Look at all that smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Exactly. My food tastes great so I'm going to keep doing what I do. I'm getting personal messages now telling me I'm over smoking my food and I'm doing this and that wrong and honestly it's getting really annoying. I understand some of you people have been smoking since before I was born and I thank you for all the help. With that being said, if I didn't ask for your help please don't offer it. I know to an extent what I'm doing and what I want my food to taste like, and the way I do it tastes great to me and my family and friends. I've never had a complaint about my food. Please don't just send people messages telling them what they are doing wrong and what they should be doing, it's rude. Nowhere in this post did I ask for anyone's comment of if it was too much smoke. I just thought the picture looked cool.
Hi

I think the forum members are very happy you like your finished product.

After you fully explaining your feelings about help , guidance advice or comments on there past mistakes you probably won't get any P/M's or comments to your posts. I am sure no one wanted to annoy you. free advice should be taken as that.

I just looked at my list of private messages and found I never sent you one. Glad I didn't annoy you

Good smoking to you. Jted

I totally wrecked/ruined/destroyed a butt.  Once. It was so bad the dog wanted no part of it. My smoker uses chunks and I underestimated the weight of a chunk. While today I stick with a single chunk in the 2 to 4 ounce range (I cut and weigh) I added chunks every 4 hours or so to keep the smoke going.  That was 12 ounces of wood..  The meat was gummed up with what can only be described as creosote. So go light on the smoke.  
I find your account very funny, especially in light of the what I've read on a couple of sites that you can't overcook a pork butt. Apparently from your experience you can oversmoke one but not overcook it!

Exactly. My food tastes great so I'm going to keep doing what I do. I'm getting personal messages now telling me I'm over smoking my food and I'm doing this and that wrong and honestly it's getting really annoying. I understand some of you people have been smoking since before I was born and I thank you for all the help. With that being said, if I didn't ask for your help please don't offer it. I know to an extent what I'm doing and what I want my food to taste like, and the way I do it tastes great to me and my family and friends. I've never had a complaint about my food. Please don't just send people messages telling them what they are doing wrong and what they should be doing, it's rude. Nowhere in this post did I ask for anyone's comment of if it was too much smoke. I just thought the picture looked cool.
You're right, People shouldn't be PM'ing you & telling you how much smoke to use.

If you like it heavy white, you can use it that way.

I have warned many Newbies about using smoke that is too heavy, but there's no rule that says you can't do it.

If I would have gotten to this thread earlier, before you expressed your love of heavy white smoke, I would have suggested it was too heavy too, but I won't do that now that I know you like it.

I wouldn't get too mad at them though, because if you do anything that is thought to be harmful by others, they might not want to be putting you down in front of everybody, so they might PM you.

I would just say, "Thank You, but I like it that way".

I'm sure they mean no offense or disrespect.

Bear

One has to admit the photo did beg for attention, although in retrospect it was unnecessary, and posted solely for the cool factor. 

Hey I like a lot of smoke! And yeah the vent was all the way open.

Evening..... HEY !!!!! sometimes folks don't exactly read into a thread, what message you are trying to convey.... They see the first post, ASSUME what they should answer..... There you go....

Personally, I like the smoke level to be what you can see in the load of cheese.....

Evening..... HEY !!!!! sometimes folks don't exactly read into a thread, what message you are trying to convey.... They see the first post, ASSUME what they should answer..... There you go....

Personally, I like the smoke level to be what you can see in the load of cheese.....

Yup---Looks Perfect to me!

Bear

My AMNPS in the mailbox often puffs like an old clapped out small block Chevy, has looked very similar to the OP pix. Everything I have had from it was tasty. But I have since moved away from the MES and started using my BGE more. Will be finishing my UDS today so that will be seeing some use as well. Will be building a RF here soon as well. Give me real wood smoke or give me death lol...

Last edited:
Rick, Yes indeed one can ruin a butt. Coming out of the smoker, it was a thing of beauty to be sure.  And had that wonderful hickory aroma  I love so much. However, it just was not possible to shred it/pull it without contaminating the interior meat. By the time I had it fully shredded and incorporated the outer with the inner, it was too late. I have a dog that will eat anything, and he gets his share of what is smoked, but on that eventful day, he sniffed, he licked, he walked away with an empty mouth. I don't know who was more disappointed me or the dog.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky