Long time smoker from MI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zer1

Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Hi guys & gals. I have been smoking off and on since the late sixties. Started with my dad using a barrel a trench in the ground and corn cobs for fuel. Later using brinkman smokers until recently. I just bought a webber smoky mountain 23 1/2". I added model airplane servos to the air intakes with automation hardware/software. I worked for 10 years doing chemical lab automation. It can control within 5 degrees of setpoint. Have made some real good beef jerky and lake trout so far. Seen this site recently and liked what i seen. Glad to be here!!!

Yes figured i would try the vent control. It works well most of the time. Today it was cold and windy here in Michigan. Was having some problems recovering to the setpoint when adding wood or opening. Still made some good beef jerky. I may add fan control to my setup to recover temp faster.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky