Lost a Dear Friend and Family Member.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Last Friday night one of my 3 boys, the youngest Beagle Brother, Buck, broke his harness and ran into the street. He was hit by a passing car as my Wife Beverly, was trying to call him back. The Driver saw Buck and swerved but still hit him. We nursed Buck over the weekend and took him to a Vet last Monday. The Vet could not take X rays, but gave Buck a thorough exam and found nothing broken just a strained tendon in Bucks leg, that had bruising and some road rash. Each day Buck seemed to get better. He started eating and drinking. By midweek, Buck would walk to the door with his brothers to go outside. Bucks rowdy and playful attitude was the only thing missing and we assumed he just needed time to heel. Last night Buck went outside with his brothers before bed. He came in , had a drink of water and laid down in his favorite spot on the floor where we made a bed of blankets and pillow for him. This morning Bev woke to the boys wanting to go out. The difference today, Buck was not joining them Bev went to wake Buck and could not. For reasons unknown Buck Passed last night in spite of seemingly recovering well. The loss has devastated us. Bev, out of habit, filled the three food bowls. Bucks two brothers emptied 2 and left the third full. Bucks loss has effected even our other Dogs.

I would like to make a call out to our West/Central PA and Eastern Ohio members... If anyone knows of any $200 or less, Small Breed Puppies for sale or needing a home, PLEASE let me know. I live in Emporium, Cameron County. Our Van is old, with high miles. We would be willing to travel 100 miles but am apprehensive about traveling further. I thank you in advance if you know of any Puppies...JJ

Buck is the Beagle top left...

20190101_104626.jpg

Last Friday night one of my 3 boys, the youngest Beagle Brother, Buck, broke his harness and ran into the street. He was hit by a passing car as my Wife Beverly was trying to call him back. The Driver saw Buck and swerved but still hit him. We nursed Buck over the weekend and took him to a Vet last Monday. The Vet could not take X rays, but gave Buck a thorough exam and found nothing broken just a strained tendon in Bucks leg, that had bruising and some road rash. Each day Buck seemed to get better. He started eating and drinking. By midweek, Buck would walk to the door with his brothers to go outside. Bucks rowdy and playful attitude was the only thing missing and we assumed he just needed time to heel. Last night Buck went outside with his brothers before bed. He came in , had a drink of water and laid down in his favorite spot on the floor where we made a bed of blankets and pillow for him. This morning Bev woke to the boys wanting to go out. The difference today, Buck was not joining them Bev went to wake Buck and could not. For reasons unknown Buck Passed last night in spite of seemingly recovering well. The loss has devastated us. Bev, out of habit, filled the three food bowls. Bucks two brothers emptied 2 and left the third full. Bucks loss has effected even our other Dogs.
I would like to make a call out to our West/Central PA and Eastern Ohio members... If anyone knows of any $200 or less Small Breed Puppies for sale or needing a home, PLEASE let me know. I live in Emporium, Cameron County. Our Van is old, with high miles. We would be willing to travel 100 miles but am apprehensive about traveling further. I thank you in advance if you know of any Puppies...JJ

Buck is the Beagle top left...

View attachment 458853
I'm so sorry to here of your loss. People that have never had a pet don't understand how close you can get to them. Like family. Your story has brought tears to my eyes, thinking about my lab I had for 15 years. I will never forget her, and still miss her so much. Time will help, but it will never heal.

JJ I am so sorry for your loss, it is one of the hardest things to go through.

I lost one of mine at a young age 2 months ago and I am still not over the loss. Here’s hoping you find unconditional love in a new pup.

• Sad
Reactions: chef jimmyj
So sad to hear that! I know how much you love your dogs! We also just lost our 13 yr old last week. Her kidneys were failing so we had to put her to sleep. Thankfully our vet makes house calls and she is now resting with 3 other past loved ones. But is still hard. Wish you the best of luck with your search of a new one!

Ryan

• Sad
JJ so sorry to hear this. Like roc your story brought tears to my eyes. Our two dogs are dear to me and I am crazy protective of then. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. Hope someone locates a nice new family member for you. I’ll keep and eye out, I’m in NE Ohio.

Sorry to hear this JJ. It's never easy to say goodbye to a furry loved one. The wife and I are preparing ourselves for Skidmarks passing. He's 13 years old and his legs(especially the hind) are starting to give out. Summer time isn't too bad, but with our VT winter coming up quickly. I'm not sure he'll be able to handle it. We've already made him carpeted ramps for all our stairs and it seems to help. Snow and cold may be the deciding factor.

Chris :emoji_disappointed:

• Sad
So sorry to hear this JJ. It is definately a hard thing to get through as we had to put our 14yr. lab down 3 months ago and I'm still having a tough time every now and then. I will keep my eyes and ears open for any puppies for sale or needing a good home. You and your family take care.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Buck, our fourteen year old Jack Russell has really been showing his age from time to time lately we know all to well the day is coming.😟

• Sad
I am so sorry, JJ....... I can't even imagine how you and your wife feel right now... and my heart brakes fo you.... I have two beagles and they are part of family. They are 6 and 8 years old. Time flies... I hope you'll find adorable poppy soon....

So sorry to hear. breaks my heart to hear about losing dogs. may he be in peace and waiting for you on the other side. Hope you can find another dog sole to bring into your loving home. Take care

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky