Look at all that smoke!

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by murdermode, Mar 16, 2015.

1. murdermode

murdermode Fire Starter

You can't even see inside the smoker!

2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks heavy. Whats makin the smoke?

3. murdermode

murdermode Fire Starter

A mailbox mod with an AMNPS!

4. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Is the exhaust vent fully opened?

5. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

That was my first thought as well...

You're only suppose to light one end! Not both ends and the middle at once... ;)

6. bmaddox

bmaddox Master of the Pit

Geez that is a lot of smoke for that setup. I run a mailbox mod with AMNPS as well and I can barely see the smoke through the door as it flows out nice and thin. (I only light one end)

7. murdermode

murdermode Fire Starter

Hey I like a lot of smoke! And yeah the vent was all the way open.

8. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

How many rows of the AMNPS were lit?

9. murdermode

murdermode Fire Starter

Both ends.

10. tjwheels

tjwheels Fire Starter

So what's in there with the smoke?

11. I would like to see how the meat taste? That much smoke could make the meat tart.

12. Tart and bitter I would think ............ but if that's what you like by all means, go for it!

13. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

No further comment.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  14. murdermode

murdermode Fire Starter

You are correct there is actually nothing in the smoker in that picture. Although that is how much smoke there is when I am smoking something so really that's a moot point. As for the meat I smoke I have never had a problem with taste at all. It all tastes fantastic.

15. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Fantastic,  I'm sure the mod helps in those regards.  [​IMG]

T

16. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I see nothing wrong with the smoke buildup inside your MES. My MES 30 doesn't have a window but when I need to open the door a bunch of smoke comes out and I think it's perfectly normal. I use the AMNPS and keep the top vent wide open. I get TBS out of the top vent. My food is never oversmoked so I know my MES is working properly.

17. murdermode

murdermode Fire Starter

Exactly. My food tastes great so I'm going to keep doing what I do. I'm getting personal messages now telling me I'm over smoking my food and I'm doing this and that wrong and honestly it's getting really annoying. I understand some of you people have been smoking since before I was born and I thank you for all the help. With that being said, if I didn't ask for your help please don't offer it. I know to an extent what I'm doing and what I want my food to taste like, and the way I do it tastes great to me and my family and friends. I've never had a complaint about my food. Please don't just send people messages telling them what they are doing wrong and what they should be doing, it's rude. Nowhere in this post did I ask for anyone's comment of if it was too much smoke. I just thought the picture looked cool.

18. bmaddox

bmaddox Master of the Pit

As long as you enjoy what you cook that is all that matters. There will always be someone that does something a different way and swears that their way is the only way (which I am guilty of doing on plenty of occasions). 

19. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

The #1 indication of oversmoking is where the smoke overpowers the food and leaves a harsh taste. I know this because that's how my smoked food tasted the first year I used my MES 30.

20. old sarge

old sarge Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I totally wrecked/ruined/destroyed a butt.  Once. It was so bad the dog wanted no part of it. My smoker uses chunks and I underestimated the weight of a chunk. While today I stick with a single chunk in the 2 to 4 ounce range (I cut and weigh) I added chunks every 4 hours or so to keep the smoke going.  That was 12 ounces of wood..  The meat was gummed up with what can only be described as creosote. So go light on the smoke.