Looking for Sandwich Meat Ideas - From Ground Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you ever meat glue two turkey breasts together and smoke let me know. I was reading about the official meat glue enzyme "transglutaminase" and was curious about how well it would work with chicken or turkey breasts. Its on my radar to research and see what it's all about good or bad :)

Yes. That stuff. It will definitely work for that. So far I have only used it on pork, but I have read it is often used in competition for gluing the skin back on chicken thighs to keep the appearance. There are several iterations of it. I just bought a package of "Moo-Gloo" from Amazon which is the RM formula.

I don't know if you visit the Pinterest website or not but there are hundreds of recipes for homemade sandwich style meats on that site. Many of them are of European origin, German, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, etc. Something for you to think about...

SMB

Folks...... Remember..... When you use MEAT GLUE.... The meat MUST be cooked like it was ground poultry... You have introduced bacteria all throughout the meat... No rare, med rare etc.... and you also have NO IDEA what pathogens you have introduced... Sanitation is critical....

I don't know if you visit the Pinterest website or not but there are hundreds of recipes for homemade sandwich style meats on that site. Many of them are of European origin, German, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, etc. Something for you to think about...

SMB
I don't but I always could make one. Thanks for the suggestion as I think Pinterest would have a ton of options as well :)

Folks...... Remember..... When you use MEAT GLUE.... The meat MUST be cooked like it was ground poultry... You have introduced bacteria all throughout the meat... No rare, med rare etc.... and you also have NO IDEA what pathogens you have introduced... Sanitation is critical....
Good point Dave we should all keep that in mind.
I personally am only thinking about it for turkey breasts or chicken breasts which I would cook to 165F.
I could also see myself doing with with wild game meat to make bigger cuts so 165F would need to be used in that case which I don't mind with it being wild game and often I eat wild pork so I am sure to take it to 165F all over to avoid the threat of parasites :)

First off... What is MEAT GLUE? I'm sure I know but don't refer to it in the same manner.

Secondly, if you're implying that I suggested someone eat raw ground meats, your wrong, I merely suggested an option for more recipes. If you're referring to the fact that when you grind meat you are incorporating bacteria from the outside to the inside, that's a given. I sincerely hope that none of our forum members are so stupid as to eat ground meats raw or under-cooked but we can't be there looking over anyone's shoulder now can we?

SMB

First off... What is MEAT GLUE? I'm sure I know but don't refer to it in the same manner.
1. Transglutaminase... A commercial product that "naturally" glues chunks of meat together...

transglutaminase is an enzyme that catalyzes the formation of an isopeptide bond between a free amine group (e.g., protein- or peptide-bound lysine) and the acyl group at the end of the side chain of protein- or peptide-bound glutamine. The reaction also produces a molecule of ammonia. Such an enzyme is classified as EC 2.3.2.13. Bonds formed by transglutaminase exhibit high resistance to proteolytic degradation (proteolysis).

What is ‘Meat Glue’? | NutritionFacts.org
The so-called “meat glue enzyme” transglutaminase is used by the meat industry to add value to meat by gluing together smaller scraps into a larger chunk. And it’s not just used to make fake steak—the American Meat Institute estimates that it’s used in about “eight million pounds of meat every year in the United States.” Transglutaminase can be used to cross-link pieces of any type of meat, fish, or meat product, and hence can be used to produce large chunks of virtually intact looking meat or fish out of small meat or fish cuttings.

Secondly, if you're implying that I suggested someone eat raw ground meats, your wrong, I merely suggested an option for more recipes. If you're referring to the fact that when you grind meat you are incorporating bacteria from the outside to the inside, that's a given. I sincerely hope that none of our forum members are so stupid as to eat ground meats raw or under-cooked but we can't be there looking over anyone's shoulder now can we?

You didn't really intend to write that, did you ????

Wow... just like being in biology class!
I could care less about transglutaminase or it's lengthy definition, I don't use it or intend to start. What I know and use as MEAT GLUES are soy protien concentrate, powdered milk, and powdered gelatin. I guess if others want to experiment with MEAT GLUE, it's their perogative. Personally I've always preferred to keep things simple.

SMB

SMB

Wow... just like being in biology class!
I could care less about transglutaminase or it's lengthy definition, I don't use it or intend to start
. What I know and use as MEAT GLUES are soy protien concentrate, powdered milk, and powdered gelatin. I guess if others want to experiment with MEAT GLUE, it's their perogative. Personally I've always preferred to keep things simple.

SMB

Burt, afternoon... Hey.... you asked the question... I'm pretty sure some members found my post interesting.. If not from a "working with meat" point of view, then from a food safety point of view...
I noticed you have been on the forum for about a decade.. maybe you missed my interjections... Food safety is a big deal to me... If I find something that may help our members, I post it...

Burt, afternoon... Hey.... you asked the question... I'm pretty sure some members found my post interesting.. If not from a "working with meat" point of view, then from a food safety point of view...
I noticed you have been on the forum for about a decade.. maybe you missed my interjections... Food safety is a big deal to me... If I find something that may help our members, I post it...

Well . I jumped into this thread because I saw you had posted , and wanted to see what you had to say .
I've been using powder gelatin to stick breast halves together , and never gave any thought to the point you made above about cook temp . Opened my eyes , thanks .

Well . I jumped into this thread because I saw you had posted , and wanted to see what you had to say .
I've been using powder gelatin to stick breast halves together , and never gave any thought to the point you made above about cook temp . Opened my eyes , thanks .

You are welcome.... Dave

Dave,
Well sir, I do owe you an apology and I'm a big enough man to do so. I made the stupid mistake of not reading the entire thread, and thought you pounced on me for suggesting an alternative source for recipes... again, I'm sorry for coming across so crass. I did learn something from your reply concerning MEAT GLUE, and for that I'll say THANK YOU SIR!!

As I stated earlier, it's not something I'll ever use but for those who do, more power to them, I'll stay with the simplicity, I never ate paste glue like some kids did when I was in grade school so I see no reason to eat MEAT GLUE now!!... LOL!

SMB

Reactions: chopsaw and DanMcG
Give venison bacon a try. I used Cabela's mix. I thought it was ok, but my brother and his wife loved the stuff. Curleys has a mix that others on SMF have used with great reviews.

Give venison bacon a try. I used Cabela's mix. I thought it was ok, but my brother and his wife loved the stuff. Curleys has a mix that others on SMF have used with great reviews.
I tried it once in the past and it was good but I wasn't super thrilled with it. I may revisit it.

Meat loaf. Nothing like a good home made meat loaf sandwich!
Mmmmm smoked meatloaf is awesome. I made it two weekends in a row just recently hahaha.

Ground meat Bacon....BLT
I wasn't too thrilled with my attempt with it in the past. I tasted fine I just felt I wasn't much for it.

How about just a smoked hamburger? Simple I know, but has not been mentioned and a good hamburger is hard to beat!
This would taste great. I may just do this for burgers, I don't know how it would work for a sliced sandwich meat though. I'll have to experiment :)

Wow pops I forgot about your post on this. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. It is on the list for sure :)

I'm about to do 15 pounds of my ground Venison Pastrami real soon. I hope this upcoming weekend.
I also have another 3.25 pounds of ground beef fat after the pastrami is done so I think I will narrow down my options to those that would be more beefy in flavor rather than porky. What I may do is work on a Hot Link type recipe and just do it in loaves. This will let me know how close or how far off I am on a good hot link recipe.

Another potential option would be Czech Klobase (not to be confused with Kielbasa). I am 0 for 2 in my attempts but may give it a shot in loaf form to try and get it right. The biggest issue here is the lack of correct recipe info. This is a well guarded secret but I think I found a good COMPLETE source for the recipe online where the others were incomplete and total failures lol.

Ok so I have finalized.
I will be doing my ground Venison Pastrami and I will be doing a Texas Hot Gut sausage style with Jalapenos.
If I do a 3rd batch I will likely do an Olive Loaf using a German Bologna recipe as the base and because I have a bunch of olives to use up lol :)

My reasoning is that I have pure ground venison I'm using and I have plenty of ground beef fat that needs to be used and my pork fat has not been ground to be mixed with my ground venison :(

So my options have leaned heavily towards beef flavored items since my ground Venison tastes so close to beef as apposed to pork.

Thanks for all the input guys and feel free to add any more info you like as others may benefit from this discussion :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky