Loaded Meatloaf

Discussion in 'Beef' started by 5oclocksomewher, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Well, I wanted to smoke something different today, so I decided on meatloaf. I've never attempted one before so this should be interesting. I mixed beef and pork 2-1. I used seasoned breadcrumbs, onions, small cubed horseradish cheese, egg, and crushed tomatoes. I rubbed it down with mustard and Jeff's rub, and off to the smoker at about 300 degrees at 3pm.

2. Wow, you have really come a long way When you jumped in you jumped in, from asking a few basic questions to smoking everything and helping new members as well.  Good Job.

Gary S

3. Great to hear from you Gary!!! Thank you so much!!! Just following your advice - Don't make a project out of it, enjoy it!!! If it tastes great it's awesome, if not it's a learnig expierence. I needed that advice.

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Once you have smoked meatloaf you won't want it any other way! So good! Nice smoke!

5. One hour in and opened the lid to find it split. I probably should have used more eggs and breadcrumbs to bind it. Maybe I made it too big- 5 lbs. Good or bad I'm running with it. Cruising at 300 degrees.

6. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Probably just needed a little liquid to allow the binders to incorporate better. I do 3-4.5 lb'ers when I smoke them and the consistency is a bit "sticky."

Yours still looks tasty 5.Oc.S!

7. Thanks NB. Hopefully it will taste good. I don't see why not. Like I posted before, it's a learning expierence.

8. Two hours in at 160. Looking for 170.

9. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great! I don't use eggs and very rarely use bread crumbs. I do like to use cooked quinoa or brown rice. Also when I smoke I don't use a pan. Sometimes I'll set a pan below the meatloaf to catch the drippings if I want gravy. I get splits every once in a whole but not too often. I usually am running 265-285 for pit temp. Pull when the meatloaf reaches 150IT.

10. 2 1/2 hours later. IT 168.

11. Maybe the best meatloaf I've ever tasted!!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  12. Was a little worried, but it turned out awesome!!!

13. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Man...that's a pretty plate! :drool

Nice going! Thumbs Up

Red

14. Thanks Red, means a lot. I will be making again!!!

15. Thanks Case. I wasn't going to use a pan, but decided to use it at the last minute because it was so big. It would have been to hard to handle without the pan. Anyway, smoked meatloaf is the only meatloaf for me.

16.   That looks wonderful. I love smoked meatloaf. I might never have thought of it without this forum.

Chuck

17. Thanks Chuck. It was very tasty. The cheese and the onion really give it that extra zing.

stovebolt likes this.