Living it up in Chandler, Az!! I'm Mr. Dad!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yortchko

Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
I'm smoking a 6.25 lb Bone-in Pork Butt @225-230 for 12hours?? Should I grill the Tri-Tips or smoke them??

Yortchko, welcome to SMF! Glad you're here and looking for answers. Since it's Tuesday though, I'm guessing you're long past the need for an answer.

Personally, about the only time I smoke tri tips anymore is when I have several to smoke, or am smoking more than one type of meat. They only need about 2 hours of low temp smoke, then a 2-4 minute per side reverse sear over high heat on the grill. Otherwise they are just kind of grey looking meat.

Normally I do something I call a smoky grill if I'm just cooking one tri tip roast. I use a Weber Kettle, put a quarter chimney of hot charcoal in the baskets, put on a couple small wood chunks, sear for 2-4 minutes per side with the lid on, then move them over to the indirect heat side of the grill with the lid on until they reach an internal temp of 130-135F, which usually takes another 40-50 minutes.

Let us know what you decided.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a muggy wet day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky