I had to install a baffle plate to redirect the heat away from the reverse flow plate and redesign the entire reverse flow plate.

Nice looking build.
popcorn.gif

Happy smoken.

David

Doors!!  And my tiny hinges. 

I added the lid gussets before vertical cuts were made.  Not fun laying in the tube and welding above your head but its done and the doors didn't try to straighten out on me.  Thanks to RibWizzard for the tip.

Next I'll add the edge banding to seal 'em up and cover any unsightly cuts.

Projects move slowly when you only get one day a week to work on 'em.....

-M7

HOLY CR@P.....  I did not realize the chain was THAT BIG !!!.....   Cool..... I like it.... 

Dave

Last edited:
Those stringers were tight when welded in but once I opened the doors, they became MUCH tighter - like tapping a drum.  My guess is that the doors would have straightened out a bit without them.  *wshew*

Finally got some time to work on my smoker this week.  Was able to add the door edges.  Things went 'OK'.  Not sure if I'm satisfied or not.

The stringers worked 90% to keep the doors from straightening but I still ended up with a gap at the bottom - can likely overcome it with weatherstrip. 

My hinges didn't lift enough at the top to allow edges to be welded to the door - so I welded them to the chamber instead.  I kinda like the result - it acts as a rain guard at the top and can be sealed on the bottom side. 

The handles are temporary.  Don't harass me too much about how crooked they are ;)

Only took one photo.  Here it is:

Last edited:
Man !   That is going to be one of the neatest smokers I've seen in a long time. Love the boxes and the chain hinges. Can't wait to see more  Good Job

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky