Loins & Pig Candy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 29, 2006
Peculiar, MO
Bought two small pork loins. Also got 5 lbs. of thick sliced (1/4") slab bacon, $1.29 lb., looks good, have not opened it yet.
Then I saw Dutch's sausage stuffed loin. Happen to have a fatty in the fridge. Think I will use it and try stuffing one.
I'll rub the other and make some mahogany sauce.
Gonna make pig candy out of the bacon.
Smoking tomorrow. Pics to follow.
Weather really changed, temp. dropped, possible SNOW flurry tonight! That just ain't right! Long as it's not windy it will be a good day to smoke.

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You guys are always doing things that make me go ... huh!
First of all ... what is mahogany sauce? And how would I use it?

Just curious in Canada!

Squeezy

looking forward to seeing this....
PDT_Armataz_01_24.gif

i know about the sudden weather change... ribs and the makings of pastrami were suppose to go on smoker yesterday.... snow and very strong winds...very cold

tomorrow they are going on the smoker any weather...lol

Look forward to some pics of the pig candy. Been wanting to try some myself. Are you going with just brown sugar, or do you have another plan?

25 mph north wind, gusty, increasing as the day goes on, 26 deg., occasional flakes. Even with a piece of "building tin" for a windbreak it is really hard to keep the temp. up in the 'ol geezer ECB.
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif

Think I will try it Saturday! WAIT! Can't do that, doing the KCBS BBQ judge cert.! Sunday, Easter loin!
Anyone who has not checked out KickAssBBQ's site should. I make his pig candy with just dark brown sugar, smoke it with hickory, and it is delicious. Makes you lick your fingers. It does not last long. Try it and you will be hooked. Need to find some good thick cut country slab bacon.

Well, finally got around to doing a bit of smoking, though NOT what I had planned. Jane spent last week in IL on business and is in Charlotte this week on business. Hard to just smoke for one.
I had 4 small pork loins, marinated two (teriyaki) and rubbed two. Marinating was a waste, the two I rubbed are great. Made some baked beans & creamy cole slaw, I'm eatin good.
Made 3 pans of pig candy. It's all gone. All I can say is try it, you WILL like it.
Weather is still the pits. Windy. Rained all day and into tomorrow. Possible SNOW again Saturday! Supposed to warm back up to 70's midweek.
Pics of pig candy before and after smoking, and loins after smoking.
68e9354d_vbattach12248.jpg

7ab5679d_vbattach12246.jpg

680ff89b_vbattach12247.jpg

I am fascinated with this Pig Candy. Looks simple and GOOOOD! I have used the search function but didnt have much luck locating any details on exactly what the process is .......... someone please help ......... I WANT SOME PIG CANDY!

.......... PeculiarMike .......... BTW....... Everything looks great!

If I have room with the chicken and babybacks, (i may need a bigger smoker yet!), I have some thick sliced bacon just waiting to be turned into pig candy. It looks similar to the recipe where you wrap small hotdogs in bacon, pin with a tooth pick, place in pan , cover with brown sugar, annd bake in the oven. I bet they would be good in the smoker too. They make for one great snack.

The pig candy, do you eat it hot or cold? Or does it not last long enough to get cold?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky