Looking for Sandwich Meat Ideas - From Ground Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Ok I'm turning to you guys for some sandwich meat ideas.

The Restrictions:
  • Sandwich meat must be made from ground meat and ground pork fat or beef fat
  • NOT dry aged cure#2 meats (I don't have the setup even for a fridge and Umai bags :( )
  • Lets throw Bologna out the window since it is a very obvious option and I'm looking for a range of different or even unique ideas

The Goal:
I'm looking to make some sandwich meat products that are not crazy high in calorie content that I can use to make simple sandwiches (lettuce, onion, tomato, and mustard) or chop/tear up and throw into a salad.
I would like to be able to easily count the calories and know that what I put into it is of good quality rather than fillers and junk.

I already make an awesome tasting Venison Pastrami from ground venison and pork back fat. I just need to add some soy protein isolate (I have it on hand) so that it doesn't tear apart so easily after freezing and defrosting.

I would love to add another 2-3 sandwich meat products to the arsenal :D

Let me know what you have and I look forward to all the great suggestions I think are about to be fired out :D

Probably equally as obvious as bologna, but summer sausage? I want to try making fermented summer sausage with a culture, I don't think you need fancy hardware for that. Might get closer to cured salami taste. I found this recipe a while back. I also want to experiment with a wider range of flavors like roasted garlic, cumin, chili powders, curry powders...stuff that's not typical for summer sausage.

I'm definitely going to try your venison pastrami recipe. I also have some recipes in my list for loaf venison "bacon" that are similar.

Quick edit - just thought of another one - gyro meat. I think Alton Brown has a recipe for that online (he did a show about it) where you make a loaf and rotisserie/smoke then slice for flatbread sandwiches.

Probably equally as obvious as bologna, but summer sausage? I want to try making fermented summer sausage with a culture, I don't think you need fancy hardware for that. Might get closer to cured salami taste. I found this recipe a while back. I also want to experiment with a wider range of flavors like roasted garlic, cumin, chili powders, curry powders...stuff that's not typical for summer sausage.

I'm definitely going to try your venison pastrami recipe. I also have some recipes in my list for loaf venison "bacon" that are similar.

Quick edit - just thought of another one - gyro meat. I think Alton Brown has a recipe for that online (he did a show about it) where you make a loaf and rotisserie/smoke then slice for flatbread sandwiches.

Gryo meat!!!! Thanks for the suggestion!
You will love that ground venison pastrami I just know it. I plan to add 2% of soy protein isolate to solve the weak binding issue seen after freezing and thawing.

I really think I will be making loaves or doing about 4 inch logs/tubes of meat for this.

Summer sausage is another kind of obvious one but I wouldn't mind a small batch of it with Jalapenos. I'm going to leave out cheeses for the time being.

As for cured and dry aged meats I don't have the fridge space or an extra fridge to go the UMAI bag route and I don't have a room or chamber to it more traditionally much less the ability to tightly control temp and humidity. UMAI would be the route I would go but that will be in the future :)

Yes I love the gyro meat, especially if you can mix some lamb in. I make Greek salads for lunch and put it in on that. Banana peppers, bell peppers, olives, feta, crumbled up pita chips, homemade dressing. Good stuff!

I think the recipe for fermented summer sausage I found involves using damp towels and an oven set on "warm". Nothing fancy, thought it'd be worth a shot next time I'm summer sausaging.

I made some "salami" using AC Leggs #103 hot Italian sausage mix... I made the muslin bags.. bought the muslin from W-M.. Hung it in the smoker and let it almost dry out.. It firmed up nicely after several hours in the smoker at 160 ish.. probably 10-12 hours... Came out pretty darn good... You can make salami from anything... beef jerky mix might be good... I like the heat and spices in the Italian Hot...

... DSCF2446.JPG

I have been wanting to make an olive loaf.
The reason I haven't is because Judy doesn't like olives.
But I think the next time I make bologna, I will make a double batch & make an olive loaf with one & bologna with the other.
Al

Reactions: per2467
But I think the next time I make bologna, I will make a double batch & make an olive loaf with one & bologna with the other.
Al
I love olive loaf, do you have a recipe to share?

I would just use my bologna recipe & add a bunch of green olives.
I use the bologna seasoning mix from TheSausageMaker.
It makes very good tasting bologna.
Al

Yes I love the gyro meat, especially if you can mix some lamb in. I make Greek salads for lunch and put it in on that. Banana peppers, bell peppers, olives, feta, crumbled up pita chips, homemade dressing. Good stuff!

I think the recipe for fermented summer sausage I found involves using damp towels and an oven set on "warm". Nothing fancy, thought it'd be worth a shot next time I'm summer sausaging.

I'd like to see how that sausage goes, be sure and post when you make it!

I made some "salami" using AC Leggs #103 hot Italian sausage mix... I made the muslin bags.. bought the muslin from W-M.. Hung it in the smoker and let it almost dry out.. It firmed up nicely after several hours in the smoker at 160 ish.. probably 10-12 hours... Came out pretty darn good... You can make salami from anything... beef jerky mix might be good... I like the heat and spices in the Italian Hot......

I love some Salami and was hoping someone would post a simple approach like yours. Thank Dave!

Len Poli's site has a number of good lunch meat recipes.
Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely look it up some time today when work is slow :)

Al
It's funny you mention olive loaf. My brother decided to bring over and leave 4-5 olive jars and a jalapeno jar that were all 1/2 to 3/4 full. So I poured all the contents into a strainer and then chopped it all up in my little hand-pull chopper tool and then pout it back in the largest jar with the combination of juice that was strained. Made an awesome olive salad/bruschetta/muffaletta olive mix with it :)

I could throw that into 1 batch. I'm thinking a hybrid salami and muffaletta olive loaf!!!

Tall- Your Pastrami Loaf has been on my list of "must try". Have you made Bear's "Bear Loaf"? He does his in foil pans and slices them, but I just stuff it in old plastic bread bags to form and set up before smoking. Your olive idea would be really good in this.
20161115_181347.jpg

Tall- Your Pastrami Loaf has been on my list of "must try". Have you made Bear's "Bear Loaf"? He does his in foil pans and slices them, but I just stuff it in old plastic bread bags to form and set up before smoking. Your olive idea would be really good in this.
Oh man I forgot about the Bear Loafs. I've seen them before and I'm glad you mentioned it. That is another great option for my list. Thanks! :)

Hey Tall,
This has been my Favorite Cold Sammy since I was a Teenager.
I make it from Beef or Venison.
Don't know if you ever had it:
Link:
Dried Beef (Best Ever)

Bear

This would be great for 1 of my 2 Axis deer sirloin/football roasts! I wish I had more of them.
If I can empty some space in the freezer I may be able to whack a couple of wild porkers and then I could do the same with some of the wild pig roasts!
My cousin who helps his 2 boys raise hogs for FHA dropped 3 wild/feral hogs he said two were around 300lbs and the last was around 400lbs. He wasn't well prepared for the 19 degree temps outside and the pigs were so big he said he was only able to take the backstraps out of them and unfortunately had to leave the rest for the other wildlife to feast off of.
Here in TX if you pop them and don't eat them its extermination of a way overpopulated pest, if you do eat them or part of them then it's hunting. Either way is a win.

I would love to go prepared to handle such a situation and come back with a ton of wild pork. Maybe in a few weeks :)

I have made the Bear loaf in bagel bags now several times. In fact I just sliced up another 5 lbs this week. So guess what's in my sandwich today? I really like it, but I think I am also going to try a ground turkey version of it next.

I have also been experimenting the "meat glue" and making boneless butt hams that are glued back together. They make great ham sandwich slices!

I have made the Bear loaf in bagel bags now several times. In fact I just sliced up another 5 lbs this week. So guess what's in my sandwich today? I really like it, but I think I am also going to try a ground turkey version of it next.

I have also been experimenting the "meat glue" and making boneless butt hams that are glued back together. They make great ham sandwich slices!

If you ever meat glue two turkey breasts together and smoke let me know. I was reading about the official meat glue enzyme "transglutaminase" and was curious about how well it would work with chicken or turkey breasts. Its on my radar to research and see what it's all about good or bad :)

How about a Kielbasi Loaf
Richie

I would be up for that idea, the only issue I have is that there seems to be so many variations of Kielbasi out there that if you know of an amazing recipe I would be all ears for it :)

I love gyro loaf! I make Alton Brown's version of both the meat and the sauce. Google it and give it a try. Just make sure your wife eats some too as the meat and sauce has some serious garlic breath!
Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky