Lump, Chips, etc...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Will Squared

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
I ran my first cook (560) with Royal Oak Charcoal Lump because that was what I had nearby. The 8.8 lb bag was $9.89. I will get maybe 6 more hours out of that bag so I started searching.

I watched a video comparison of lump...

His favorite was B&B so I searched that.
I found 20 lb bags at Amazon for $33.75. free shipping.
But I found the same 20 lb bags of B&B at Ace Hardware for $16.99 . free pickup at the store.
Plus a 15% discount on account I am such a value customer !

Here is another comparison between B&B and Royal Oak.

What are you folks using and where are you getting it?

I went through a small bag of chips on a 6 hour cook so I will be looking at local sources of fruit and nut woods for my chips to be more economical.

Last edited:
I ran my first cook (560) with Royal Oak Charcoal Lump because that was what I had nearby. The 8.8 lb bag was $19.89. I will get maybe 6 more hours out of that bag so I started searching.

I watched a video comparison of lump...

His favorite was B&B so I searched that.
I found 20 lb bags at Amazon for $33.75. free shipping.
But I found the same 20 lb bags of B&B at Ace Hardware for $16.99 . free pickup at the store.
Plus a 15% discount on account I am such a value customer !

Here is another comparison between B&B and Royal Oak.

What are you folks using and where are you getting it?

I went through a small bag of chips on a 6 hour cook so I will be looking at local sources of fruit and nut woods for my chips to be more economical.

I LOVE B&B Texas Style Oak Lump!! It’s all I use in my smoker anymore. Burns hot , long and clean. I buy mine at Ace Hardware too. Back around Christmas Ace had a printable 50% off one item up to $35 coupon. I printed a stack and went on a tour of stores LOL. Still have like 4 bags left.

I like B&B charcoal very much. It has become my go-to fuel...I use both their lump (which I burn in my Weber Kettle) and their briquettes (which I burn in my Gravity feed smoker). Always burns long and consistent. And I buy mine at Academy Sports and Outdoors - 20 lb. bag of lump is $12.99. I know that you can't find Academy stores everywhere, but if you have one nearby, check 'em out.

Red

I don't think I have ever even seen a bag of B&B charcoal here in Florida.
I don't use much charcoal anyway, mostly wood splits.
Al

Reactions: Will Squared
I have been using royal oak in my 560 since I got it. It’s readily available here in Southern California. I get a 15 pound bag for $9 at Walmart. All of the Walmart’s around me sell Royal Oak. I’ve been wanting to try B&B but I’ve never seen it in any of the stores around me. I actually like royal oak. I’m not too worried about consistency as the controller on the 560 regulates the temps. For an offset or barrel smoker, I could see the consistency being a concern.

Last edited:
I like B&B charcoal very much. It has become my go-to fuel...I use both their lump (which I burn in my Weber Kettle) and their briquettes (which I burn in my Gravity feed smoker). Always burns long and consistent. And I buy mine at Academy Sports and Outdoors - 20 lb. bag of lump is $12.99. I know that you can't find Academy stores everywhere, but if you have one nearby, check 'em out.

Red
I just went to the Acadamy web site and the prices were real good with free shipping over $25 but they will not ship to CA. Oh well...

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
Cowboy Southern Style lump from Lowes has been decent and cheap too. Western brand from Walmart is very cheap and burns fine, but the size of the coals is very inconsistent. Lots of small stuff with occasional huge chunks that were too large to fit in the starter chimney.

I just went to the Acadamy web site and the prices were real good with free shipping over $25 but they will not ship to CA. Oh well...

Huh...wonder why they won't ship anywhere in the Continental US?? That's weird! Sorry to hear that...it'd be nice to get it shipped free right to your house.

Red

Huh...wonder why they won't ship anywhere in the Continental US?? That's weird! Sorry to hear that...it'd be nice to get it shipped free right to your house.

Red
Something to do with EPA regulations. They ship most everywhere else and that is a killer price. B&B lump has consistent size lumps. No logs or too much dust and gravel.

Something to do with EPA regulations. They ship most everywhere else and that is a killer price. B&B lump has consistent size lumps. No logs or too much dust and gravel.

Aah, yeah...that's probably it. I'm sure California's environmental regulations are a lot more strict than any other state.

Red

I think if I had problems sourcing wood and could get Kingsford hickory charcoal at a decent price I would use it. If I manage to get 1 of these I might try a bag, its high but wood also runs the cost of cooking up also. another benefit is you will have flavor added from start to finish.

I ran my second cook last night and it went 16 hours... longer than I expected.

ran out of lump.
I had been mixing briquettes with the lump because I knew it was going to be long.

Ran out of lumps and briqs and was scrounging by flashlight in back shed to find anything...
Lucked out and found and old Kingsford 20lb bag unopened ! Don't know how old.

but it got me through the burn.

You could probably throw anything through this 560 !

Prepping for a party tomorrow and had to run for charcoal.
Got a great deal at the local Shop & Save.
They had 40 lb bags of mesquite lump for $16.99... $14.54 if you bought 4. They only had two bags and one had a hole in it. They bumped the price for the hole down $2 and I took both bags.
Also a Two Pack of 2- 20 lb bags of Kingsford charcoal for $23.99.

The Produce Guy there told me they would be having lots of marked down bananas in a few days... $.30 a lb !
I might smoke me some more 'naners !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky