Loaded Potato Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Evening. Cool day here in Tennessee. Potato soup was in order. Didn't take any step by step pics as they are pretty self explanatory. Here's the ingredients:

8c yukon gold potatoes (peeled/diced)
6c chicken broth
2 small vidalia onion (diced)
1 stick unsalted butter
Half cup flour
Half cup sour cream
3c heavy cream
3c sharp cheddar
2lb bacon
Chopped green onions

Peel and dice tater and onions. Place in crockpot with the chicken stock. Cook on low for 6hr until tender.

After that is finished. Place butter in a pan. Melt. Stir in flour to make a roux. Add in cream slowly. Then sour cream. Stirring until it starts to thicken. Once it's finished pour into crockpot. Add 2.5c of the sharp cheddar. Stir and replace lid. Let cook 30min. While that's finishing cook your bacon. Drain then chop.

When done we make a bowl with added cheese. Bacon and green onions. We've been doing this for 10 years and is the most delicious potato soup we've had. Nice day around the fireplace watching college football. This soup isn't healthy. It's the kind of stuff that makes you breathe heavily afterwards. Well worth it
IMG_20201024_191640.jpg

Hell Yeah!
Toss in a handful of sauteed and chopped Serranos and I'm all over it, yum!
Thanks Chile. It's so delicious. I normally top mine with some pickled jalapenos but we were out. Made white chicken chili about a week ago and used them all

Man I love potato soup. But I could hear my arteries hardening up just reading the ingredient list. Then I realized you were using UNSALTED butter, and that slowed the hardening down considerably made it seem downright healthy (I can always add salt and pepper at the table.) LOL. Sure sounds good for me.
How many were you planning to feed?? A lot of people I hope.
I'll be whipping up a batch of this.
Gary

Reactions: Fueling Around
Man I love potato soup. But I could hear my arteries hardening up just reading the ingredient list. Then I realized you were using UNSALTED butter, and that slowed the hardening down considerably made it seem downright healthy (I can always add salt and pepper at the table.) LOL. Sure sounds good for me.
How many were you planning to feed?? A lot of people I hope.
I'll be whipping up a batch of this.
Gary
Lol I hear ya Gary. I'm a "health nut" so I always use unsalted butter lol. Jk . This recipe makes a full 6qt crockpot. I have a family of 6 and we'll have enough for 3 bowls or so of leftovers. You can definitely cut this recipe in half. Let me know what you think

It says 2# of bacon in the recipe, did you eat half there’s not much on your bowl? I hope to try this one soon thanks.

It says 2# of bacon in the recipe, did you eat half there’s not much on your bowl? I hope to try this one soon thanks.
Lol B. That's 2lb for the whole thing. In my pic I stirred a bunch in then topped with a bit more. I'd say 5 strips. Any remaining bacon is for leftovers tomorrow. Hope you like it

Jake that looks and sounds amazing! Will have to try this...maybe I'll take two cholesterol pills! Lol Calling for 3 to 5 inches of snow through tomorrow so definitely soup weather.

Not sure of some comments made on your post but don't let the minions bother you. If some haven't figured out that this is a learning and supportive forum the most of us know better. Keep up the good work!

Ryan

Jake that looks and sounds amazing! Will have to try this...maybe I'll take two cholesterol pills! Lol Calling for 3 to 5 inches of snow through tomorrow so definitely soup weather.

Not sure of some comments made on your post but don't let the minions bother you. If some haven't figured out that this is a learning and supportive forum the most of us know better. Keep up the good work!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. It's a double cholesterol type of soup lol. Appreciate the support and encouragement

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks great Jake! It's about time that I make another pot. I pretty much do this the same. Except I add a pack of lil smokies and hot sauce.

We make ours in a pot on a induction plate so the temp stays really steady and not burn, diced city ham smoked for a little while adds another layer of flavor, hard to stop with 1 bowl lol , not sure I have enuf will power to wait on the crock pot .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky